QC traffic chief faces raps for breaking car window
Aileen Cerrudo • October 2, 2019 • 939
Quezon City Traffic Chief Atty. Ariel Inton is facing carnapping and administrative cases after breaking the window of an illegally parked car on September 24.
Inton broke the window of a 1990 Nissan Maxima that had been parked for two years on the corner of Panay Avenue.
According to Inton, he is ready to face the raps against him.
“Kung sasampahan nila tayo ng carnapping edi tignan natin. Kung sino man ang abogadong hahawak niyan palagay ko naman, alam niya iyan bilang abogado na walang carnapping doon (If they will file carnapping charges against me, then we’ll see. Whoever is the lawyer that will handle the case, I think they will know there was no carnapping there),” he said.
He already apologized for the incident and submitted his resignation to Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte. However, Belmonte did not accept his resignation.
Based on the Facebook post of QC Task Force for Transport and Traffic Management, Belmonte appreciated the humility shown by Inton for immediately apologizing after the incident.
“Belmonte said that leaders of different organizations must emulate the leadership of Inton who knows how to apologize, takes full responsibility of his actions and non-compromising in executing the full extent of the law,” the post read.
Meanwhile, Inton previously reiterated he merely based his action on the 2004 City Ordinance where it is in the authority of a local official to confiscate illegally parked vehicles.
“As I said I will take the responsibility. Sa tingin ko naman sa pagharap natin diyan makikita naman kung ano iyong katotohanan diyan, ( I think, we will see the truth)” he said.—AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)
MANILA, Philippines — The Quezon City government has placed four new areas under special concern lockdown following an increase in the number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases after the holiday season.
The four areas include:
No. 62 Agno Extension in Barangay Tatalon;
No. 1 Salary Street in Barangay Sangandaan;
No. 54 Interior, Magsalin Street in Barangay Apolonio Samson;
9C, 9D, 97 La Felonila Street in Barangay Damayang Lagi
The Quezon City Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (CESU) imposes special concern lockdowns in areas where clustering and possible community transmission have been observed, in order to curtail the further spread of the virus.
“These granular lockdowns are our immediate and proactive response to control the situation in these areas,” Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte said.
“Since last year, our special concern lockdowns have been proven effective in controlling the spread of the disease among neighbors and families,” she added.
60 families are affected in the Agno Extension in Barangay Tatalon while Salary street in Barangay Sangandaan has 5 families under strict quarantine.
In Magsalin street, the CESU has identified 14 index cases with 60 families under lockdown while 150 families are affected in La Felonila Street.
CESU Head Dr. Rolly Cruz said all families in the said areas will undergo swab testing in order to identify other infected individuals.
However, even if they tested negative, all will still have to finish the 14-day mandatory quarantine period to check if they will develop any symptoms during the said period, he added.
The four new areas are in addition to the two areas earlier placed under special concern lockdown namely MCP HOA and a portion of the Pingkian 1, Central B in Barangay Pasong Tamo.
They have been under lockdown since January 7 and January 14, respectively.
MANILA, Philippines – Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte on Monday denounced the decision of the local government of Arayat, Pampanga to restrict the entry of the city’s residents into the municipality following reports that a resident from QC tested positive for the UK COVID-19 variant after traveling overseas.
In a statement, Belmonte called the local government’s decision ‘totally without basis’ and is ‘tantamount to discrimination’.
“We strongly denounce the Arayat local government’s decision to restrict the entry of Quezon City residents to their municipality, because this decision is totally without basis, can cause undue panic, and is tantamount to discrimination,” she said.
Belmonte pointed out that the patient did not set foot in Quezon City after arriving from Dubai on January 7 when he was tested and that he stayed in a facility as part of the 14-day mandatory quarantine period.
“The day after, it was confirmed he was COVID-19 positive. His sample was sent to the Philippine Genome Center. On the night of January 13, the city government and the city health department were informed by the DOH that he has the so-called United Kingdom variant. Since January 8, he has been staying at a facility where he remains up to this day for treatment,” she said.
The Department of Health (DOH) earlier reported that the patient traveled to Dubai on December 27 and returned to the country on January 7. His female companion tested negative for the virus but is also under quarantine and strict monitoring.
The DOH added that both had no exposure to a confirmed case before leaving the country.
Belmonte likewise emphasized that a total of 143 individuals, who are considered contacts of the patient have been identified, quarantined, and are closely being monitored.
“Among them are more than 30 healthcare workers and barangay workers who assisted and cared for the patient when he was transferred from the quarantine hotel in Manila to the isolation facility in Quezon City after he was tested positive for the virus,” she said.
Belmonte then appealed to the Arayat LGU to “reconsider its earlier order and allow QC residents to enter its jurisdiction.”
The Arayat LGU has yet to respond to Belmonte’s statement.
MANILA, Philippines — The Quezon City Government is set to launch KyusiPass application to boost its contact tracing efforts.
QC Mayor Joy Belmonte said the contact tracing app can help the city keep track of who is visiting establishments within its jurisdiction.
“Currently, our businesses are requiring their guests to fill-up health declaration forms. Through our KyusiPass, they will just tap their QR code onto the scanner and their information, including their name and mobile number, will automatically be sent to our servers handled by our City Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (CESU),” she said.
Belmonte said each individual with a valid mobile number who is residing, working, or doing business in Quezon City is required to get a personal QR code. They can register by signing up on the SafePass website, SafePass Facebook chatbot, and through SMS.
Meanwhile, CESU head Dr. Rolly Cruz assures app users that their data will remain private and protected.
“Our QCitizens have nothing to worry about because their data will be protected and secured. Only us in CESU can access their information, and only if we need to trace the contacts of a ‘positive’ visitor from a specific establishment,” he noted. AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.