QC police nabs 9 in overnight anti-drug ops

admin   •   October 24, 2018   •   2256

 

Suspects nabbed at Barangay Greater Lagro, Mindanao extension District 5, Quezon City on October 24, 2018

QUEZON CITY, Philippines — A man and his niece were arrested Wednesday at dawn for allegedly dealing illegal drugs at Barangay Pinyahan, Quezon City.

The two had been placed under surveillance by the Quezon City Police District for two weeks prior to the buy-bust operation.

The suspects were identified as George Cagioa alias Tatang, (59), and Irish Michaela Padilla alias Negra, both residents of Baranay Pinyahan.

Authorities found the suspects in possession of 10 sachets of suspected shabu, a cellphone and three P100 bills that were used in the buy-bust operation.

Police also arrested a buyer identified as Romeo de Ocampo.

The suspects vehemently denied ownership of the recovered illegal drugs.

“Nanonood po ako ng telebisyon bigla silang pumunta sa bahay ko. Hindi po akin yan, nasa labas po ako nung naghalughog sila. Hindi ko po alam bakit nagkaroon diyan (I was watching the television when they [police] barged into my house. Those [drugs] are not mine, I was outside when they searched the house. I don’t how those got in there), ” said Cagioa.

Barangay Councilor Anthony Prodigalidad said that their area has been suffering from the menace of illegal drugs and they prepared to work with authorities in solving it.

“Sakit na sa ulo…sabi ko nga ‘kalian ba mahihinto ang problema sa droga sa Pinyahan? (It’s such a pain. I ask myself, “When will Pinayahan be rid of this drug problem”), he said.

Meanwhile, another drug pusher was caught under the anti-criminality law enforcement operation of Barangay Pasong Tamo in Quezon City.

The suspect, Efren Pipen Ramo, has been arrested and jailed three times already for robbery and hold-up.

Ramo said he went into drug dealing because he needed the money to make ends meet after the motorized tricycle he used to operate for his livelihood broke down.

“Nagbebenta po ako pero bihira lang po. Bihira lang po kapag may iniwan, kapag may dumating. Sira po tricycle ko. Nagsisisi po kaya nga lang kailangan eh, (I sell drugs but not all the time. I only sell when a supply comes in. My tricycle needs repair. I regret [dealing drugs] but I had to) said Ramo.

Another buy-bust operation by the PNP at Barangay Greater Lagro, Mindanao extension District 5, Quezon City, yielded five arrests.

The police were targeting a suspected drug pusher Hadji Hassim, who operates in the area.

“Mailap po talaga yan kasi tingin [namin] malaking tulak yang si Hadji (Hadji is really elusive because he is believed to be a notorious pusher),” PNP Station 5 Police Chief Inspector Don-Don Lapitan said.

Authorities were able to recover from the operation one SUV, a motorcycle, buy-bust money, three cellphones and five sachets of suspected illegal drugs. — Gerry Galicia

QC bans single-use plastic, Palace hopes other LGUs will follow

Aileen Cerrudo   •   December 2, 2019

The Quezon City government approved an ordinance that will ban single-use plastic effective January 1, 2020.

According to the Quezon City government single-use plastics and other disposable materials will no longer be allowed in establishments in Quezon City such as in hotels, restaurants and other business establishments.

Chariman of the Committee on Parks and Environment in Quezon City, Hon. Dorothy Delarmente said hotels will no longer be allowed to distribute shampoo and soaps inside plastic sachets and single-use containers.

“Regardless how it was made or manufactured for as long as its purpose for single-use it is covered by the ordinance,” she said.

Establishments that will violate the said ordinance will face the following penalties:

1st Offense P1,000 Penalty
2nd Offense P3,000 Penalty
3rd Offense P5,000 Penalty + Revocation of Business Permit and Closure Order

Meanwhile, Malacañang hopes that other local governments will follow Quezon City’s ordinance on the single-use plastic ban.

“I suppose all local government would follow suit, since the president has already made a stand on that,” according to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.—AAC (with reports from Dante Amento and Rosalie Coz)

4 suspected robbers killed in QC shootout

Robie de Guzman   •   October 15, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Four suspects in a robbery incident were killed in a shootout with police in Payatas Road, Quezon City early Tuesday morning.

According to the Batasan Police Station, they were patrolling the area at around 3 a.m. when they received a report about a robbery incident in a convenience store and gasoline station involving the suspects.

Responding police officers engaged the suspects in a brief gunfight that led to the death of the purported robbers.

Prior to the encounter, workers at the gasoline station said the four suspects, wearing black masks and helmets, arrived in the area on board two motorcycles and declared a hold-up.

“Hinawakan po ako sa leeg tapos pinadapa po ako. Tapos kinuha na po ang pera ng company tapos kasama yung cellphone,” recounted Elmer Boduan, who works as a cashier at the gasoline station.

While two of the suspects were robbing the gasoline station, their two other cohorts entered the convenience store, pulled a gun at its workers and forcibly took the money from the cash register and a mobile phone.  

“May dalang baril po yung lalaki papunta sa akin. Tumakbo ako. Tumago ako. Sabi niya sa akin, ‘Labas ka diyan. Buksan mo y’ong kaha ninyo,’” said Vanessa Epis, the store’s cashier.

The alleged robbers then fled with at least P19,000 in cash and two mobile phones.

Their escape, however, turned into a chase after police officers spotted and pursued them along Payatas Road.

The suspects allegedly opened fire but police retaliated and gunned them down.

Recovered from the scene were four .38 caliber revolver, two motorcycles, one mobile phone, a digital weighing scale and four sachets of suspected shabu.

Police said the slain suspects are yet to be identified. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

QC traffic chief faces raps for breaking car window

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 2, 2019

Atty. Ariel Inton

Quezon City Traffic Chief Atty. Ariel Inton is facing carnapping and administrative cases after breaking the window of an illegally parked car on September 24.

Inton broke the window of a 1990 Nissan Maxima that had been parked for two years on the corner of Panay Avenue.

According to Inton, he is ready to face the raps against him.

“Kung sasampahan nila tayo ng carnapping edi tignan natin. Kung sino man ang abogadong hahawak niyan palagay ko naman, alam niya iyan bilang abogado na walang carnapping doon (If they will file carnapping charges against me, then we’ll see. Whoever is the lawyer that will handle the case, I think they will know there was no carnapping there),” he said.

He already apologized for the incident and submitted his resignation to Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte. However, Belmonte did not accept his resignation.

Based on the Facebook post of QC Task Force for Transport and Traffic Management, Belmonte appreciated the humility shown by Inton for immediately apologizing after the incident.

“Belmonte said that leaders of different organizations must emulate the leadership of Inton who knows how to apologize, takes full responsibility of his actions and non-compromising in executing the full extent of the law,” the post read.

Meanwhile, Inton previously reiterated he merely based his action on the 2004 City Ordinance where it is in the authority of a local official to confiscate illegally parked vehicles.

“As I said I will take the responsibility. Sa tingin ko naman sa pagharap natin diyan makikita naman kung ano iyong katotohanan diyan, ( I think, we will see the truth)” he said.—AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.