QC Police conducts bomb explosion drill for long holiday preparations

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 9, 2019   •   1408

Members of the City Police District (QPD) during a bomb explosion drill

The Quezon City Police District (QPD) conducted a bomb explosion drill on Tuesday (April 9).

Authorities showed the necessary actions to be taken in case there is an explosion in the area.

The police immediately put a barricade tape around the area and removed the crowd while the rescue teams responded to the victims of the explosion.

A member of the bomb squad approached another suspicious item that might also contain another bomb.

According to QPD District Director P/Bgen. Joselito Esquivel Jr., they will also conduct inspections in terminals.

“I think bukas o makalawa magko-conduct naman kami ng aming inspections sa mga terminal. Ito rin iyong may pinakamalaking terminal. Mayroon na rin kaming security plan para sa ano and I think we’ll have a press briefing on Monday, ‘yung preparation naman namin sa semana santa, (I think tomorrow, we will conduct inspections at some of the largest terminals. We already have a security plan for the long holiday)” he said.

Authorities remind passengers not to bring any firearms or deadly weapons especially when the Commission on Elections (Comelec) has imposed a gun ban due to the midterm elections.

For any complaints or emergencies, concerned individuals can contact the PNP or other government agencies.

EMERGENCY HOTLINES:

  • Philippine National Police: 117
  • National Capital Region Police Office: 0915-888-8181 or 0999-901-8181
  • Department of Transportation: 7890
  • Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board: 1342

Meanwhile, based on the data of the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) around 200 bus companies were given special permits for the long holiday. This is equal to almost 500 provincial buses.

The special permits will be available from April 14 to 22.—Aileen Cerrudo (with reports from Asher Cadapan Jr.)

DOJ asks PNP to suspend re-arrest of GCTA-freed heinous crimes convicts

Robie de Guzman   •   September 20, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has requested the Philippine National Police (PNP) to temporarily suspend the operation to re-arrest heinous crimes convicts wrongly released under the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law after the deadline for them to surrender lapsed.

In a radio interview on Friday, Justice Undersecretary Markk Perete said they made the request on Thursday night in order to thoroughly check the list of heinous crime convicts submitted by the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).

Perete noted the list contains some errors which could pose possible violence and other problems such as mistaken identity during the manhunt operation.

Also included in the list were some names of prisoners released under parole and pardon.

At least 1,950 persons deprived of liberty (PDL) surrendered to authorities as of midnight of Thursday when President Rodrigo Duterte’s 15-day deadline ended.

The number of surrenderers is higher than the 1,914 heinous crime convicts on the original list given by BuCor.

Perete said they already ordered BuCor to immediately release the persons who turned themselves in even if they are not included in the list.

The 1,914 heinous criminals were freed earlier because their sentences were shortened for good behavior under the Republic Act 10592.

Duterte earlier ordered these convicts to surrender within 15 days for the recomputation of their good conduct credits or be treated as fugitives from justice after the deadline.

He also offered P1 million bounty for the capture of each freed heinous crime convicts.

MRT-3 reports drop in unloading incidents in 2019

Robie de Guzman   •   September 16, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The number of unloading incidents recorded from January to September this year in the Metro Rail Transit line 3 (MRT-3) has only reached 18 so far, its management reported on Monday.

According to official records of the MRT-3 control center, this is much lower when compared to 480 unloading incidents reported in the same period in 2016, which was the highest number recorded since 2012.

In a Facebook post, the MRT-3 said the significant improvement was observed after they stopped the “force deployment” of “unsafe and reliable trains” as practiced by MRT-3’s previous maintenance provider.

MAGANDANG BALITA!DAMANG-DAMA na ang lamig sa loob ng tren ng MRT-3 dahil naikabit na ang 93 bagong air-conditioning…

Posted by Department of Transportation – Philippines on Saturday, 14 September 2019

“Amin din pong nais na klaruhin na ang MRT-3 ay hindi kailanman nagdedeploy ng tren na depektibo o sira. Mahalaga sa amin ang kaligtasan ng aming mga pasahero,” the agency said in a statement.

(We also wish to clarify that the MRT-3 has never deployed defective trains. The safety of our passengers is very important to us.)

“Katunayan, ipinatigil po namin ang naging kasanayan ng dating maintenance providers na ‘force deployment’ ng ‘unsafe at unreliable trains’, dahil sila noon ay nababayaran base sa numero ng tren na kanilang nadedeploy, sirain man o hindi,” it added.

(In fact, we have stopped the practice of ‘force deployment’ of ‘unsafe and unreliable trains’ by former maintenance providers as they are paid based on the number of deployed trains, regardless of whether it broke down or not.)

The MRT-3 management also said that compared to previous years, its warehouse now contains enough number of spare parts to repair broken train system components.

“Kung dati rin ay halos walang lamang spare parts ang MRT-3 warehouse, ngayon po ay nag-uumapaw ito sa dami. Ibig sabihin, sapat na ang mga spare parts na gagamitin sa pagkukumpuni ng mga bagon at sistema ng MRT-3,” it said.

(If in the past, the MRT-3 warehouse contained little to no spare parts, now, it is overflowing. It means there are enough spare parts for fixing MRT-3 coaches and system components.)

The agency also reported other improvements brought about by the ongoing comprehensive rehabilitation program, including the full operation of elevators in all MRT-3 stations and the operation of 30 of the total 46 escalators.

93 air-conditioning units have also been installed at MRT-3 coaches with 87 more units to be delivered soon.

Around 4,053 pieces of new rails to replace degraded MRT-3 mainline tracks have also been completely delivered.

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) earlier announced that the processing of rail replacements for will start in November until February 2021 at the welding area in the railway’s Taft Avenue Station.

READ: MRT-3 rail replacement works to kick off in November – DOTr

The department earlier said the installation of replacement rails will only take place non-operating hours to avoid disruption in the line’s daily train service.

The DOTr expects the new rails to reduce excess vibration of trains which cause damage to its electrical and mechanical component and later lead to glitches or train breakdown.

By the end of the rehabilitation works, the department said MRT-3 running trains will be increased from 15 to 20 with speed up to 60 kilometers per hour.

The waiting time between trains is also seen to go down from the current 7.5 minutes to 3.5 minutes.

“Makakaasa po kayo na pagsapit ng July 2021, o 26 months mula nang magsimula ang rehabilitasyon noong Mayo, ganap nang mararamdaman ang mga pagbabago sa MRT-3,” the MRT-3 management said.

PNP-HPG recovers 15 stolen vehicles in Parañaque City casino

Maris Federez   •   September 16, 2019

The Philippine National Police-Highway Patrol Group (PNP-HPG) has recovered fifteen allegedly stolen vehicles at a parking area of a casino in Parañaque City.

The SUVs, AUVs, sedans, and motorcycles that are already collecting dust are assumed to have been abandoned in the parking lot for several months or years now.

The PNP-HPG said the vehicles could have been only rented and have not been returned to the owners as they had been pawned to financiers in the casino.

The authorities are now coordinating with the registered owners of the vehicles who could have been victims of “rentangay” or rent-sangla scheme. (from the report of Lea Ylagan) /mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.