QC launches online consultation system for COVID-19 patients
Marje Pelayo • August 28, 2020 • 248
MANILA, Philippines — In partnership with the Department of Health (DOH), the Quezon City government has launched a telemedicine system.
Dubbed as QC COVID Telemed, the program aims at providing remote medical assistance to confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients in the city.
It is an online system that allows patients undergoing home quarantine or those admitted to the city’s community health facilities to consult with their doctors without having to personally meet them.
“Dito sa QC gagamitin nila ang telemedicine sa pagmo-monitor doon sa mga kaso na naka-quarantine para nang sa ganoon, nasusubaybayan nila araw araw ang sintomas nila (Here in Quezon City, they will use telemedicine to monitor the cases of those under home quarantine so their symptoms will be monitored daily),” explained DOH Assistant Secretary Eric Tayag.
“Pwede rin naman para kamustahin ang mga nag–umpisa nang magrecover para sa ganoon nalalaman nila kaagad kung baka may iba pang taong nahawa (It could also be used to check on those who are starting to recover to determine if there are other persons who have been infected),” he added.
According to Mayor Joy Belmonte the program would limit physical contact between COVID-19 patients and healthcare workers thus minimizing the risk of further transmission.
The mayor added that the program would also enable doctors who are unable to do full-time hospital duties, such as elderly doctors and those with comorbidities, to perform their profession with no restrictions.
Based on the city health department’s data, the city has around 10,736 confirmed cases to date.
“Sobra po akong nagpapasalamat sa Kagawaran ng Kalusugan dahil talagang kailangan na kailangan namin. Sa datos natin ngayon talagang tumataas bilang ng mga COVID positive patients natin (I am extremely thankful to the Department of Health because we really need this. Based on data, our number of COVID-19 positive cases is increasing),” Mayor Belmonte said.
“Kulang na kulang po tayo sa doktor at healthcare professionals. Sa pamamagitan ng telemedicine matutulungan natin ang mga pasyente (We are short on doctors and healthcare professionals. So, through telemedicine, we will be able to help our patients),” she added.
In support of the program, DOH has provided the city government with 15 laptop and desktop units which will be distributed to various HOPE facilities and selected health centers across the city. MNP (with inputs from Joan Nano)
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) plans to tap a new payout facility to hasten distribution of the Social Amelioration Program’s second tranche of cash aid to Quezon City residents.
This, after the DSWD reached out to the Quezon City local government to settle issues over delay in the payout of cash subsidies to many of the SAP beneficiaries in the city.
According to the agency, the delay were often caused by lack of information, particularly the contact numbers of beneficiaries.
“Naipaliwanag sa amin na nahihirapan sila sa pamimigay dahil marami sa mga benepisyaryo ay hindi kumpleto ang impormasyon, gaya ng cellphone number (They said they had difficulties in releasing the cash assistance because of incomplete information on the beneficiaries such as cellphone numbers),” said Mayor Joy Belmonte.
The new payment facility is expected to hasten the payout process as well as provide manual payout delivery services to recipients who do not have contact numbers for wire transfers.
“Pinaplantsa lang nila ang mga detalye para ito’y agad na maisakatuparan at upang mapakinabangan na ng ating mga residente ang SAP na ipinangako sa kanila ng national government (They are ironing out the details before proceeding so that the residents can finally benefit from SAP which the national government promised to them),” she added.
So far, the city’s Social Services Development Department said only 151,192 beneficiaries have received the second tranche of the cash assistance amounting to P8,000 out of the 377, 584 SAP recipients in the city,
The Quezon City government has partnered with the online shopping platform, Shopee to provide free registration for the city’s micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSME), the local government announced.
In a statement on Tuesday, Mayor Joy Belmonte said the partnership is part of its move to strengthen its programs supporting small businesses affected by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
“We value the economic well-being of our MSMEs in the city as they are our important partners in developing the local economy. With Shopee, we will be able to help more of them survive and continue their businesses despite the ongoing health crisis,” Belmonte said.
The QC government through its Small Business and Cooperatives Development and Promotions Office (SBCDPO) shall screen applicants and endorse qualified MSMEs to Shopee for onboarding and training.
MSMEs may apply provided that they are compliant with the local government business registration requirements.
“We are happy to partner with Quezon City to help their local sellers step up on their digitalization efforts and capture the growing proportion of online-first consumers,” said Martin Yu, associate director of Shopee Philippines.
Interested applicants may get in touch with SBCDPO through their Facebook page.
The Quezon City government is planning to file charges against a former barangay official who violated quarantine protocols amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis.
City Mayor Joy Belmonte said the former councilman, whom she did not identify, breached quarantine protocols, forcing the city government to enforce a total lockdown on a street where he resides to monitor the condition of the families living there.
Based on a report, Belmonte said the former councilman and other members of his family underwent swab testing after his son tested positive for COVID-19 after a drinking session with another positive individual.
“The family has been ordered to undergo quarantine while waiting for the result of their swab tests, but he failed to comply,” Belmonte said in a statement.
When the former barangay official’s swab test came back positive, Belmonte ordered the City Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (CESU), headed by Dr. Rolly Cruz, to immediately conduct contact tracing.
“After our contact tracing, we determined that 15 individuals who had close contact with him need to undergo swab testing,” Dr. Cruz said.
The city government said it will file charges against the former barangay official and his son, per Ordinance No. SP-2958 S-2020, which prohibits breaching of quarantine protocols.
“Napag-alaman natin na pasaway itong dating opisyal na ito dahil lumabas at nakisalamuha pa siya sa mga kapitbahay kahit na naghihintay sila ng resulta ng anak niyang nagpa-swab test,” Barangay Community Relations Department head Ricky Corpuz said.
According to City Attorney Nino Casimiro, persons who break quarantine may be physically returned to quarantine by barangay and/or City officials, with police assistance, if necessary under the said Ordinance.
“Papanagutin natin siya at ang kanyang anak sa kanilang ginawa na naglagay sa buong komunidad sa panganib,” Casimiro said.
Meanwhile, the Quezon City Health Department said it may re-adjust the quarantine period of the violators accordingly and may require them to isolate instead in a quarantine facility of the City.
Violators will also be penalized P1,000, P3,000, and P5,000 for the first, second, and third offense, respectively.
They may also face appropriate charges under Republic Act No. 11332 or the “Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act” or any other applicable law.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.