QC gov’t to strictly implement ban on fireworks, pyrotechnics in December

UNTV News   •   November 21, 2017   •   6109

QUEZON CITY, Philippines — The local government of Quezon City is just waiting for the completion of the Implementing Rules and Regulations or IRR of the ordinance banning the use of firecrackers in public areas before enforcing it next month.

The City Ordinance 2618 considers roads, alleys, parks, basketball courts, among others, as public areas.

According to the author of the law, 2nd District Councilor Rannie Ludovica, the new regulation aims to help the public avoid accidents, and reduce the pollution caused by firecrackers.

“The safety of ordinary citizens and motorists are threatened because of firecrackers being thrown on the road.  Imagine if you were driving and firecrackers are thrown at you or someone will put “sawa” (a long string of firecrackers) on the road,” QC 2nd District Coun. Rannie Ludovica said.

Under the ordinance, the city government will designate a community display area where residents could conduct fireworks display or pyrotechnics. One designated community display area is the Quezon Memorial Circle.

The regulation mandates the apprehension of individuals caught selling firecrackers without permits in public places.

First-time violators will face a penalty of community service.

Those who will be caught committing the violation twice will have to pay a fine of P1-thousand to P2-thousand with a community service.

Third-time violators will have to pay P5-thousand with imprisonment.

Some residents consider the ordinance as a convenience.

“It’s better if they will totally ban it so no one would get injured,” QC resident Adolfo Cogaya said.

“You will be shocked sometimes because you don’t know that the firecracker is already in front of you. Sometimes, you will get injured,” QC resident Benedicta Asis said.

Village chieftains will be in charge of monitoring the enforcement of the law.

It can be recalled that last June, President Rodrigo Duterte signed the Executive Number 28 which limits the use of firecrackers in the country to community fireworks display. – Macky Libradilla | UNTV News & Rescue

QC gov’t starts culling of pigs after samples test positive for African Swine Fever

Marje Pelayo   •   September 16, 2019

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The city government has begun culling operations within the one-kilometer radius from ground zero or the location where pigs positive for African Swine Fever (ASF) were discovered.

So far, a total of 50 pigs have been culled.

According to Mayor Joy Belmonte, they have taken several samples from live and dead subjects of which 14 tested positive for ASF in Barangay Bagong Silangan.

Belmonte clarified that the tested animals were not among those discovered floating in a creek which were of unknown origin.

The Mayor stressed that backyard hog raising is not allowed in the city as they have no agricultural land and they have ordered a phase out of backyard hog raising even before reports of ASF surfaced.

“Nagbigay na ako ng order na maaga pa lang mag-phaseout na sila, (Even before, I have ordered them to phase out their pigs),” she said.

“Within 6 months actually that was the time period that I gave para mabigyan din naman sila ng pagkakataon to get back yung puhunan nila doon sa kanilang inaalagaang baboy, (to give them time to get back what they have spent for the pigs they were raising,)” she added.

The city government is confident of immediately addressing the issue following the result of the tests in collaboration with the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI).

Mayor Belmonte also responded to the issue regarding premature announcement of the tests relative to ASF.

“I take the stand na siyempre local government official tayo. (I take the stand as a local government official). May responsibilidad and obligation tayo sa ating mga mamamayan, hindi pwede yung wait ang see pa, (I have the responsibility and obligation to our constituents, we cannot just wait and see),” she noted.

“Kung kalusugan na ang pinaguusapan natin, (When it comes to health) I would like to protect our citizens, ang mga existing na mga baboy pa na para hindi sila mainfect, (as well as the existing (living) hogs that are not yet infected,)” she concluded. – MNP (with details from Rey Pelayo)

QC barangay releases 1,000 frogs to curb dengue

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 26, 2019

A barangay in Quezon City has released a thousand bull frogs as a solution to curb dengue in their area.

According to the official Facebook page of Barangay Matandang Balara, Barangay Captain Allan Franza, they released the frogs in order to stop the spread of mosquitoes carrying the dengue virus.

Kap. Allan Franza pinangunahan ang pagpapakalat ng mga palaka o bull frog sa mga estero at matubig na lugar sa Brgy….

Posted by Barangay Matandang Balara – Action Forward on Wednesday, 21 August 2019

Dengue cases in the country has already reached 188,562 and killed 807 from January 1 to August 3.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health (DOH) continues to remind the public to remember the 4S Strategy against dengue and participate in the ‘4-o’clock habit’.

Sumali sa laban kontra Dengue, makiisa sa sabayang 4o’clock habit araw-araw!#4oclockhabit #Mag4Sna #DengGetOut #NationalDengueEpidemic

Posted by Department of Health (Philippines) on Sunday, 25 August 2019

The program encourages every household to clean their area at 4:00 p.m. everyday.—AAC

QC Task Force launches ‘Bayanihan sa Lansangan’

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 20, 2019

The Quezon City Task Force for Transport and Traffic Management has launched ‘Bayanihan sa Lansangan’ which will dispatch more buses in Commonwealth Avenue.

Aside from the severe traffic, there are also not enough buses for an estimated 30,000 – 40,000 commuters in the area.

Rene Hanolino, one of the commuters, said he spends time just waiting for a bus ride every morning.

“Mga 15 minutes, pinakamatagal na sa akin iyon, pag-aabang. Kasi talagang madami namang pasahero. Tiyaga lang naman (Around 15 minutes, that is the longest time I’ve waited because there are a lot of passengers. It takes patience),” he said.

During the first day of the implementation on Tuesday (Aug 20), authorities directed the passengers to where they should wait for buses.

Traffic czar of Quezon City Task Force For Transport And Traffic Management Ariel Inton said the heavy crowd of passengers waiting for a ride have begun to block the roads.

“Sa dami nila, bumabara sa mga private vehicles. Iyong mga bus naman, sinasalubong nila kasi dumadating dito iyong mga bus, punuan na (Because of their sheer number, they block the private vehicles. Other passengers try to get ahead by catching the bus before it reaches the stop, so its already full by the time it gets there ),” he said.

Inton added that the ‘Bayanihan sa Lansangan’ will be able to provide enough buses for passengers.—AAC (with reports from Asher Cadapan Jr.)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.