QC gov’t asks authorities to reopen two EDSA intersections to ease heavy traffic
Robie de Guzman • December 8, 2020 • 490
MANILA, Philippines – The local government of Quezon City on Tuesday appealed to authorities to reopen the EDSA-Muñoz and EDSA-West Avenue-North Avenue Interchanges to lessen the worsening traffic in these areas.
Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte said she has sent a letter to the Department of Transportation (DOTr), Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), and the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to request the reopening of these intersections “in response to the numerous complaints” that the city government received from motorists.
“While we fully support the national government’s transportation initiatives, particularly the EDSA Bus Carousel project, we have to do a balancing act so that we won’t compromise the welfare of those using EDSA,” Belmonte said in a statement.
The city government also suggested reopening some of the U-turn slots that were closed to give way to the EDSA Bus Carousel project.
The MMDA began gradually closing U-turn slots along EDSA last September in line with the EDSA Busway project.
After monitoring the Balintawak area, the city government determined that the bottleneck caused by the reduction of lanes from three to two per direction at the EDSA-Balintawak Cloverleaf to give way to the exclusive EDSA Bus Carousel lane has resulted in heavy traffic, at times reaching North Avenue.
Belmonte believes that traffic in these areas will ease once their request is granted.
“We expect traffic to improve in those areas once our request is granted, especially with the Christmas rush and the easing of our GCQ guidelines,” she said.
“The city government is ready to work with authorities to find ways in improving the flow of traffic in intersections, U-turn slots and bus loading bays within the city,” she added.
Belmonte said that, in the meantime, the city government has deployed additional traffic law enforcers in affected areas and coordinated with the MMDA to open the closed access road at NLEX/Camachile to give way to west- and southbound vehicles coming from Quirino Highway to exit EDSA without having to take the long route toward Monumento.
The measures are seen to reduce the congestion along the EDSA-Caloocan area and also address the long queue of northbound vehicles in EDSA-Balintawak.
Belmonte assured that the city’s Department of Public Order and Safety and other agencies will continue to explore solutions to traffic bottlenecks along the major roads within the city.
MANILA, Philippines — The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) will push through with its plan to close the EDSA U-turn slot at General Malvar in Bagong Barrio, Caloocan City on Monday (January 11).
“The U-turn slot located along Epifanio Delos Santos Avenue in General Malvar / Bagong Barrio area shall be closed to vehicular traffic effective January 11, Monday, in line with the Department of Transportation’s EDSA Busway project,” the MMDA said in an advisory released last Friday.
With the closure of the said U-turn slot, motorists from northbound going southbound are advised to take the Monumento Circle or those coming from Quezon City may also take Balintawak Cloverleaf.
Since September 2020, the MMDA has so far closed six U-turn slots to give way to the government’s Busway Project.
For this project, the innermost lane of EDSA was designated as an exclusive lane for public utility buses (PUBs) traveling from Monumento, Caloocan City to SM Mall of Asia in Pasay City, and vice versa. —/mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.