MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) said there are no clear expert studies yet on the supposed recorded case in Spain of dengue transmission through sexual intercourse.
Based on a report, a male tested positive of dengue after having sexual intercourse with his partner who has dengue.
The health department said it was an isolated case.
“E kasi ito naman hindi siya the usual, this is very atypical. So, the chances of its spreading via that route are very low,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said.
Sec. Duque said the DOH is rather concerned over unprotected sex which causes an increase in the number of HIV-AIDS cases in the country.
He added that the alleged transmission of dengue virus through sexual intercourse will remain theoretical or mere speculation.
He underscored that the Philippines has yet to record a similar case of dengue transmission.
The department, he said, is pushing for safe sex and clean living, especially this year when the country is recording an average of 35 individuals who are HIV positive daily.
“I will not be worried that there can be an epidemic of dengue via that route because there already is with mosquitoes. So, I would be worried for lack of protection primarily because we don’t want anymore HIV-AIDS cases as much as possible. So incidental lang iyong isa e to the main issue of unprotected sex. It’s a (very) collateral issue,” Duque said. (from the report of Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – Four suspects in a robbery incident were killed in a shootout with police in Payatas Road, Quezon City early Tuesday morning.
According to the Batasan Police Station, they were patrolling the area at around 3 a.m. when they received a report about a robbery incident in a convenience store and gasoline station involving the suspects.
Responding police officers engaged the suspects in a brief gunfight that led to the death of the purported robbers.
Prior to the encounter, workers at the gasoline station said the four suspects, wearing black masks and helmets, arrived in the area on board two motorcycles and declared a hold-up.
“Hinawakan po ako sa leeg tapos pinadapa po ako. Tapos kinuha na po ang pera ng company tapos kasama yung cellphone,” recounted Elmer Boduan, who works as a cashier at the gasoline station.
While two of the suspects were robbing the gasoline station, their two other cohorts entered the convenience store, pulled a gun at its workers and forcibly took the money from the cash register and a mobile phone.
“May dalang baril po yung lalaki papunta sa akin. Tumakbo ako. Tumago ako. Sabi niya sa akin, ‘Labas ka diyan. Buksan mo y’ong kaha ninyo,’” said Vanessa Epis, the store’s cashier.
The alleged robbers then fled with at least P19,000 in cash and two mobile phones.
Their escape, however, turned into a chase after police officers spotted and pursued them along Payatas Road.
The suspects allegedly opened fire but police retaliated and gunned them down.
Recovered from the scene were four .38 caliber revolver, two motorcycles, one mobile phone, a digital weighing scale and four sachets of suspected shabu.
Police said the slain suspects are yet to be identified. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)
Quezon City Traffic Chief Atty. Ariel Inton is facing carnapping and administrative cases after breaking the window of an illegally parked car on September 24.
Inton broke the window of a 1990 Nissan Maxima that had been parked for two years on the corner of Panay Avenue.
According to Inton, he is ready to face the raps against him.
“Kung sasampahan nila tayo ng carnapping edi tignan natin. Kung sino man ang abogadong hahawak niyan palagay ko naman, alam niya iyan bilang abogado na walang carnapping doon (If they will file carnapping charges against me, then we’ll see. Whoever is the lawyer that will handle the case, I think they will know there was no carnapping there),” he said.
He already apologized for the incident and submitted his resignation to Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte. However, Belmonte did not accept his resignation.
Based on the Facebook post of QC Task Force for Transport and Traffic Management, Belmonte appreciated the humility shown by Inton for immediately apologizing after the incident.
“Belmonte said that leaders of different organizations must emulate the leadership of Inton who knows how to apologize, takes full responsibility of his actions and non-compromising in executing the full extent of the law,” the post read.
Meanwhile, Inton previously reiterated he merely based his action on the 2004 City Ordinance where it is in the authority of a local official to confiscate illegally parked vehicles.
“As I said I will take the responsibility. Sa tingin ko naman sa pagharap natin diyan makikita naman kung ano iyong katotohanan diyan, ( I think, we will see the truth)” he said.—AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.