Q.C. Veterinary Department inspects chickens, ducks shipments in Balintawak Market

UNTV News   •   August 24, 2017   •   4435

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_082317_BALINTAWAK MARKET

MANILA, Philippines — The personnel of Quezon City Veterinary Department and Market Development and Administration inspected the shipments of chickens and ducks in Balintawak Market.

Balintawak Market is the main link of poultry providers in Quezon City and Metro Manila.

They checked if the shipments have complete documents as this is a precautionary measure to assure that chickens being distributed in Quezon City are safe to eat.

Most of the shipments have complete papers but two of those have no veterinary certificate from their origin municipality.

Ang pinagbabasihan kasi natin dito sa mga health certificates, dito sa mga dokumento.  Pag walang ganito e hindi natin masasabi na healthy yung idedeliver nilang chicken (Our basis is the health certificates. If there are no papers, we cannot tell if the chickens they are delivering are healthy) ,” Quezon City District 2 Councilor Allan Francisco said.

Councilor Francisco’s department let the trucks pass in the meantime as the shipments came from virus-free areas.

Meanwhile consumers are still afraid of buying chicken even the culling process in San Luis Pampanga and Nueva Ecija are already done.

Mas mabuti na nag-iingat sa pagkain ng manok . . . huwag na muna ngayon kasi nakakatakot eh ( It’s better to be cautious in consuming chicken…not at this time, it’s too scary,” said consumer, Rosana Rambunay.

On the other hand, retailer’s hope that chicken consumption will boost once again as the culling process is already done.

Sana naman nga maging maganda na ang bentahan kasi grabe na ang naging tumal at wala na kaming kinikita (We do hope sales will pick up because the slump was too much, we weren’t earning at all),” said retailer Emelita Calma.  “Huwag na kayong matakot kasi ako nga kumakain yung mga anak ko kumakain e . . . kasi wala naman ng sakit (Don’t be afraid anymore. Even my children and I  eat chicken…because there’s no more flu. ),” she added.  – Macky Libradilla | UNTV News & Rescue

Nueva Ecija appeals to OWWA for better system on returning OFWs

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 28, 2020

The Nueva Ecija Provincial Government has appealed to the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) to have a better system on returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).

Atty. OJ Cornejo, officer-in-charge of the Provincial Assessor’s Office, said it has become a challenge for the provincial government to verify if the returning OFWs are negative of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

He said the OFWs do not have sufficient documents to prove that they have tested negative for COVID-19.

“Nag-message po ulit sila Sunday night na may uuwing dalawa pero wala pa iyong documents. Hindi pa nila pinapadala so hindi po ma-approve. We need to see po muna iyong negative result ng test and iyong quarantine certificate na nag-undergo na talaga quarantine iyong OFW (They sent a message Sunday night that two OFWs are returning but they have no documents yet. They haven’t sent it yet so it wasn’t approved. We first need to see the negative result of the test and the certificate that they underwent quarantine),” he said.

Nueva Ecija Governor Aurelio Umali said they need a more accurate list from OWWA so that they will be able to implement the proper safety protocols for returning OFWs.

“For instance pupunta pala ng Aurora pero Nueva Ecija ang nakalagay, so importante na makuha natin ang tamang listahan so that ang ating mga mayors, LGUs, will be able to prepare sa ating returning OFWs (For instance, they are going to Aurora but the document says Nueva Ecija. So it’s important for us to get the right list so that our mayors, LGU, will be able to prepare for our returning OFWs),” he said.

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) previously reported that 24,000 OFWs will be returning to the country in the coming days and around 40,000 by next month. AAC (with reports from Danny Munar)

QC govt halts retail selling in Balintawak markets to maintain social distancing

Maris Federez   •   April 12, 2020

MANILA, Philippines— The Quezon City government has ordered the suspension of retail selling in the seven markets in Balintawak.

This is to maintain social distancing in the area to stop the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

A press release posted on Facebook on Saturday (April 11) said the consensus was reached following the meeting by Quezon City officials and the owners of Cloverleaf, North Diversion, Riverview I, Riverview II, Pilson’s, MC, and Edsan Bagsakan markets under the directive of Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte.

Napagkasunduan sa pulong na itigil muna ang retail operations o bentahan nang tingi sa mga palengke sa Balintawak [It was agreed upon during our meeting that we will temporarily stop retail operations or selling of products in small quantities in the markets in Balintawak],” said Belmonte.

The move was prompted by reports that Balintawak had been crowded on Saturday despite the Luzon-wide quarantine order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease.

The statement added that that only wholesale selling and drop-off of products will be as the Balintawak markets are crucial in ensuring the supply of vegetables and other farm products in various parts of Metro Manila.

“Starting tomorrow, we expect the crowd to thin out in the area,” said Belmonte.

The local chief executive pointed out that that more than half of marketgoers in Balintawak are from neighboring cities.

Meanwhile, Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) Spokesperson, Cabinet Secretary Karlo Alexei Nograles confirmed the local government’s move and announced the same during Sunday’s morning presser.

Market owners agreed with the City’s move, saying the cooperation of everyone is needed to stop the spread of COVID-19.

According to Assistant City Administrator for Operations Alberto Kimpo, the market owners themselves will ensure that only their wholesale operations remain. The affected retail vendors, meanwhile, will then be accommodated by the QC Fresh Market on Wheels program.

“They will be picked up by jeepneys that the City will hire and will be brought to various Barangays where they can sell their goods,” said Kimpo.

Kimpo added that retail shoppers will be barred from entering portions of Samson Road and EDSA in front of the Balintawak markets.

The local government warned that any violation will result in the immediate closure of the violator-market. – mbmf

Nueva Ecija culls over 500 pigs for suspected ASF

Marje Pelayo   •   December 13, 2019

NUEVA ECIJA, Philippines – The Municipal Agriculture office has culled more than 500 pigs on Friday (December 13).

This, following reports from residents in Barangay Luyos, in the town of San Antonio, Nueva Ecija that several pigs in the area died last week.

Backyard hog raisers voluntarily submitted their animals to culling in fear of African Swine Fever (ASF).

“Natakot kami na baka kami madamay (We were afraid of getting affected),” said hog raiser Rowena Liamson.

“Kaysa kami po ang magbaon, wala naman po kaming malalaking bakuran na pagbabaunan kaya nag voluntary surrender na lang po kami (So instead of burying the pigs by ourselves, we chose to voluntarily surrender them as we have no available lot space for a pit),” she explained.

The Department of Agriculture (DA) will pay each hog raiser P5,000 for each culled pig so that they could at least recover from their losses.

Based on record of the Municipal Agriculture Office, they are set to depopulate around 1,200 pigs in Barangays Mariano, Julo and Luyos in the coming days.

Authorities call on residents to immediately report to them any case of pig sickness and death so they could act accordingly and eventually prevent the spread of the deadly hog disease. – MNP (With details from Danny Munar)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.