by Aileen Cerrudo | Posted on Friday, July 5th, 2019
The status of Huawei in the United States market remains unclear after President Donald Trump announced plans to ease the trade ban against the Chinese company.
President Trump made the statement last week during the G20 Summit in Japan.
“We mentioned Huawei, I said we have to save that till the very end, we’ll have to see….One of the things I will allow however is, a lot of people are surprised, we send and we sell to Huawei a tremendous amount of product that go into the various things that they make, and I said that, that’s okay that we will keep selling those products,” he said.
However, despite the announcement, White House Economic Adviser Larry Kudlow said Huawei will remain blacklisted.
“Remember, Huawei remains on the enemy list, which is fundamentally a national security issue,” he said.
Meanwhile, trade talks between the US and China will continue next week to resolve a year-long trade war.—AAC (with reports from Mon Jocson)
The US has put Huawei on their trade blacklist and banned American companies from doing business with the Chinese firm due to security risk.
Google previously announced that Huawei’s newer smartphones will lose Android updates as well as apps including YouTube, Gmail, and Google Play.
Zhengfei alredy expressed concerns on the impact of the trade ban.
“We did not, in our initial assessment, expect it to be this serious. We had made our preparations, just like an old airplane, we had only protected our heart and our fuel tank, we did not protect the other necessary components. So in the next two years, the company will suffer a setback. Our output will drop by $30 billion and so our revenue would dip to around $100 billion this year and the next,” he said.
“Whether (Huawei’s) international smartphone shipments will drop 40%? Yes it will, drop by 40%. But the growth rate for Chinese smartphone sales is very fast, its very fast,” he added.—AAC
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Wednesday, May 29th, 2019
China’s Huawei Technologies Co Ltd said on Wednesday (May 29) that it has filed a motion for summary judgement in its lawsuit against the U.S. government, in the telecoms equipment maker’s latest attempt to fight sanctions from Washington that threaten to push it out of global markets.
The motion filed late on Tuesday (May 28) in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas asks to declare the 2019 National Defence Authorization Act (NDAA) unconstitutional, in an update to the lawsuit against the act that the Chinese company started in March.
“We believe that U.S. politicians are using cyber security as an excuse to gain public support for actions that are designed to achieve other goals. These actions will do nothing to make networks more secure,” said Huawei chief legal officer Song Liuping, during a briefing held for media in Huawei’s Shenzhen headquarters.
The NDAA bill, passed into law by the U.S. Congress last summer, places a broad ban on federal agencies and their contractors from using Huawei equipment on national security grounds, citing the company’s ties with the Chinese government.
Huawei has repeatedly denied it is controlled by the Chinese government, military or intelligence services.
The world’s largest telecom network gear maker has since faced even greater sanctions as the U.S. commerce department on May 16 put the firm on a trade blacklist that bans companies from doing business with Huawei, in a move which immediately disrupted the global tech sector. (REUTERS)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.