MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday (September 7) placed Bacolod City and Lanao del Sur under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) from September 8 to 30.
Duterte approved the recommendation of National COVID-19 response Chief implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. following reported increase in number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) infections in the said areas.
“We recommended to the IATF for the upgrading of Lanao del Sur as MECQ considering it is contagious to Iligan City and its cases also rising up,” Galvez told the President during Monday’s meeting.
“Based on the recommendation of the NTF, with consultation of Bacolod City, the cases of Bacolod City are much higher than Iligan City which is also MECQ. We will recommend Bacolod City be placed under MECQ as recommended by the IATF,” he added.
Other than Bacolod City and Lanao del Sur, Iligan City is also under MECQ until September 30.
Meanwhile, the President believes that the Philippines has already flattened the curve of COVID-19 infection which he credited to the public’s obedience to health measures imposed by the government.
He, however, advised the public to remain vigilant and always adhere to health protocols to further eliminate COVID-19 transmission.
“Remember that the lessening of contaminationwala na masyadong tao nagkaroon ng COVID is not because COVID-19, the germ, is gone,” he said.
“It is there floating around us. Kaya lang ang mga tao sumunod na. Hindi humawak, alcohol kaagad. The mask was one important factor,” he said.
MANILA, Philippines – A group of local garment exporters has turned over 10,000 personal protective equipment (PPE) coveralls to the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) for its health workers dealing with novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The locally-manufactured PPEs were donated to the PGH on Wednesday by the Confederation of Wearables Exporters of the Philippines (CONWEP).
This is the first batch of 300,000 PPE suits to be donated to the Department of Health for the use of its COVID-19 frontline workers.
CONWEP expressed confidence it will be able to help supply the much-needed medical-grade PPEs for the health workers in the country.
“At a single shift, 6 days a week, we should put that up to 7 days and double shift, we’re looking at one group producing already a 20,000 to 25,000 a day. And if you have about 4 of them, we can easily match, if we have four in the group producing equally the same, kaya namin y’ong 100,000 a day,” Maritess Jocson Agoncillo, CONWEP executive director, said.
The Department of Health (DOH) expressed gratitude for the donated PPEs.
Authorities earlier said more than 100,000 PPEs are needed daily for the use of medical frontliners. Based on its 90-day requirement, the country will need around 11 million protective gears to combat the COVID-19 crisis.
So far, the government has been able to get around one million PPEs, as it continues with the procurement process with the help of the private sector.
With the limited supply of PPEs in the country, PGH director Dr. Gerardo Legaspi called on other hospitals and healthcare workers to employ a system in using and conserving of the protective gear amid the fight against COVID-19.
“I think, the participation of the end-users, the hospital, the health care workers is also very important in ensuring that we optimize this very precious commodity,” he said.
The DOH, meanwhile, reminded healthcare workers of the protocols on the use and disposal of PPEs to prevent contamination.
“Paglabas, tatanggalin nila y’ong PPEs nila pero y’ong scrub suits underneath, hindi nila tinatanggal. So, lalabas sila. So, pagkaganoon ang nangyari, talagang sabi nila you will expect a contamination to happen,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)
MANILA, Philippines – Seven individuals who recovered from novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) have successfully donated their blood plasma to help other patients fight the disease, the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) said on Monday.
Dr. Jonas Del Rosario, PGH spokesperson, said the seven individuals are among the 21 COVID-19 survivors being eyed for the procedure after they were found to be eligible blood donors.
At least 65 COVID-19 recoveries have expressed interest in undergoing screening to donate their blood, he added.
The PGH has been using convalescent plasma therapy – a process of transferring blood of recovered patients to those who are still fighting coronavirus – to help treat patients.
A vaccine for COVID-19 has yet to be developed.
Del Rosario said that so far, two COVID-19 severe cases have received donated blood plasma.
He said the transfusion process was conducted smoothly and that no adverse reactions were reported among the recipients.
He, however, did not say if the treatment has helped the patients recover from the illness as they need to wait for 24 to 72 hours to see any clinical improvement.
Blood plasma from a donor can only be given to one patient.
The PGH reiterated its call for other COVID-19 survivors to give their plasma to help treat severe cases.
As of April 13, the Philippines has 4,932 confirmed infections, with 315 deaths and 242 recoveries. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Aiko Miguel)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.