Duterte to decide on the fate of three ‘narco’ generals – PNP Chief

UNTV News   •   July 4, 2017   •   10058

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_070317_PNP NARCO

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte’s signature is the only thing needed before the dismissal of three police generals accused of involvement in illegal drug trade.

The National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM) has already forwarded to Malacañang the result of its investigation on the matter.

The three generals include former NCRPO chief Joel Pagdilao, former QCPD chief Edgar Tinio and former Region 11 director Bernardo Diaz.

“I cannot dismiss them, and I cannot be the one to sign the resolution because they are third level officers and their dismissal will be on the appointing authority which is the president. He will be the one to sign that,” PNP PDG Ronald dela Rosa said.

Meanwhile, about 100 cops proven involved in various illegal activities might face dismissal.

At present, there are a total of 160 policemen who have been dismissed.

Many of them were involved in illegal activities like extortion, illegal drugs, among others.

There are also currently 84 cops who are likely to face dismissal from service.

Many of them have tested positive of illegal drugs and were found involved in dropping of illegal drug charges.

The PNP meanwhile denies accusations that it only sacks low ranking policemen.

“Ratio and proportion let us be realistic with numbers, who has the most PNCO? There are only few officers so in terms of ratio and proportion; there are many PNCO committing violations than officers because they are plenty. Thus, there will be more arrest among the PNCO rank. We are not defending them. We are even happy when officials are being arrested. That can prove that we are sincere in what we are doing,” Dela Rosa said.

The PNP Chief meanwhile assures that dismissed cops will no longer be reinstated as part of the internal cleansing of the PNP. — Mon Jocson | UNTV News and Rescue

Bato, Pacquiao support reimposition of death penalty for heinous crimes

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 30, 2020

Senators Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa and Manny Pacquiao reiterated their support for the reimposition of death penalty for heinous crimes.

During Senate’s regular session on Wednesday (July 29), Pacquiao said reinstating death penalty in the country will not be illegal in the eyes of God.

The Senator previously filed a bill that would impose death penalty on heinous crimes which include manufacturing and trafficking dangerous drugs.

Hindi po labag sa mata ng gobyerno, sa mata ng Panginoon. Dahil biblically po, allowed po ang gobyerno (It is not illegal in the eyes of the government, in the eyes of the Lord. Because, biblically, the government is allowed to do so) the authority, which is established by God to impose heinous crimes especially death penalty,” Pacquiao said.

Meanwhile, during his privilege speech, Dela Rosa reiterated that reimposing death penalty would be the solution in stopping drug lords and the continuing drug activities inside detention facilities.

The Senator also noted that crime rate has dropped when death penalty was imposed in 1993. He also said that the drug problem is also considered as a global pandemic which should also be prioritized.

“It is also considered a global pandemic itong drug problem. So, hindi naman siguro ibig sabihin na porke tayo may kinakaharap na global pandemic na COVID-19, hihinto na lang tayo sa paggawa ng ibang batas para sa ibang mga issues na kinakaharap ng ating lipunan (This drug problem is also considered as a global pandemic. Just because we are facing the COVID-19 pandemic does not mean we would stop making laws for other issues faced by society),” he said.

Dela Rosa was appointed as a member of a Senate panel under the Senate Committee on Justice and Human Rights after Senator Sherwin Gatchalian relinquished his seat.

The said Senate panel will vote on bills including the reimposition of death penalty in the country. However, panel chairman Senator Richard Gordon said the bill should be discussed at the proper time.

“I will not sponsor it because I do not believe in it. We will take it up at the proper time,” he said. AAC (with reports from Harlene Delgado)

Metro Manila top cop apologizes over birthday get-together during ECQ

Robie de Guzman   •   May 13, 2020

Police officers paid tribute to Major General Debold Sinas (right) by surprising him with a mañanita on his birthday.

MANILA, Philippines – National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Major General Debold Sinas on Wednesday apologized for his birthday celebration, which drew flak for supposedly violating protocols on physical distancing and the ban on mass gathering amid the enhanced community quarantine due to novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

In a statement, Sinas said he did not intend to disobey protocols related to the implementation of the ECQ to contain the spread of COVID-19.

“I apologize for what transpired during my birthday that caused anxiety to the public,” he said.

He also said that some of the photos circulating online were “edited and grabbed from old posts.”

“The pictures may depict itself however it does not define the totality of what really had happened,” he said.

The photos showed Sinas handing cakes and roses during an event. A photo also showed Sinas sitting at a table with guests.

The photos were said to be taken during a party held for Sinas to celebrate his birthday. Police officers gave him a mañanita, a traditional early morning serenade, where they dine together.

The said event was met with criticism for allegedly breaking quarantine rules.

“May 8 is the day when God aggrandize his love for me and my family for it is the day when I was born. That day, I was blessed and honored that another year has been added to my life,” Sinas said.

He added that he was “overjoyed as a birthday celebrant,” and “caught up” with the mañanita held by some of his officers.

He said he accommodated his guests with “all cautiousness” as he was aware of the measures being implemented against COVID-19.

“They were told to observe social distancing and other precautionary health measures. They were also told not to linger and prepare for the simultaneous relief distribution NCR-wide that day,” he said.

Philippine National Police chief General Archie Gamboa said he already ordered a probe into the incident.

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año also said that Sinas, as a police official, should serve as an example in following protocols especially those related to the containment of COVID-19.

Dela Rosa on Espenido being in drug watchlist: “I am vouching for his integrity.”

Marje Pelayo   •   February 20, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Ronald dela Rosa wants to know the person who included the name of P/Lt. Col. Jovie Espenido in the government’s drug watchlist or list of cops linked to illegal drug trade.

Senator dela Rosa said it surprised him to hear that Espenido’s name was on the list when it wasn’t the case when he was still the chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP).

Hindi ko nakita noong panahon ko, otherwise, hindi ko iyan i-a-appoint (I didn’t see (his name) during my time, otherwise, I wouldn’t have appointed him),” the Senator said.

Dela Rosa transferred Espenido from Albuera, Leyte to Ozamiz City.

Espenido spearheaded the raids that resulted in the killing of then Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog Sr. and the downfall of the Parojinog drug chain.

Given Espenido’s service history, dela Rosa expressed doubt as to how his name ended up in the President’s drug watchlist.

“Saan galing yan? Lumabas lang out of thin air? (Where did it come from? Did it appear out of thin air?),” the former PNP Chief said.

He urged that the PNP leadership should investigate how it happened, adding that there might be a ‘syndicate’ inside the PNP who wanted to dishonor their comrades.

“Dapat ungkatin ng PNP kung sino ang gumawa ng report na iyan, most likely sindikato na pulis ang gumawa noon (The PNP should investigate who made that report. It’s most likely a syndicate of cops who did that),” dela Rosa noted.

“Dahil kung andyan pa iyang mga pulis na iyan most likely meron na naman iyang gagawing kalokohan sa ibang kasamahan nila na makakalaban nila (Because if those cops are still in position, most likely they will repeat their follies against other cops who oppose them),” the Senator added.

Senator dela Rosa clarified that Espenido still has his full trust and similar to President Duterte, he doesn’t believe Espenido is involved in illegal drugs trade.

“He is my man I am vouching for his integrity,” dela Rosa said of Espenido.

“Kilala ko siya na matino siya (I have known him as a straight cop),” he concluded. MNP (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.