PRRD disapproves CHR request to open PNP case folders related to EJKs
by UNTV | Posted on Friday, September 8th, 2017
MANILA, Philippines — Acting Interior Secretary Catalino Cuy said President Rodrigo Duterte stands firm on his order that all investigations to be conducted against police and soldiers must have his consent.
This is in relation to the request of the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) to open police case folders to which the president disagrees.
Still, Cuy said they are still open to help the CHR in any way possible.
“We’ll find other ways to help the CHR in their effort. We’ll continue the meetings, I hope they understand our position,” said Usec Cuy.
CHR plans to conduct a full review of all the case folders of the PNP that they believe are cases of extrajudicial killings
The commission wants to check, in particular, if incidents of victims resistance in police operations are true, specifically cases from May 2016 up to present.
The commission believes that within the said period, the number of deaths related to EJKs has increased.
Despite the president’s disapproval, the agency is not losing hope.
Based on the statement of Commissioner Chito Gascon, they will send another request on the matter.
Meanwhile, DILG plans to review all policies on the manner of recruitment, training, and deployment of policemen.
DILG is also in favor to return the full control to the PNP of all training involving new policemen.
Cuy said all of these are ways to maintain the good image of the PNP that critics want to destroy.
“Despite the effort of good policemen, there are some who wants to destroy our image, and we don’t want them also out of the organization,” said the undersecretary. — Mon Jocson | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News | Posted on Tuesday, January 16th, 2018
Community-based rehabilitation program
MANILA, Philippines — One of the primary priorities of the new leadership of the Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) is the expansion of community-based rehabilitation program of the government.
DDB chairman Catalino Cuy believes that, through this, the number of individuals who will use illegal drugs will be reduced since the monitoring will be more intensive as the campaign will start from the barangay level.
“As I was saying, we will give importance to drug clearing. We will be also requiring local barangay executives to monitor barangays since clients, the ‘grassroots’ are here,” Cuy said.
The new DDB chairman also supports Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Undersecretary Martin Diño’s proposal to require each barangay in the Philippines to submit a list of drug suspects.
And even though some human rights groups are opposed to the idea, Cuy assured that the government will conduct a thorough validation to assure the identity of those involved in illegal drugs.
“Like the time when there was still Masa-Masid. The program had three objectives—anti-illegal drug, anti-corruption, anti-criminality, anti-violent extremism”
The government will also look into the police operational procedures of each law enforcement agency in the country to protect the drug suspects’ human rights.
Cuy is the 23rd chairman of DDB and replaced Dionisio Santiago following the latter’s resignation in November last year. — Mai Bermudez | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV NEWS | Posted on Monday, January 15th, 2018
FILE PHOTO: Dropbox placed on barangays
MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) is alarmed by the new plan of DILG Undersecretary Martin Diño wherein every barangay in the Philippines will be made to submit a drug list.
For the commission, there is no assurance that this can protect the identity of mentioned suspects even though the DILG vowed to conduct a thorough investigation in listing them
“Intelligence gathering is primarily a function of law enforcement so we hope that a validation and a case buildup will be undertaken seriously and comprehensively by the Philippine National Police (PNP),” CHR Spokesperson, Atty. Jacqueline De Guia said.
In Diño’s defense, he said his proposal will not violate human rights.
He will also ensure that it will be effective and the series of extrajudicial killings involving policemen will not happen again.
Diño said, there is no need to bring back the use of drop box in every barangay hall that contains names of suspected pushers.
“Remember, we also have NGO’s, the peoples’ organization inside the barangay, we also have it in churches,” he said. — Mai Bermudez | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines — PNP chief PDG. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa has ordered his ground commanders to resume this month the police anti-drug operation or Oplan Tokhang.
“Siniguro namin at patuloy na sisiguruhin na yung totoong tokhang ang gagawin hindi yung pasukin ng kalokohan ng mga pulis na nag i-implement nyan. As I’ve said dati, may listahan at kinokotongan yung pusher na nasa listahan: ‘Para matanggal ka sa listahan ay bigyan mo kami pera’,” said the chief.
(Translation: We will make sure that it will be a real tokhang and not a corrupted one being implemented by erring policemen. As I’ve said before, they have a list of pushers whom they extort money from saying, “To be taken off the list, give us money.”)
General Bato advised them to be more careful and assure bloodless operations this time around.
The PNP chief added that there is no room for irregularities this time especially among police officers one or po1 who have just been given a 100% salary increase.
He expects that these policemen will render good service.
“Kahit ang basehan natin yung lumang sweldo pa, wala pa rin rason para gumawa ng katiwalian, mas lalo ngayon na tumaas ang sweldo, doble ang sweldo (Even when we were still receiving the old salary, there was no reason to engage in corrupt practices. More so now that the salaries have been doubled) ,” said Dela Rosa.
Aside from the pay hike, Bato added that they also received allowances and logistical support from local government units.
He cited the Valenzuela LGU which donated 60 new mobile patrol units and K-9s that they can utilize in police operations.
Bato further warned of possible dismissal against cops who will get involved in illegal activities.
“That is my promise. I will dismiss policemen especially the PO1s who will be involved in illegal activities,” said the chief. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.