Pro and anti-Marcos rallies mark 100th birthday of late president

admin   •   September 11, 2017   •   4938


MANILA, Philippines — Groups showed support and dismay for former President Ferdinand Marcos at the entrance of Libingan ng mga Bayani (Heroes’ Cemetery) in Taguig City this morning.

Today is the 100th birthday of the late president who was born in Sarrat, Ilocos Norte on September 11, 1917.

He was the president of the Philippines from 1965 to 1986 and was highly noted for his declaration of martial law in 1972 that lasted until 1981.

The pro-Marcos assembled earlier than the anti-Marcos group.

“Ang hindi malilimutan. Ang kanyang kabutihan. Si Marcos pa rin ang sinisigaw ng mga taumbayan,”  chanted the Marcos supporters.

From a few members, the anti-Marcos grew in number, flaring up the tension.

The police was quick to prevent a more violent clash though anti-Marcos supporters were aggressive. After less than an hour, the anti-Marcos group moved out of the area.

One of them, former Bayan Muna Representative Neri Colmenares believes the former president should not be buried at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.

“What would be the impression of the international community? You celebrate his ouster during EDSA [people power] every February and yet, you celebrate his birthday as a hero,” said Colmenares.

“Most of us now are senior citizens and we know who President Marcos really was,” said Nasy Pacaña, a Marcos supporter.

Some prominent personalities were spotted at the ceremony at Libingan ng mga Bayani including former president now Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada. — Rey Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue

Sandiganbayan dismisses P1-B civil case vs Marcoses

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 8, 2019

Philippines First Lady and current congresswoman Imelda Marcos (2-L) when she visited the tomb of former strongman Ferdinand Marcos to mark National Heroes Day at the ‘Libingan ng mga Bayani’ (Cemetery of Heroes) in Taguig City, south of Manila, Philippines, 28 August 2017. EPA-EFE/FRANCIS R. MALASIG

The second division of the Sandiganbayan has dismissed the civil case filed by the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) against former President Ferdinand Marcos and wife Imelda Marcos for insufficient evidence over P1 billion worth of alleged ill-gotten wealth.

Based on the decision of the anti-graft court, the PCGG failed to present strong evidence against the Marcoses.

“The plaintiff Republic failed to prove by preponderance of evidence that the defendants by themselves, or in conspiracy with defendants Marcoses, obtained ill-gotten wealth,” the decision reads.

“Lastly, the court also finds that the defendants failed to prove their respective counterclaims alluding to alleged damages sustained.”

According to the Malacañang, the PCGG can still submit an appeal in the Supreme Court.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the Marcoses should still be accountable if there is proof of ill-gotten wealth.

“Kung ill-gotten, we should always run after, basta ill-gotten (If it is ill-gotten we should always run after, as long as it is ill-gotten). It should be the policy of all governments to run after ill-gotten wealth,” he said.

The Sandiganbayan previously dismissed the P102 billion worth of forfeiture case against the Marcoses and other respondents last August.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Palace backs Duterte’s position on Marcoses’ alleged ill-gotten wealth

Marje Pelayo   •   March 2, 2019

Former Philippine first lady and congresswoman Imelda Marcos poses for photographers at the ancestral home of her late husband, former president Ferdinand Marcos, on her 85th birthday in Batac, Ilocos Norte in the northern Philippines, July 2, 2014. REUTERS/Erik De Castro

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang clarified issues surrounding President Rodrigo Duterte’s controversial statement that allegations against the Marcoses on the alleged ill-gotten wealth remain in question.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the President was actually referring to the report which says that the Marcoses amassed P400 billion dollars from the Filipinos during the martial law regime.

Panelo said the figure was not convincing because of the fact that the Philippines did not have that huge amount of money during that time.

“If you are saying you stole from me 400 billion dollars and I have only 1 billion, how in heaven’s name can you be stealing from me when I don’t have that kind of money? Parang iyon ang dating,” Panelo said.

It was in 2003 when the Supreme Court (SC) awarded to the Philippine government more or less US$658 million dollar Swiss bank deposits of the late President Ferdinand Marcos and former first lady Imelda Marcos due to failure to present a legal basis for the mentioned assets.

Panelo insisted that they do not oppose the decision of the court on the matter especially about the questionable assets of the Marcoses.

“What the Supreme Court says, is the law. Whether you believe it or not, it doesn’t matter. Yun ang batas, dapat gawin natin, sundin natin. Lawyer kami, iyon ang napatunayan. You have to agree to that. You should bow to the majesty of the law,” Pabelo noted.

As of 2017, the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) have already recovered around P171 billion worth of ill-gotten wealth from the Marcoses, which is purportedly a chunk of the alleged P530 billion stolen public fund.

To date, there are at least 200 cases pending in court in relation to the issue. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Palace denies compromise deal with Marcoses

admin   •   January 3, 2018

Former Philippine first lady and congresswoman Imelda Marcos poses for photographers at the ancestral home of her late husband, former president Ferdinand Marcos, on her 85th birthday in Batac, Ilocos Norte in the northern Philippines, July 2, 2014. REUTERS/Erik De Castro

Manila, PHILIPPINES — A deal between the government and the Marcoses over the family’s hidden wealth is being pushed once again.

In the proposed compromise agreement submitted by Atty. Oliver Lozano, the Marcos family and the government will share the hidden wealth,

For a still unspecified percentage. The deal excludes the ill-gotten wealth which was already decided by the court such as the former first lady’s pieces of jewelry.

In return, the government will stop from running after the family and will speed up the resolution of the pending cases against the Marcoses. Lozano, who is a known Marcos loyalist, claims the family knows about this.

 

He clarified there was no proposal of immunity for the Marcoses.

“There is no request for immunity because the immunity is already provided by the Constitution, Article 18, Section 26. It is stated there that there will no more sequestration, no more judicial action,” Lozano said.

But  Atty. Vic Rodriguez, the spokesman of former Senator Bongbong Marcos, disowned Lozano saying the family has nothing to do with him nor the proposed deal.

“He has no authority to represent anyone, more so to bind any member of the family neither the estate of the late President Ferdinand Marcos,” he said.

Malacañan Palace also denied having an agreement with the Marcos family.

Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Secretary Salvador Panelo said they received the document from Lozano out of courtesy but no action has been taken about it yet.

However, in his letter to Lozano, Panelo said they will further study the proposal.

Lozano estimated the Marcos wealth to be enough to pay all the country’s debts. — Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.