Private schools in Los Angeles prepare to open classrooms with new COVID-19 measures

UNTV News   •   July 15, 2020   •   1314

While most public schools across the country will begin the new school year with online education in the fall, private schools in Los Angeles are preparing to open their classroom doors to students for face-to-face learning.

At St. Benedict School in Montebello, one of 200 private schools in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, classrooms have been adjusted for social distancing, with cardboard partitions on top of desks to keep students apart. Class sizes have also been modified and temperature checks will be carried out when lessons resume on September 9.

Principal Frank Loya Jr. told Reuters on Tuesday (July 14) his teachers are eager to return to school, after facing difficulties teaching from home.

“Very challenging because the majority of my teachers have children. So, they’re also teaching their class, their students in their classroom. Plus, since their children are at home also, they had to be teaching, directing them. Some of their children attend public school and some of them attend St. Benedict also. So, all that adjustment, I think, as teachers were very stressed,” he said.

A few miles away at St. Joseph School in La Puente, classrooms, restrooms and water fountains are being rebuilt to comply with new COVID-19 guidelines. The school had already planned renovations prior to the pandemic but with additional funding, they decided to expand further.

St. Joseph School currently has 200 students enrolled for the 2020-2021 school year

“Education isn’t the same when you’re not in a classroom setting,” said principal Luis Hayes. “When children are at home, it’s hard to have classroom management, and the student level of engagement changes. So, when you’re in a classroom setting and when you’re with the teacher, you have the classroom management and you have the engagement piece,” he said.

Hayes said there’s an vitally important emotional that comes with in-person instruction.

“For students to come back to school, it’s important that we give them that social emotional aspect and we give them time where they know how to socialize, but they know how to do it safely. And we practice all the social distancing,”

There are approximately 73,000 students enrolled in 200 schools of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles for the new school year.

Tuition cost ranges from $5,000 for primary schools up to $11,437 for high school. (Reuters)

(Production: Alan Devall / Norma Galeana)

CHED to extend face-to-face learning to all degree programs in low-risk areas

Maris Federez   •   October 12, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) is looking into the possibility of extending the face-to-face learning system to all degree programs in low-risk areas.

One of CHED’s bases in considering the said scheme is the high vaccination rate of its personnel, wherein 73 percent of its 1,488 teaching and non-teaching staff are already fully vaccinated.

According to CHED chairperson Prospero De Vera III, the infection rate among students and personnel has also decreased in schools that initially reopened for physical learning in medicine and allied health sciences courses.

“Pinag-aaralan na namin kung puwedeng payagan ang mga eskuwelahan na mag-limited face to face classes in all degree programs in areas that have very low COVID prevalence and very high vaccination rate,” De Vera said.

Currently, only courses such as medicine and health-allied, engineering, hospitality or hotel and restaurant management, tourism or travel management, and marine engineering and marine transportation were allowed to hold limited face-to-face classes in areas under modified general community quarantine.

More than 300 universities were given the go signal to hold physical classes with 21,000 students and 1,000 faculty members allowed to join the in-person learning.

“Titingnan natin doon sa next batch na mga degree programs kung ligtas pa rin ang mga estudyante at mga guro at baka papayagan din sila kahit na medyo ristricted area pa yung kanilang lugar,” De Vera said.

“Magiging dalawa ‘yung face-to-face, by degree program and possibly by geographical area,” he added.

De Vera further said that even if the holding of limited face-to-face classes in all courses will be approved by the national government, they will still abide by whatever the decision of local governments will be.

CHED said it continues to strengthen its immunization rollout among students and school personnel through the series of vaccination caravan scheduled for the coming days. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Janice Ingente)

Coronavirus crisis may get “worse and worse and worse,” warns WHO

UNTV News   •   July 14, 2020

The new coronavirus pandemic raging around the globe will worsen if countries fail to adhere to strict healthcare precautions, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Monday (July 13).

“Let me be blunt, too many countries are headed in the wrong direction, the virus remains public enemy number one,” WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual briefing from the U.N. agency’s headquarters in Geneva.

Global infections stand at 13 million, according to a Reuters tally, with more than half a million deaths.

Tedros, whose leadership has been heavily criticised by U.S. President Donald Trump, said that of 230,000 new cases on Sunday (July 12), 80% were from 10 nations, and 50% from just two countries. The United States and Brazil are the countries worst hit.

Tedros said the WHO had still not received formal notification of the U.S. pullout announced by Trump. The U.S. president says the WHO pandered to China, where the COVID-19 disease was first detected, at the start of the crisis. Trump, who wore a protective face mask for the first time in public at the weekend, has himself been accused by political opponents of not taking the coronavirus seriously enough, something he denies.

A WHO advance team has gone to China to investigate the origins of the new coronavirus, first discovered in the city of Wuhan. The team’s members are in quarantine, as per standard procedure, before they begin work with Chinese scientists, WHO emergencies head Mike Ryan said. (Reuters)

(Production: Ardee Napolitano)

Pilot in Kobe Bryant helicopter crash may have become disoriented in heavy fog – NTSB

UNTV News   •   June 18, 2020

The pilot of a helicopter that crashed in foothills near Los Angeles, killing basketball great Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and all seven others on board, likely became disoriented in the fog, federal investigators said on Wednesday (June 17).

The National Transportation Safety Board report said pilot Ara Zobayan told air traffic controllers that his helicopter was climbing, when in fact it was descending shortly before slamming into a hillside outside the community of Calabasas on Jan. 26.

The NTSB said that pilots can become confused over an aircraft’s attitude and acceleration when they cannot see the sky or landscape around them, causing “spacial disorientation.”

“Without outside references or attention to the helicopter’s attitude display, the actual pitch and bank angles have the potential to be misperceived,” the NTSB said.

The findings came in a “public docket” released by the NTSB as it investigates the crash. The agency has not yet released its final report. (Reuters)

(Production: Omar Younis)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.