Prices of bottled water, plastic drums spike amid shortage
by UNTV News | Posted on Friday, 15 March 2019 12:07 AM
From a gallon of water costing P30, it now costs P50.
The phone in Jay Tandayo’s water station has been ringing nonstop with customers asking only one question: when will their delivery arrive?
Jay and his crew still haven’t slept after driving to Sampaloc, Manila to get water supply. The weak water pressure in Mandaluyong could no longer fill up their own tank.
In order to supplement the expenses they used for gasoline, they had no choice but to increase prices.
Because of their dedication to their customers, they are prepared for sleepless nights, even if with meager earnings.
“Mahirap podahilnaaapektuhanangnegosyonatin kaya ginagawaponamin, nag aangkat kami sa Sampaloc para continuous ang supply. Sa ngayonhindinaminmasabingkumikita o nalulugiperosiguro break-even [It is difficult because our business is affected. We source our stock from Sampaloc for continuous supply. For now, we cannot say if we are earning or not, it’s more of a break-even],” Tandayo said.
Mandaluyong resident Ariel Blaza, meanwhile, is prepared to pay even up to P100 for water as long as his kids will have something to drink.
The water coming from their faucet is not drinkable.
“Gigising ka ng madalingaraw para magibig ng tubig parang ihi lang lumalabassagripominsan marumi pa, makalawang. Wala tayomagagawakailangannatin ng tubigkunghindi ka namanbibili ng tubig, anoiinumin mo baka mas mahirap pa bakamagkasakit ka pa lalo mas malakigagastusin mo [You will wake up so early in the morning just to collect water but the water pressure would be weak and rusty. We cannot do anything about it because we need water. If you will not buy water, what will you drink? Worse is, you might get sick which would cost more],” he said.
Another resident, Andrea Bernasol, painstakingly carries a gallon of water to her home despite her slim physique.
The water from their faucet is also dirty so she is willing to pay for clean water.
“Wala namangmagagawa, for safetyna rin. Puro kasi kami babaesabahay kaya walang choice [There’s not much we can do about it, it is for our safety. We are all women at home, so we have to carry it ourselves],” she said.
Several laundry shops and water stations in Mandaluyong have already closed due to lack of water supply.
Aside from high water prices, there is also an increase in plastic drum prices. In a residential area in the city, a plastic drum costs P350 which previously cost P150 to P200.
Meanwhile, the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) has warned water refilling stations that are overcharging.
“Hindi silapwedengmagsamantalakasipapasoknaang DTI hindiporque water refilling station sila ay hindinanaminsakopsiyempre the fact nabinobotenilaiyan para inuminpapasoknangayonang jurisdiction ng DTI [They cannot abuse the price hike because the DTI will monitor that. Just because they are a water refilling station doesn’t mean they are not under our jurisdiction. The fact that they put water in bottles to drink, it falls under the DTI’s jurisdiction],” DTI undersecretary Ruth Castelo said.
The DTI will also inspect water refilling stations in affected areas in order to check if their price increase on bottled water is still fair. —Aileen Cerrudo (with reports from Mon Jocson)
by UNTV News | Posted on Wednesday, 20 March 2019 04:19 PM
President Rodrigo Duterte admonished the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System, and water concessionaires Manila Water and Maynilad upon meeting with them on Tuesday night (March 19).
The President reportedly didn’t even bother to hear any of their defense on the water shortage.
In a statement, Malacañang said the Chief Executive issued a stern warning of removing MWSS from their posts and terminating the contracts of the two water concessionaires if their services will not improve.
“The Chief Executive bluntly told them to ‘shape up or ship out’!” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.
MWSS Administrator Reynaldo Velasco assured they have already laid out plans to prevent having a repeat of the water interruption in Metro Manila.
“If I cannot do it, I will resign immediately,” Velasco added.
Velasco also admitted that the Chief Executive’s directive issued last week had been a big help for them to immediately resolve the water outage in the east zone of Metro Manila.
The official, meanwhile, denied allegations that the water shortage is just artificial and made-up to justify the construction of the New Centennial Water Source-Kaliwa Dam Project.
Velasco said, “Hindi sila pwedeng magmoro-moro sa amin. Pag moro-moro insult sa aming intelligence.We are on top of the situation. Di pwedeng mag-arte-arte yang mga water concessionaires (They cannot not play us for fools. It will be an insult to our intelligence. We are on top of the situation. These concessionaires should stop acting up).”
Meanwhile, the MWSS expects that the delivery of water supply will go back to normal in Metro Manila come April, except for some barangays in elevated areas.
Still, the MWSS assures these barangays of sufficient water supply.
“That’s not a problem because we have 150 fleets of water tanks,” Velasco added.
Meanwhile, Manila Water Spokesperson Jeric Sevilla said in a statement that they are “focused now on exerting all efforts to bring water service availability back to normal levels at the earliest possible time.” – Maris Federez
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Wednesday, 20 March 2019 10:05 AM
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday (March 19) scolded the executives of the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) and the two water concessionaires Manila Water and Maynilad for “not doing their job” that resulted in a metro-wide water shortage.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the Chief Executive vented out his anger on concerned officials and told them to “shape up or ship out!”
“In a stern message delivered without even once looking at the officials, the obviously outraged President threatened to fire the MWSS officials and terminate the concessionaires’ contracts,” Panelo said.
The meeting, which Panelo described as a ‘presidential monologue’, lasted for 40 minutes.
The President ended his tirade by ordering the officials to submit a report on the water shortage before April 7.
“After which he will decide whether heads will roll or whether the contracts of the concessionaires will be terminated,” Panelo concluded.
For more than a week, residents of Metro Manila and Rizal suffered water shortage prompting the administration to direct water authorities to release 150 days-worth of water from Angat Dam to supply affected areas.
The Upper and Lower Houses of Congress conducted their respective hearings on the matter which called for penalties against Manila Water for violating the concession agreement and the resignation of concerned officials over mismanagement, incompetence and negligence. – Marje Pelayo (with details from Rosalie Coz)
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Tuesday, 19 March 2019 11:36 PM
QUEZON CITY, Philippines – After drawing the ire of congressmen at Monday’s hearing on the water crisis, Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) chief regulator Patrick Ty seemed to have pulled himself together to face the members of the Senate anew on Tuesday (March 19).
Ty was in hot water during the hearing at the House of Representatives (HOR) for claiming that the MWSS is powerless to punish Manila Water despite pointing out himself that the water concessionaire violated its mandate to provide 24/7 water to its clients.
But during Tuesday’s hearing in Senate, the chief regulator admitted that due to the ‘unprecedented situation’ caused by water outage and since no law prohibits the government to penalize violation of concession agreement, the MWSS can impose penalty even earlier than the next rebasing on 2022.
“We are studying it right now, we are also actually studying the amount of the penalty that will be imposed, which can be rebated,” Ty said.
“We are exploring the option of imposing it, if there is any, around June or July,” he added.
Ty said the MWSS wants to prioritize fixing the current supply problem.
During the hearing, stakeholders and local officials lamented over the situations in their areas because of shortage of water supply.
“Talagang walang tubig. Ito ang unang (pagkakataon na) naapektuhan (kami). Ang ginawa namin, ang lahat ng fire volunteer namin (ay) nagsama sama kasi talagang nagaaway away na po ang mga tao kasi hinaharang na po ang firetruck,” said Darwin Fernandez, a barangay chief in Mandaluyong City.
Manila Water President and CEO Ferdinand dela Cruz felt sorry for failing their customers but assured that they are mobilizing 30 delivery trucks a day to ration water in affected areas.
“I have instructed our team to look for ways to see how we could have for services that rendered in affected communities,” he said.
Senator Panfilo Lacson, meanwhile, questioned Manila Water regarding the Cardona treatment plant, a project supposed to be completed in December 2018 but has not been operating until today.
MWSS Administration Reynaldo Velasco said, had it running today it could have drawn water from La Mesa Dam and the it could have augmented to the water shortage.
The sad truth, Lacson said, consumers are now paying for the said unfinished project and that is “tantamount to a government sanctioned highway robbery.”
Velasco took the chance to raise the necessity to expedite the construction of the China-funded Kaliwa Dam which he believes would solve the recurrent problem in water supply.
But when asked to explain why the MWSS is pushing for China’s proposal than the much cheaper and faster construction deal of Japan, Velasco said the deal was already closed by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA).
“The project has been approved by the President and we cannot do anything anymore,”
Senate Committee on Public Services chair Senator Grace Poe urged the MWSS to hold Manila Water accountable for the current crisis to compensate the affected clients.
“Imposible na walang kompesasyon sa mga nangungunsumo dahil tayo ay talagang nangungunsime ngayon,” the lady senator said.
Because of the controversy, the Senate panel asked Manila Water to voluntarily lower the succeeding water rate in consideration of the affected customers.
Manila Water was adamant against agreeing, but the MWSS’ chief regulator said they will look into the suggestion.
“That is part of the things that we are doing kung pwede this month huwag mag-charge muna,” Ty assured. — Marje Pelayo (with reports from Nel Maribojoc)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.