Pres. Duterte to take action once probe on P60-M ad deal is complete – Malacañang
admin • May 4, 2018 • 3052
FILE PHOTO: President Rodrigo Duterte.
MANILA, Philippines – The Office of the President is now looking into the controversial P60-million advertisement contract placed in the program managed by the brothers of Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo in the state run-People’s Television (PTV 4).
However, the presidential spokesperson refused to divulge who particularly in the president’s office investigates the issue.
But Malacañang assured the probe includes all those involved and the president will take appropriate actions once the investigation is complete
“Many reports have reached the OP, and the president have taken action on these. Don’t be on a rush, let the investigations proceed to determine if reports are correct or not, the president has already a track record on this,” Presidential Spokesperson Roque said.
Previous reports said that aside from Tourism Secretary Teo, the probe also covers Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar.
Andanar oversees PTV 4 as Palace communications chief.
“Of course it would be an investigation that would cover everyone. I leave the statement of SAP Bong Go for whatever it is worth, he was the one quoted as having said Secretary Andanar is part of that so I let it be,” Roque added.
Andanar, meanwhile, refused to give comments on this issue while investigations are ongoing.
For now, Malacañang said President Duterte has no directives for Cabinet members involved in the controversy to resign, particularly Secretary Teo.
“Every Cabinet member, unless they’re fired, enjoys the trust and confidence of the president,” the presidential spokesman said. – Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – Hotels in areas classified under general community quarantine (GCQ) and modified GCQ will soon be allowed to accept guests at full capacity in a bid to help the tourism industry recover from the effects of the pandemic, the Department of Tourism (DOT) said Wednesday.
Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) has given the authority to the DOT to determine the allowable operational capacity for hotels, including those that offer staycations.
Puyat, however, stressed that the decision to open at 100% capacity will be up to the hotel management and subject to compliance with safety guidelines.
The announcement follows the issuance last week of an IATF resolution which amends the provision that only allows establishments in GCQ areas to operate with a skeleton work force.
For accommodation establishments in areas declared to be under MGCQ, Resolution No. 79 provides that the DOT shall determine their allowable operational capacity from the previous provision for a maximum of 50% operational capacity.
Operational capacity is defined by the IATF as such a number of employees who can be permitted to physically report to work on-site.
“Also approved in the said resolution is the easing up of interzonal and intrazonal movement, which is the predicate to reviving domestic tourism,” Puyat said.
“Along with this comes the need to ready the whole tourism value chain, which includes the accommodation, transportation, and tour operation sectors. Allowing the accommodation sector to operate at full capacity will be most welcomed by tourism’s workforce that has been greatly affected since the community lockdown,” she added.
The DOT is set to issue guidelines for the expanded operational capacity of hotels, she further stated.
Puyat earlier directed all hotels and other tourism establishments in GCQ areas to secure a DOT Certificate of Authority to Operate for Staycations (DCAOS) prior to accommodating any guests for that purpose.
The Department of Tourism (DOT) welcomes the news that Ilocos Sur will open to Luzon residents on November 15.
In a press release issued on Sunday (October 18), the DOT said the province will once again open its doors to tourists once all systems and health and safety measures are in place.
Ilocos Sur Governor Ryan V. Singson made the announcement to open up the province following the growing interest from tourists from the National Capital Region (NCR) during the launch of the Reef and Ridge traveler corridor.
The DOT also lauded Governor Singson’s initiative, noting that such measure aims to give back jobs to the tourism workforce from the kutcheros or carriage drivers to the waiters, the souvenir shops, to the tour guides through the slow but sure reopening of the province.
Ilocos Sur first welcomed back tourists through the Ridge and Reef travel corridor with Baguio City and Ilocos Region including the provinces of La Union, Pangasinan, and Ilocos Norte.
The province takes pride of its famous tourist destinations, such as, Vigan Heritage Village and Calle Crisologo, Plaza Salcedo Dancing Fountain, Bantay Bell Tower, Santa Maria Church, and Plaza Burgos.
MANILA, Philippines – Several hotels in Metro Manila have opened for “staycations” amid general community quarantine, the Department of Tourism (DOT) said.
Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said at least 10 luxury hotels have resumed normal operations after they were issued with certificates of authority to operate for staycations.
These hotels include Grand Hyatt Manila and Shangri-La at the Fort in Taguig City, Hryatt Regency City of Dreams, Makati Shangri-La, EDSA Shangri-La in Mandaluyong City, Joy Nostalg Hotel and Suites in Pasig City, Solaire Resort, Okada Manila, Nobu Hotel in Parañaque City, and City of Dreams Manila – Nüwa.
“People living in NCR, they want to go out and they want to have a sense of normalcy. And staycation is nothing new. They’ve been doing it in Singapore, in Japan; and it’s very safe. That’s why we have–we follow the minimum health and safety protocols,” Romulo-Puyat said.
DOT guidelines define staycations as a minimum of an overnight stay for leisure purposes in hotels not being used as isolation or quarantine facilities.
The tourism chief said amended guidelines for accommodation establishments have already been issued to ensure safety of guests amid the pandemic.
The tourism chief said families may take part in a short staycation activity as this allows guests of all ages; provided, that they are COVID-free based on a rapid antigen test conducted on the same day of check-in.
“Filipinos di ba laging travel as a family. So, when we mentioned this staycation that we removed the age restrictions, masaya syempre yung mga pamilya kasi they really want to be with their apos. So, at least, this is a good chance for them,” she said.
The DOT is optimistic that staycations will help boost domestic tourism, revive the hotel industry, and pave the way for job generation.
“In 2019, tourism employed 5.7 million people. As of today, 4.8 million have already been affected. Either they lost their jobs or the salaries got lower. So, we really need to restart. We need to get jobs back,” Romulo-Puyat said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.