Pres. Duterte denies involvement in Janet Napoles’ allegations vs. Sen. Franklin Drilon
UNTV News • January 25, 2018 • 3606
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has dared Senator Franklin Drilon to expose a person who can prove allegations that he implicated the senator in the pork barrel scam.
This was after PDAF scam queen Janet Lim Napoles revealed that the senator received a P5-million donation from her for the lawmaker’s campaign funds in the 2010 elections.
The President added he is willing to resign if this will be proven.
“Senator Drilon, if I talked to somebody urging a case against you sa (on) PDAF, bring that person in my presence and I will resign because you are my friend,” Duterte said.
The Liberal Party claims the Duterte Administration is trying to divert the attention of the public away from issues such as inflation and the alleged favor given to China by the government regarding the West Philippine Sea and Philippine Rise — same reasons they said why the government wants Drilon to be investigated on PDAF scam.
“If you look at the timing after the minority submitted a resolution to investigate the Navy frigate issue, suddenly there is a convict to speak against the opposition,” Sen. Bam Aquino said.
Meanwhile, the President once again warned those who are using the hangar at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport but are not paying due charges.
“To the rich, you better be prepared. Even a clerk of the airport would say that it’s about time that we use that goddam space there. I will bulldoze all of you, I don’t care,” said Duterte.
Last year, the Philippine Airlines paid around P6-billion worth of backlog fee after President Duterte warned of shutting down NAIA Terminal 2 if the company will not pay its obligation to the government. – Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Friday denied involvement in the filing of sedition charges against Vice President Leni Robredo and other known opposition figures over the “Ang Totoong Narcolist” video series.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo insisted that the Palace had nothing to do with the complaint, when asked if the move is part of the Duterte administration’s “crackdown” against the opposition group.
“We have nothing to do with this case. None at all,” Panelo said in a statement.
The Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) on Thursday filed the complaint before the Department of Justice (DOJ) in connection with videos, where a certain Bikoy linked members of the Duterte family to the narcotics trade.
Peter Joemel Advincula, who claimed to be the hooded figure “Bikoy” in the videos, was named in the complaint as a witness and respondent.
Aside from Robredo, other named respondents in the complaint were former Senators Bam Aquino, Antonio Trillanes IV, Senators Risa Hontiveros, Leila de Lima and members of the Otso Diretso senatorial slate.
Cyber libel, estafa, and obstruction of justice charges were also filed by the police against a total of 38 respondents.
The Liberal Party (LP) has branded the filing of sedition charges against Vice President Leni Robredo, bishops, and the opposition as a form of “harassment” and “persecution”.
Opposition Senator Francis Pangilinan said the charges are false and lack basis.
“Political harassment at persecution ang ginawang pagsampa ng kaso ng sedition, inciting to sedition, at kung anu-ano pa kina Vice President Leni Robredo at sa ating mga kaalyado sa Senado at sa mga kandidato natin sa Otso Diretso, at maging sa mga sumuporta sa ating mga taong-simbahan, (The sedition charges, inciting to sedition, and other cases filed against Vice President Leni Robredo and our allies in the senate, as well as the Otso Diretso candidates and bishops is a form of political harassment and persecution)” he said in a statement.
Pangilinan added the ‘enemies of democracy’ are using the charges against VP Leni because she is the only one stopping them from continuing “extrajudicial killings”, and selling the Philippines to China.—AAC
MANILA, Philippines – July 12, 2019, marks the third anniversary of the Philippine’s arbitral win against China’s historical claims on the South China Sea, part of which is the West Philippine Sea.
The Permanent Court of Arbitration’s landmark ruling thus invalidated China’s so-called ‘Nine-Dash Line’ – the undefined demarcation line that encircles as much as 90 percent of the disputed waters in the area.
The Duterte administration downplayed the victory in hopes of building stronger ties with China and preferred to offer diplomacy rather than further escalating the tension by sending military troops to the disputed waters, even amid reports of harassment against Filipino fishermen and the Chinese destroying and exploiting the Philippines’ marine resources.
Maritime expert Jay Batongbacal expressed deep concern on the continuous deterioration and massive destruction of the marine environment in the West Philippine Sea.
“This has to stop and we have to get serious,” the Director of the University of the Philippines Institute of Maritime Affairs and Law of the Sea appealed.
“And we’re not talking about going to war. We’re talking about simple things like stopping the destruction of a common pool resource that would benefit us all,” he added.
Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio, meanwhile, acknowledge that war is not an option in the West Philippine Sea row as the Constitution forbids.
But Carpio blamed the Duterte administration’s inaction, accusing it of using such provision of the law to instill fear among Filipinos as if the Philippines has no other option but to obey with what China offers.
“This administration has done nothing whatsoever to enforce the arbitral award,” Carpio said.
“I don’t see positive in the enforcement of the award,” he added.
The magistrate appealed to President Duterte not to formalize his verbal agreement with China’s Xi Jinping in his upcoming state of the nation address (SONA) that allows Chinese fishermen to fish within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) of the country in the WPS.
Carpio said, once Duterte formalizes the agreement, the Philippines would be bound and that would weaken the Arbitral ruling.
“If the President will confirm it in his SONA, I mean, we cannot get out of that anymore. So, we’re bound by that, we have to honor that. So, that means China can fish in an area 59 times larger than Scarborough Shoal,” Carpio argued.
Malacañang stressed that the President considers his agreement with Xi as legally binding, but Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. insisted that it cannot be executed because there is no written document to attest the deal.
For her part, former Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales said the issue will still depend on how the President delivers the matter during his SONA.
She calls on Filipinos to stand for the country’s rights no matter what happens.
“Let us not be scared by all the propaganda that we hear. Because if we do, walang mangyayari (nothing will happen),” Morales said.
“Be brave,” she concluded. – with details from Harlene Delgado
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.