PRA urged to review policy allowing 35-year old foreign retirees in PHL

Robie de Guzman   •   October 22, 2020   •   420

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Nancy Binay has called on the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) to review its existing policies which allow retirees as young as 35 years old to stay in the country.

In a statement, Binay said the PRA should revisit its policies, do a background check and implement a stricter vetting process “to lessen the probability of foreign nationals exploiting the special resident retiree visas (SRRV).”

“It’s high time to review the policy na 35 years old ka lang ay pwede ka na mag-retire dito sa Pilipinas kasi ang kailangan lang po ng magre-retire ay either mag-deposit siya ng US$50,000 sa bangko, or bumili ng condo unit worth P2.5 million at pwede nang mag-retire dito,” she said.

Binay issued the call after some senators expressed alarm upon learning in a Senate hearing that foreigners aged 35 years old and above are eligible for the SRRV.

It was also revealed during the hearing that Chinese nationals are among the top foreign retirees in the country.

Binay also hit the “seemingly relaxed national security policy” on allowing Chinese nationals who are 35 years old, which she says falls in the bracket of the so-called “soldier’s age.”

“Siguro dapat dagdagan din ang security measure at baka dapat higpitan ang vetting process ng mga tatanggapin natin regardless of nationality,” she said.

She also said that she finds the PRA’s age limit concerning and noted how foreigners can exploit this to work in the country without going through the proper channels.

“Alam naman natin at 35 years old malakas pa po ang katawan niyan. Lalong-lalo po mayroon tayong problema ngayon na kung saan may issue tayo na apparently ang mga kababayan natin ay nagkakaroon ng job displacement pagdating dito sa pagpasok ng mga Chinese nationals sa ating bansa,” she said.

“Pwede (ang mga yan ay) nagtatrabaho sa POGO, or pwede rin po baka nandiyan sila sa Divisoria. Kaya nga po magandang tingnan at pag-aralan kasi baka kumbaga ginagamit nila itong paraan to circumvent the law na hindi sila puwedeng mag-trabaho dito,” she added

Data from the PRA showed there are a total of 70,520 foreign retirees in the Philippines. Of this number, Chinese nationals comprise the highest number of foreign retirees or about 40%.

This is followed by Korean retirees at around 14,000, and Indian nationals at about 6,000.

PRA suspends processing of application for retiree’s visa

Robie de Guzman   •   October 23, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) on Friday announced that it is temporarily stopping the processing of applications for new Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV).

In an advisory, the PRA said the processing of applications for SRRV will be suspended starting Oct. 23 “until further notice.”

“Pending the ongoing review of the Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV) Program and the Authority’s compliance with the directives set forth by the Philippine Retirement Authority’s Board of Trustees (BOT) during the Board Meeting held on Oct. 23, the public is hereby advised that the acceptance and processing of applications for new Special Resident Retiree’s Visa at the PRA head office and all satellite offices are suspended beginning Oct. 23 until further notice,” the advisory read.

“For servicing-related transactions of existing SRRV holders, kindly coordinate ith the Servicing Division at servicing@pra.gov.ph or telephone number +632-8848-1412 to 16 loc. 2007, 2009-2011, 2054, 2038, 2063,” it added.

The agency made the move after it was revealed during a Senate hearing that the PRA had been allowing foreign nationals as young as 35 years old to stay in the country.

It was also learned during the hearing that Chinese nationals are among the top foreign retirees in the country.

Data from the PRA showed there are a total of 70,520 foreign retirees in the Philippines. Of this number, Chinese nationals comprise the highest number of foreign retirees or about 40%.

This is followed by Korean retirees at around 14,000, and Indian nationals at about 6,000.

Several senators have urged the PRA to revisit its policies, do a background check, and implement a stricter vetting process “to lessen the probability of foreign nationals exploiting the special resident retiree visas.”

Training of public school teachers for distance learning to be completed by July—DepEd

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 25, 2020

The training of public school teachers for distance learning is set to be completed by July, according to the Department of Education (DepEd).

During the Senate Committee hearing on Thursday (June 25), DepEd reported that only 40 percent of the 800,000 public school teachers have completed their training.

Deped Undersecretary Tony Umali said there will be a massive training to be led by the National Educators Academy of the Philippines.

Senator Nancy Binay, meanwhile, questioned DepEd for the lack of “mapping” to determine the best learning modality in various areas in the country.

“Iyong training na gagawin sa teachers dapat angkop sa kakayahan ng lugar. For example, let’s say Bukidnon or Cordillera na alam naman natin mahirap ang signal. So why would we train our teachers for an online way of teaching our kids when alam naman natin na mukhang mahirap iyong ganung klase ng pagtuturo? (The training for teachers should be appropriate for the area. For example, let’s say in Bukidnon or Cordillera which we know have difficulty in signal. Why would we train our teachers for an online way of teaching kids when we know that mode of teaching would be difficult),” she said.

DepEd said they are conducting surveys to determine the capacity of students and teachers for alternative learning modality under distance learning.

“Kasi po kasabay nga po ng aming registration form ay may survey, dapat malaman namin kung ano ba ang pinakamabisang modality, pamamaraan ng pagtuturo at pag-aaral ng mga bata, (With our registration form, we also have a survey. It should help us determine what is the best modality, mode of learning for the students’ education),” Umali said.

The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) has already prepared the educational radio programs and scripts for the digital programs for Grade 9 and 10 Math and Science lessons.

Meanwhile, DepEd calls on private schools to suspend tuition fee hike and other fees.

“The Department of Education appeals to private educational institutions in basic education to defer increases in tuition and other miscellaneous fees or charges for School Year 2020-2021. In view of the financial constraints that parents and learners are expected to face due to the COVID-19 pandemic situation,” DepEd said. AAC (with reports from Harlene Delgado)

Gatchalian, Binay test negative for coronavirus

Robie de Guzman   •   March 17, 2020

Senators Sherwin Gatchalian and Nancy Binay

MANILA, Philippines – Senators Sherwin Gatchalian and Nancy Binay on Tuesday announced they tested negative for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

In separate statements, Gatchalian and Binay both confirmed they are not infected with the virus, and thanked everyone for their prayers, support and encouraging messages.

The two legislators earlier submitted themselves to a voluntary home quarantine after a resource person who later tested positive for the virus attended a Senate hearing they were both in.

The Senate was closed earlier for disinfection, but Senate President Vicente Sotto III said that the upper chamber will remain “business as usual” to ensure that legislative work would continue even while community quarantine is being enforced.

Gatchalian said that with his negative test result, he is now ending his self-quarantine.

“After submitting myself to a COVID-19 test last Friday, I’m happy to announce today that I tested negative for the virus. Thus, I am ending my self-quarantine,” he said in a Facebook post.

Binay, however, said she will continue to stay home and finish her 14-day quarantine.

“I will still continue with my 14-day quarantine. Hindi pa po tapos ang laban natin kontra sa COVID-19, and we don’t want to have a false sense of security,” she wrote on her Facebook account.

The two senators also called on the public to seriously follow the regulations set by the government, including strict social distancing, practicing of proper hygiene, and home quarantine to stop the spread of COVID-19.

“There’s a lot of work to be done especially in the middle of this crisis while the number of infected cases continues to rise. We must pool our resources together to fight this dreaded virus. Hinihikayat ko po ang lahat na sumunod sa mga panuntunan na inilatag ng ating gobyerno para hindi na lumobo ang bilang ng mga kaso ng COVID-19,” Gatchalian said.

“COVID-19 is a serious matter. Let’s take the necessary precautions in protecting ourselves for the sake of our families and everyone else,” Binay said.

President Rodrigo Duterte has placed the entire Luzon region under enhanced community quarantine from March 17 to April 12.

The Philippines has so far recorded 142 coronavirus infections with 12 deaths.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.