Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico City; death toll mounts to over 200

admin   •   September 20, 2017   •   4348

A powerful earthquake struck Mexico on Tuesday afternoon, toppling buildings, rattling the capital and sending people flooding into the streets.

Over a hundred people had been reported killed across the country, including scores in the state of Morelos, close to the epicenter of the quake, and dozens in the capital, Mexico City.

But the figure is expected to climb, especially because rescuers are still frantically digging out people trapped beneath mounds of rubble.

“We are facing an emergency in Mexico City, in the states of Puebla and Morelos we are here in Mexico City to help those people affected. There are medical centers available and public hospitals are opening up their services to everyone we may still find people under the rubble. Stay in touch, follow lines of communication, we will keep people updated,” said Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto.

Residents in Mexico City, having just experienced shaking from a recent 8.1 magnitude quake say the tremors on Tuesday were far worse.

“The ground started moving, it was very strong, the windows started to break, people started to leave their homes, this building in front collapsed,” said Oswaldo Casillas, a local resident.

“I was in the building and everything started to shake,” said resident Roberto Aguilar.

“It was a dark day for Mexico City, there was a lot of disasters, we never thought that such a disaster would happen in this city. We regret this tragedy, we suffered,” said emergency rescuer Mario Norberto.

The epicenter of Tuesday’s earthquake and the larger one on Sept. 7 were more than 400 miles apart, but they both occurred in a region where one of the earth’s crustal plates, the Cocos, is sliding beneath another, the North America. — Reuters

 

 

Tisoy death toll now at 13

Maris Federez   •   December 4, 2019

A handout photo made available by Greenpeace-Philippines shows villagers working among damaged houses in the aftermath of Typhoon Kammuri in Legazpi city, Albay Province, Philippines, 03 December 2019. EPA-EFE/BASILIO SEPE

MANILA, Philippines – The death toll on the onslaught of Typhoon Tisoy (International Name: Kammuri) has now reached 13.

According to the Philippine National Police (PNP) Region 5 data, five were confirmed dead in the Bicol region, with one person recorded injured.

The Mimaropa Public Information Office, on the other hand, reported four fatalities in Oriental Mindoro and one in the province of Marinduque.

Calabarzon recorded two deaths in Quezon Province, while Leyte reported one fatality in Ormoc City.

So far, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has not issued an official death toll on Tisoy’s aftermath.

NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal said they are still verifying the reported fatalities.

The families of deceased victims will be given P20,000 financial aid, while those who were injured by the typhoon will be handed out P10,000.

The agency is still conducting damage assessment in infrastructure and agriculture.

“Yung assessment po sa Bicol at sa Samar provinces na dinaanan ng bagyo, ongoing. At nakikita po natin na ‘yung mga reports na nagkaroon ng mga pagbaha doon sa area, ito po’y unti-unting pinapadala sa atin ng mga kasamahan natin from the ground,” Timbal said.

The latest data from the NDRRMC said more than 100,000 families or over 400,000 individuals in Regions 3, 5, 8, NCR and Mimaropa were evacuated from their homes.

The NDRRMC has assured that relief goods are available and ready to be distributed in case affected provinces, even those under a state of calamity, will signify their need for additional supplies. (with inputs from Harlene Delgado) /mbmf

Patients stay in gym after magnitude 5.9 earthquake damages hospital in Bukidnon

Marje Pelayo   •   November 22, 2019

BUKIDNON, Philippines — Around 20 patients of Simbulan Hospital remain in a gymnasium in the municipality of Don Carlos because cracks from Monday’s (November 18) magnitude 5.9 earthquake has posed threats to their safety.

According to Councilor Keith Anthony Kotico, the gymnasium is the safest for the patients based on the structural assessment of the local government unit (LGU).

“Prior to evacuation, this has already been pointed as an evacuation area it was already assessed,” Kotico said.

Patients were ill at ease due to fear that the hospital walls might collapse at any moment.

“Kasi gumagalaw na talaga ang dingding (The walls were moving ),” observed Boy Palingcod whose sibling is a patient at Simbulan Hospital.

The Bukidnon Provincial Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) is doing rounds in other areas hit by the earthquake to assess the damages.

Personnel from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). Likewise, join the assessment to address the needs of the affected residents. MNP (with details from Weng Fernandez)

Int’l language center in Malaysia to raise funds for earthquake victims in Mindanao

Marje Pelayo   •   November 20, 2019

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia – An international language training institution based in Kuala Lumpur is launching a fundraising program for earthquake victims in Mindanao.

Royce Language Center’s Principal Sitinor Khajar Binti Nordin said the collected amount will be donated to families affected by the series of temblor that damaged several houses and structures in the region.

The school official said they have actually received applications from students who are locals of Mindanao and among those badly hit by the disaster.

“We would like to help any number of schools as our priority. Being a language school in Malaysia, we do understand the value of education,” Nordin said.

The principal said they wanted to extend assistance to affected school and students in Mindanao as a way to help them recover from the tragedy.

The RLC is planning to make the fundraising a regular event after its success.

“We have never done that before. This is going to be our first experience,” Nordin said.

“We are looking forward to it and if it goes well, we may make fund-raising one of our usual activities,” she added. – MNP (with reports from Maya Barquez)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.