Port of Batangas destroys P79-M worth of smuggled cigarettes

Aileen Cerrudo   •   December 11, 2020   •   658

The Port of Batangas has destroyed the Php79.51 million worth of smuggled cigarettes in a destruction facility in Pampanga.

The said shipment arrived at the Port of Batangas from China on October 12 and declared as laptop bags. After receiving reports, the Port of Batangas issued a warrant of seizure and detention whereby the shipment was discovered to contain illegal goods.

The condemnation ceremony was held as part of the port’s intensified campaign against smuggling. AAC

P3B revenues collected from pork imports under reduced tariff, increased MAV system

Robie de Guzman   •   November 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs (BOC) has posted collections amounting to P3 billion from swine meat imports under a reduced tariff system, the Department of Finance (DOF) said.

In a statement, the DOF said that the BOC reported 197 million kilograms (kg) of pork imports from April 7 to Nov. 12 this year.

However, the bureau estimated that it has foregone some P3.4 billion in revenues as of November due to the decreased tariff scheme.

The reduced tariff system was implemented in the second quarter of this year to boost the supply of pork and stabilize its retail prices in the domestic market.

To recall, President Rodrigo Duterte had issued a series of executive orders (EOs) that took effect starting April 7 to lower pork import tariffs and increase the allowable import volumes of the meat to help stabilize the domestic supply and prices of this food staple for the benefit of Filipino consumers.

Executive Order (EO) No. 128, which lowered pork import tariffs to 5 percent within its minimum access volume (MAV) and 15 percent outside MAV for the first three months, was in effect from April 7 to May 14.

EO 134, which superseded EO 128, set tariffs on pork imports under the MAV to 10 percent for the first three months, and 15 percent in the next nine months.

For imports outside the MAV, the tariffs are 20 percent for the first three months and 25 percent in the succeeding nine months.

The one-year effectivity of EO 134 began on May 15, 2021.

“To compute for the effect of the two EOs, we multiplied the dutiable value of meat by 25 percent—less 5 percent and 15 percent—which were already paid for EO 128, and multiply the dutiable value by 20 percent and 15 percent for EO 134. The result showed a revenue loss of P3.4 billion,” BOC Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrero said during a recent meeting with DOF.

Guerrero said the volume of pork imports started spiking in March and continuously grew in April to May, but dropped starting June.

The volume of pork imports in April, the month when the two EOs took effect, grew 500.46 percent, from 4.07 million kg in the same month last year to 24.45 million kg.

“This dramatic increase in pork import volumes continued in May, when a total of 36.5 million kg entered the country, representing a 506-percent hike from the 6.02 million kg imported during the same period in 2020,” the BOC said.

In June, the bureau said that pork imports reached 33.62 million kg, which was 531.39 percent more than the 5.32 million kg brought into the country during the same period last year.

“Pork imports continued its steady drop in July, when volumes totaled 31.18 million kg, which was 370.4 percent more than the 6.63 million kg, recorded in the same month of 2020,” it added.

The agency also noted that in August, pork imports increased 271.59 percent year-on-year, and dropped to 164.55 percent in September and 78.47 percent in October.

The volume of pork imports was 6.41 million kg in August 2020 and 23.82 million kg in August 2021; 9.73 million kg in September 2o20 and 25.73 million kg in September 2021; and 10.85 million kg in October 2020 and 19.36 million kg in October 2021.

From November 1-12, pork imports of 7.47 million kg were lower by 11.64 percent compared to last year’s 8.46 million for the same period.

Halaga ng nakumpiskang smuggled goods ng BOC, umakyat sa P23B ngayong 2021

Maris Federez   •   November 22, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines — Mas pinalakas na ng Bureau of Customs (BOC) ang mga hakbang nito upang mapigilan na ang pagpasok ng mga iligal na kontrabando sa bansa.

Ngunit sa kabila nito ayon kay BOC Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrero, may nakakalusot pa rin na ilang smuggled goods dahil na rin sa limitasyon ng pagsasagawa nila ng inspeksyon ng mga kargamento.

“Talagang ganun po yun, your Honor, kasi may mga limitasyon rin po tayo pagdating sa pagko conduct ng inspection ng Puerto. Because of lack of facility, hindi po lahat nadidiskarga laman ng containers para makita ang kabuuang laman ng container,”ani Guerrero.

Sa ulat ng BOC sa Kamara, aabot na sa Php23 bilyon ang halaga ng smuggled goods na kanilang nakumpiska mula Enero hanggang Oktubre ngayong taon.

Mas malaki ito kumpara sa nakalipas na dalawang taon.

Ayon kay Guerrero, pinalawak na nila  ang paghabol sa mga kontrabando lalo na ng mga counterfeit o fake goods.

“Sa letters of authority na inissue ko, ikocover namin even yung mga warehouses, stores kung saan nakikita natin yung mgaganyang violations,” dagdag nito.

Nababahala naman si Bayan Muna Partylist Representative Ferdinand Gaite kung magpapatuloy ang pagdagsa ng mga smuggled goods partikular na ang mga produktong galing sa agrikultura.

“May ilang pag-aaral ang iba’t-ibang grupo for example yung mga smuggling sa rice, agricultural products and others definitely may direct impact yan sa ating mga magsasaka,” ani Gaite.

Ayon sa BOC, para malabanan ang iligal na pagpasok ng mga produkto, bahagi ng kanilang 10-point priority program noon pang 2020 ang full automation ng frontline transactions, partikular na ang implementasyon ng no-contact policy.

Kasama rin sa 10-point priority program ang target na full implementation ng Customs Modernization Program na popondohan ng World Bank. —/mbmf (mula sa ulat ni UNTV Correspondent Nel Maribojoc)

Smuggled onions declared as ‘mantou’ seized in Misamis Oriental

Robie de Guzman   •   November 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Five containers of smuggled red onions misdeclared as “mantou” or Chinese steamed buns were seized in Misamis Oriental, the Bureau of Customs (BOC) said Friday.

In a statement, the BOC said its personnel at the Port of Cagayan confiscated the shipment after a spot inspection on Thursday at the Mindanao Container Terminal Sub-Port in Tagoloan town.

The shipment from China arrived at the port on November 13. It was consigned to EMV Consumer Goods Trading.

“After receiving a derogatory information from the Intelligence Group that the shipment may contain smuggled goods, Oliver Valiente, Chief, CIIS CDO Field Station requested District Collector Atty. Elvira Cruz to conduct a spot-check inspection against the said shipment,” the BOC said.

The shipment was estimated to be worth P14 million.

“CIIS CDO already requested for the grounding of the 19 remaining containers consigned to the same consignee pending a physical examination,” the bureau said.

A Warrant of Seizure and Detention will be issued against the shipment while the consignee may face charges for violation of the provisions of RA 10863 or Customs Modernization and Tariff Act, the BOC added.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.