Police recover NPA’s anti-tank IED in Surigao del Sur

admin   •   February 5, 2019   •   1959

A tip from a rebel returnee led the Philippine National Police (PNP) to uncover an anti-tank improvised explosive device (IED) buried by the rebel group, New People’s Army (NPA) along National Highway in Barangay Amontay, Marihatag, Surigao del Sur.

Personnel of the Department of Public Works and Highway (DPWH) and PNP Caraga began excavating on January 28 and were able to extract the 8-inch wide and one foot long bomb on Friday (February 1).

PRO-13 Spokesperson Police Superintendent Christian Rafols II said that the bomb has been buried for nine long years inside the lair of communist rebels for tactical operation against the military and police.

“Tapos ang plano nila kasi ang tapat noon sa pinaglagyan ay bundok. Doon naka-standby ang kanilang tropa kasi kung sino yung daw yung hindi mapapatay sa bomba ay ang papatay naman ay yung mga mag a-ambush. So yun ang plano nila,” said the spokesperson.

The bomb’s impact is estimated to cause heavy damage since it is buried underground.

“Ang bomba kung i-cocontain mo siya, mas grabe ang impact kasi ang pinaka shrapnel niya yung mga semento. Magliliparan yan sa mga tao, yun na ang tatama sa mga tao, at mag-cause damage. Mas mabuti na nakuha natin doon kasi magagamit pa nila yun kung gusto nilang gamitin,” said Rafols.

This is the second time since January 1 that PNP Caraga has recovered an IED.

The first one was found inside the backpack of a slain NPA fighter after an encounter in San Agustin, Surigao del Sur last month.

The PNP said the NPA may ride on the bombings in Jolo Sulu and other areas to sow fear among the Caraganons.

PNP Caraga is on heightened alert and has added police visibility in crowded areas. — Raymond Octobre | UNTV News & Rescue

TAGS   , ,

7 injured in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat blast

UNTV News   •   September 7, 2019

A CCTV footage captured the moment of explosion at a public market in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat that injured at least seven people.

At least seven people were wounded in the latest blast to hit Sultan Kudarat.

A spot report from the Western Mindanao Command says a loud explosion ripped through a public market in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat on Saturday (September 7) at 7AM.

The blast is believed to have come from an improvised explosive device that was placed beside a parked motorcycle.

Injured victims were immediately transported to Holy Nazarene Hospital and Sultan Kudarat Provinicial Hospital.

The WestMinCom report identified the victims as:

  1. Jomar Catalan Aquino, 30
  2. Jay Carnaso, 30
  3. Gerald Cartagena, 28
  4. Niño Minus Virgo, 28
  5. Jarren Binaluon Amigo, 24
  6. Gulano Nasim Salip, 24
  7. Cagadas Terrencio, 35

PNP, AFP nab alleged ranking NPA official in Quezon City

Robie de Guzman   •   August 27, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – A joint operation conducted by units from the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has yielded the arrest of an alleged high-ranking official of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) in Quezon City.

Authorities identified the suspect as Esterlita Suaybaguio, who was allegedly serving as secretary of CPP-NPA’s Metro Manila Regional Party Committee.

By virtue of warrant of arrest and search warrant released by the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 89, government forces nabbed Suaybaguio in a unit in Escalades Condominium Tower 5 along 20th Avenue in Cubao, Quezon City.

Allegedly recovered from her were a 9mm pistol, a hand grenade, a magazine with seven rounds of bullets and some subversive documents.

“With the information we got from the public, we coordinated with the Joint Task Force NCR particularly with the Army Intelligence Regiment which resulted with the extensive surveillance, operational research and the case build up. And eventually, we applied for the search warrant na nagresulta nito,” National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Police Major General Guillermo Eleazar told reporters.

Authorities said Suaybagiuo was a former professor in Tagum, Davao del Norte prior to becoming a secretary for communist group’s movement in Southern Mindanao Regional Party Committee and Komisyon Mindanao.

Eleazar said Suaybaguio was handpicked by the CPP Central Committee to oversee the strengthening of its operations in Metro Manila.

“Ongoing yung ating mga ginagawa pa and we would account for their cohorts and colleagues of the arrested suspects,” he said.

The CPP has identified Suaybaguio as one of the consultants of its political arm for Mindanao concerns. The group has demanded for her release, claiming in a statement that the evidence used against her were planted by government troops.

The group also said her arrest violates her rights as a peace consultant for the National Democratic Front of the Philippines, which represents revels in peace negotiations with the government.

“The arrest of Ms. Suaybaguio is but the latest attack against democratic forces perpetrated by the military and police under Duterte’s undeclared nationwide martial law,” the group said.

The PNP has denied the communist rebels’ accusations.

Suaybaguio is currently detained at the Quezon City Police District.

Aside from illegal possession of firearms and explosives, police said Suaybaguio is also facing charges of multiple murder, multiple frustrated murder and murder for the alleged killing of Patrolman Ronald Napalan Jr. in Sitio Libo, Barangay Mahaba in Cabadbaran last June 29. (RRD with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Woman nabbed in Surigao del Sur for exploiting daughter, sisters online

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 17, 2019

The Women and Children Protection Center–Mindanao Field Unit (WCPC-MFU) has arrested a 22-year-old woman exploiting her younger sisters and daughter in online trafficking.

There were reports about the suspect’s illegal online activities last February this year which prompted an investigation by the authorities.

The WCPC-MFU was granted a warrant by the court to search the suspect’s electronic devices for evidence of online sexual exploitation of children (OSEC). The suspect’s identity was not disclosed for the safety of the victims.

Investigation showed the suspect offered to sexually abuse her sisters and daughter and livestream it in exchange for money.

Authorities rescued the suspect’s sisters aged 13 and 15 and her 4-year-old daughter from their home in Barobo, Surigao del Sur on Friday (Aug 16).

Chief of WCPC-MFU Col. Christine Tan reiterates their continuous effort to stop the exploitation of children online.

“To those who are doing this crime or have plans to do it for easy money, you cannot hide. We know how to get you,” she said.

The victims are currently in the custody of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). The suspect will be charged with violation of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act or Republic Act 9208 (as amended by RA 10364), among other violations. —AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.