Police official relieved from post after assaulting cop
Aileen Cerrudo • June 19, 2019 • 4309
Easter Police District Chief PBGen. Christopher Tambungan has been relieved from his post after assaulting a cop assigned in a precinct in San Juan City.
“I am relieving Gen Tambungan administratively from his post temporarily, pending a full and impartial investigation of the matter,” according to National Capital Region Police Office Director (NCRPO) PMGen. Guillermo Eleazar in a statement.
On May 12, Tambungan allegedly hit PCpl April Santiago on the head and later swing his car door to hit her. He also reportedly verbally abused her.
“Allegedly, at about 7 in the evening of May 12, for no justifiable reason at all, BGEN Tambungan confronted PCpl Santiago because she couldn’t help him in a task given her,” the statement reads.
Eleazar said he only received the report on Tuesday (June 18).
“A report of this incident reached my office only yesterday. Apparently, Cpl Santiago hesitated to file a complaint due to her fear that she might be the one to get reprimanded,” he said.
He added that he already made a partial investigation on the issue. —AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines – Five policemen from San Juan City who allegedly disregarded the health and safety protocols in Baguio City amid the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic have been ordered relieved from their posts, the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said on Monday.
NCRPO chief Police Major General Debold Sinas said the five policemen will temporarily stay at the Regional Personnel Holding and Accounting Unit in Camp Bagong Diwa pending investigation into the incident.
Sinas said the cops have been ordered to submit their explanation about the incident in the probe that will be conducted by the regional Internal Affairs Service.
The five cops were part of the entourage of San Juan Mayor Francis Zamora who allegedly snubbed a checkpoint and violated the regulatory mechanism of quarantine check and triage examination at the Naguilian facility last Friday.
Zamora’s convoy also allegedly failed to present a medical health clearance when asked at the Baguio Country Club.
In a separate press briefing, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief General Archie Gamboa said they are also probing whether the said cops violated the protocols in securing an authorization to escort a VIP as only two police officers are allowed to be assigned as permanent VIP security.
“National kami in nature and there are certain protocols in securing individuals, yung sa PSPG is more on permanent security yun. But for case to case basis, a letter order could suffice to secure VIP travel, proper authority should be issued,” Gamboa explained.
The PNP chief also said he has yet to decide on whether San Juan City Police chief Jaime Santos will also be ordered relieved regarding the incident.
“Hindi naman kasama si chief of police sa convoy… I will not give my decision because I have to hear kung ano ang ginawa niya after that. In the course of investigation, ano yung degree ng liability niya,” he said.
The PNP chief added that he already talked to Magalong and apologized over the actions of policemen involved.
He said all police personnel have been told to always abide by local quarantine protocols. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines – The local government of San Juan is eyeing to use the Pinaglabanan Elementary School as a quarantine facility for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients amid a growing number of infections in the city.
San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora said the school has spacious rooms that may be converted into isolation rooms with 90 hospital bed capacity.
Zamora said they have already started the preparations in order to accommodate patients that may be transferred to the facility should local hospitals reach full capacity.
San Juan has so far reported 42 confirmed infections with over 149 patients under monitoring.
Zamora said they are planning to push through with the proposed use of school facilities to house individuals being monitored for coronavirus infections despite the Department of Education’s (DepEd) advice to seek first the approval of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (ATF-EID).
“Wala namang school ngayon, so bakante yang mga facilities na yan… Kung hindi nila papayagan I will have to coordinate with the DepEd sapagkat wala na tayong ibang choice eh,” the mayor said.
He added that the construction of the special isolation room with 16-bed capacity of San Juan Medical Center has just been completed while its COVID-19 special ward with 26-bed capacity is still being built.
In line with efforts to combat the spread of COVID-19, the San Juan LGU has imposed a strict quarantine in areas hardest hit by the virus.
Senior citizens, pregnant women, and minors who are vulnerable to contracting the virus are also prohibited from entering supermarkets and wet markets. But a supermarket staff will get the list of things to be purchased that the customer has prepared and will be the one to collect it from the shelves.
The distribution of relief packs, containing rice, noodles, canned goods and a bottle of alcohol, has also started for the poorest families in the city, the San Juan LGU said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Joan Nano)
MANILA, Philippines – The governments of Manila and San Juan cities have declared that workers in their respective local offices will only render half-day work on Monday, December 23, in line with the holiday season.
“Manila City Mayor Isko Moreno declares half-day work for all local government offices today, December 23,” the Manila Public Information said in an advisory posted on Twitter.
San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora, meanwhile, posted a memorandum on his Twitter account which states his order for city hall employees to work only until 12 noon.
“Work in San Juan City Hall for today will be half-day, until 12nn, in order for our employees to have more time to spend with their families. For everyone’s guidance and reference,” he said.
However, local agencies in San Juan involved in the delivery of disaster response, basic health services, and other vital services were ordered to continue operations.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.