Police nab suspect in the slay of commentator Joaquin Briones

Marje Pelayo   •   July 13, 2018   •   4802

Mugshot of the suspect in the killing of a tabloid commentator Joaquin Briones

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Thursday(July 12) arrested the primary suspect in the murder of tabloid reporter and radio commentator Joaquin Briones in Masbate last year.

The suspect, identified as Antonio Del Rosario alias “Ronnie/Panoy” was nabbed inside a fast food chain in Visayas Avenue in Quezon City through a warrant of arrest issued by Masbate RTC Branch 44.

Del Rosario is believed to be a member of the “Sako” criminal gang, a robbery hold-up and gun-for-hire group. He is the number one most wanted person in the list of criminals of Balud Municipal Police Station in Masbate.

Del Rosario denied any involvement in the crime and insisted that he was in Manila when it happened. He said he is ready to prove his innocence.

“Nagpapasalamat ako kahit papaano ay nahuli nila ako ng maayos para maliwanagan ng korte. Ang mga binibintang nila sa akin, handa kong harapin yun,” Del Rosario said.
The Presidential Task Force on Media Security, meanwhile, was pleased with the arrest of Del Rosario.

“Magkakaroon na ng justice yung pagkamatay ni briones,” said retired PSupt. Richie Duldulao, the Task Force head.

Four gunshot wound hit Briones that caused his death in March 2017. Reports said the crime was due to his fierce criticisms against illegal fishing, underground gambling and illegal drug trade in their province.

The Task Force is closely coordinating with the PNP to solve the cases and serve justice to the slain journalists. – Lea Ylagan / Marje Pelayo

DILG calls on CPP-NPA to turn over members responsible for Masbate mine blast

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 9, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has called on the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) to turn over members involved in the Masbate mine blast.

After the CPP-NPA took responsibility for the incident, DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said the group should be held accountable for the death of football player Kieth Absalon and his cousin Novlen Absalon.

“Now that the CPP-NPA has accepted full responsibility for the senseless murder, it now becomes their duty to turn over the terrorists responsible for the deaths so that justice maybe served to their families and loved ones,” he said in a statement. Año also assured the safety of the suspects while undergoing trial.

“The ends of justice require that those responsible must be held accountable for their crimes against the people under the laws of the Republic of the Philippines,” he said.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) are prepared to file criminal charges against the CPP-NPA members involved in the incident. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

AFP, PNP to file criminal charges vs NPA units in Masbate mine blast

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 9, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines—The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) will file criminal charges against members of the New People’s Army (NPA) involved in the Masbate mine blast.

This was after the Communist Party of the Philippines and the New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) took “full responsibility for the tragedy”.

In a statement, AFP Spokesperson MGen. Edgardo Arevalo reiterated that the use of anti-personnel landmines — which is prohibited in the Philippines under the Mine Ban Treaty — is a war crime.

“We will continue to work vigorously with the PNP in the filing of criminal cases against the murderers and the violators of Republic Act 9851 for the CTG’s leadership who directed the wanton killing of hapless non-combatant civilians using land mines,” he said.

The NPA has planted an improvised explosive device in Brgy. Anas, Masbate City last Sunday (June 6) which killed football player Kieth Absalon, his cousin Nolven Absalon, and injured others.

CPP information officer Marco Valbuena, in a statement said the CPP-NPA expresses their deep remorse over the untimely and unnecessary deaths.

“The entire CPP and NPA take full responsibility for the tragedy. There is no justification for the aggravation this has caused the Absalon family,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Makabayan Bloc condemned the said incident and has called it a violation of international and humanitarian law.

“We condemn the military action by a unit of the NPA in Masbate City that caused their death and injuries to others for violating international humanitarian law. Our commitment to human rights binds us to condemn any and all acts that harm or kill unarmed civilians, non-combatants, and protected persons in situations of armed conflict,” it said. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

PNP Chief orders manhunt ops vs NPA behind Masbate blast

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 7, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Police General Guillermo Eleazar has ordered a manhunt operation against members of the New People’s Army (NPA) involved in the Masbate blast on Sunday (June 6).

“Lives were lost because of the hostile acts of this communist terrorist group. Iyong isa sa mga inosenteng sibilyan na naging biktima ng pagsabog, si Keith Absalon, malayo pa sana ang mararating kung hindi dahil sa mga teroristang NPA,” he said.

(One of the innocent civilians became a victim of the explosion, his name was Keith Absalon. He still has his life ahead of him if it weren’t for these NPA terrorists.)

The PNP Chief strongly condemned the incident after two people were killed while one teen was wounded after a suspected improvised explosive device (IED) exploded in Masbate City on Sunday. He also sent his condolences to the families of the victims and assured they will be given justice.

Eleazar also tasked the local police to enhance visibility in the area to ensure the safety of residents.
“I am directing all police personnel, particularly in NPA-infested areas, to be on high alert and undertake target hardening measures for possible future attacks by these communist terrorists,” he said.
“I am directing the local police to coordinate with the military and launch manhunt operations against the suspects,” he added. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.