Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Police to file charges against suspects of Bansalan ambush by March 24

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, March 16th, 2017

Courtesy: Eagle Kalasag Facebook page

Courtesy: Eagle Kalasag Facebook page

The police have already identified some of the perpetrators of last week’s ambush in Bansalan Davao del Sur that killed 4 police officers.

Davao del Sur Police Chief Senior Superintendent Samuel Gandingan said, a rebel who surrendered to the military provided information on the identities of those involved in the ambush.

Authorities will be filing multiple murders and frustrated murder charges against the suspects by March 24.

Meanwhile, Davao Region police chief, Chief Superintendent Manuel Gaerlan refuted the statement of the New People’s Army that there was an encounter on the day of the incident.

He said investigations reveal that no empty shells belonging to the firearms of the police have been recovered in the crime scene, indicating that they were not able to fire their weapons.

Empty shells recovered near the police mobile matched the shells that were recovered from the position of the assailants.

Also, investigation reveals that PO1 Saro Mangotara who was seated at the back of the patrol car survived the 1st round of gunfire since no traces of his blood was found at the back of the vehicle.

Authorities believe that while he was still alive he was made to kneel down before being shot at close range.

“Mas mataas yung tumira sa kaniya, nag exit dito sa kilikili niya. So malaking posibilidad talaga na buhay siya at pinatay lang siya nung pinalinya na sila doon sa malapit sa mga doors ng patrol cars na yun,” PSSupt. Samuel Gadingan said.

(If he was kneeling the gunman would be higher than him. That would explain why the exit wound was found in his armpit. So there really is a big possibility that he was still alive and was shot to death only when they were lined up near the doors of the patrol cars.)

“Narinig ko naghinto yung putukan tapos narinig ko, ‘huwag kayong magpaputok mag clear muna ako sa baba,’ tapos after noon nagpaputok sila ulit (When they stopped firing I heard somebody say, ‘don’t shoot I will conduct clearing first’ and after that I again heard gunshots), ambush survivor, PO3 Allen Arnado said.

SOCO investigator PO3 Allen Arnado does not have a clear picture of what really happened to his comrades during the incident since he was trying to hide after jumping out of the vehicle.

“I just crawled to save my life. I don’t know what really happened to the others because of the volume of fire. There was a small creek, a canal, it was where I hid,” PO3 Arnaldo recalled.

Aside from Mangotara, SOCO investigator PO3 Jeden Mie Rabor also showed signs of being shot at close range.

“This is plain and simple murder already, napaka (it’s so) inhuman,” said PCSupt. Manuel Gaerlan.

Pursuit operations are underway for perpetrators of the criminal act. – Victor Cosare | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Gabriela stages protest against Duterte’s statement about NPA female members

by UNTV   |   Posted on Thursday, February 15th, 2018

Gabriela and other women advocate groups’ protest

MANILA, Philippines — Responding to the statement of President Rodrigo Duterte, thousands of women from Gabriela and other women advocate groups gathered for a protest in Malate, Manila.

Through poems and songs, they voiced out their dismay at the statement of President Duterte to shoot New People’s Army (NPA) women members in their private parts.

Former Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Secretary Judy Taguiwalo was also present to express her disapproval over the matter.

“Layunin nitong patahimikin ang kalahati ng populasyon at panatilihing mga pu** lang sila, walang silbi, pangkama, pangkusina, sunud-sunuran, kimi, (It aims to silence half of the population and to degrade them as mere genitals, useless, objectified, subservient),” said Taguiwalo.

According to Gabriela Secretary General Joms Salvador, the statement of the president is a clear attempt to trample upon all the women in the country.

“Ayaw ng kababaihan sa mga macho pasistang naghahari-harian. Kaya nating kumilos, magkaisa. Hindi naman tanga at hindi lalong mabibilog ang ulo ng mga kababaihan na alam kung ano ang sinasabi ni Pangulong Duterte,” said Salvador.

(Women don’t like macho-fascists who act like a king. We can unite and take action. We are not idiots and President Duterte definitely cannot fool women who know what he’s saying.)

The group also said that they cannot accept the answer of Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque that the president did not mean it literally.

“Seryoso at literal na galit ang kababaihan sa pagtatanggol niya kay Pangulong Duterte. Hindi na tama na patuloy na magpalusot,” said the Gabriela general-secretary.

(Women are seriously and literally angry at his defense of President Duterte. It’s not right anymore to continue making excuses.)

The women advocates cut the tongue of the effigy of President Duterte.

This, they said, symbolizes their dismay over harsh jokes about women. — Rajel Adora | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , ,

Comelec fund for barangay election preps down to P5-B

by UNTV   |   Posted on Tuesday, February 13th, 2018

Commission on Elections (Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez admitted in the program Get It Straight with Daniel Razon that the agency now has only five billion pesos budget for the upcoming May 2018 village polls.

MANILA, Philippines — Commission on Elections (Comelec) Spokesperson James Jimenez admitted in the program Get It Straight with Daniel Razon that the agency now has only five billion pesos budget for the upcoming May 2018 village polls.

The amount was originally seven billion pesos but the agency already used five billion pesos for the printing of ballots.

But Jimenez assured that the said spending will not go to waste.

“Ang maganda diyan Kuya Daniel, yung karamihan doon sa ginastos namin noon magagamit pa natin ngayon. Ang bulto talaga niyan ay yung balota. So magagamit natin yan,” said Jimenez.

(What’s good about it Kuya Daniel is that most of the things we spent on can still be used today. The bulk of which were the ballots. We can still use those.)

However, the official said the amount paid as salary for their additional personnel remains irrecoverable.

Still, several lawmakers are pushing for the postponement of the barangay election in May but Comelec insists that they will continue to prepare for the polls.

In fact, Jimenez said that the agency is now 85% prepared and will start the printing of 18 million ballots mid-February.

Jimenez argued that another postponement of the election would definitely affect democracy in the country specifically the public’s rights to select the leaders of the land.

On top of the problems considered by the Comelec is vote buying.

When host, Daniel Razon, asked Jimenez why no vote buyer has ever been jailed by the commission, the latter said, “Medyo mahirap mapatunayan ang vote buying (Vote buying is difficult to prove).”

Another issue the agency wants to resolve is the implementation of election gun ban since they still have not received any written notice from the palace regarding the ban.

“Nawi-weaken yung institusyon, nawi-weaken yung process kasi hindi ka sure (It weakens the institution and the process because you’re not sure). Yun ang (That is the) lasting damage,” said Jimenez.

Even the Philippine National Police (PNP) said they are just waiting for the Comelec to issue its guidelines for the gun ban.

“Expected na magkakaroon ng gun ban (Implementation of a gun ban is expected),” said PNP PIO PCSupt. John Bulalacao. — Rey Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , ,

Ex-rebels claim to be sick and tired of NPA leadership’s  unfulfilled promises

by UNTV   |   Posted on Wednesday, February 7th, 2018


MANILA, Philippines — Two hundred fifteen New People’s Army (NPA) surrenderers went to Camp Aguinaldo on Wednesday morning to meet with Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Gen. Rey Leonardo Guerrero before going to Malacañang for their dinner with President Rodrigo Duterte.

The said numbers are just part of 683 rebel returnees who met with the president last Dec.21 at the Eastern Mindanao Command (EastMinCom).

701st Brigade Commander BGen. Reuben James Basiao reported that two of the 215 former rebels were commanding officers of the NPA operating in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley.

Gen. Basiao added that 40 of them are qualified to be part of the AFP.

“Starting 2018 ini-enhance pa ho ang Comprehensive Local Integration Program ng pangulo natin so ang dagdag diyan ay meron pa tayong pabahay. Meron opportunity for employment at may opportunity din na sumali sa pagsusundalo at maging miyembro ng AFP once qualified sila,”  said the brigade commander.

( Translation: Starting 2018, we will enhance the Comprehensive Local Integration Program of the president. We have free housing opportunity, for employment and to be a part of AFP once qualified.)

The former NPA members also surrendered 50 long and short firearms which the government has remunerated with cash.

Fifty thousand pesos each for the long and high powered and P15,000 -P20,000 each for the short firearms.

“Part of our program is financial remuneration for the firearms surrendered for the M16 its 50-K plus. One of the surrenderees here gave information that leads to the recovery of 4 AK47 at 1 M16. Short firearms will range to P15-20k if original,” said the commander.

Some of them spoke of their experiences and the unfulfilled promises of their organization.

“Walang pagkain at tsaka hindi nasustentuhan ang pamilya namin. Yung sinasabing mapag-aral ang mga kapatid namin hanggang kami ay nasa taas, hindi po yun natupad,” said Alias Jaylord, a political instructor.

(I surrendered to the government because of the hardship I experienced. We had no food. They did not support our families as they promised. No rice supply. They promised to send my siblings to school while we were in the organization, but nothing happened.)

“Nahikayat ako dahil sa maganda nilang propaganda, libreng edukasyon. Hindi nila natupad kasi ang ipinahawak nila ay baril hindi ballpen,” said Alias Ronron, an ex-rebel youth leader.

(I was convinced because of their good propaganda, like free education. But they didn’t fulfill it because what they made us hold were guns instead of pens.)

“Abot langit ang pasasalamat ng ina ko kasi matagal na nila akong kinumbinsi na magsurrender. Hindi nila ako mapasurrender noon kasi matigas ang ulo ko kasi ipaglaban ko ang doktrina na nasa utak ko,” said Alias Helen, an ex-rebel leader.

(My mother’s joy was sky-high because they’ve been convincing me to surrender. They couldn’t make me because I was adamant to fight for my doctrine.)

Gen. Basiao also said that the returnees are undergoing 10 days deradicalization program and 30 days livelihood program in a facility called happy home in Davao Oriental for them to develop a renewed perspective on life. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,