PNP urges mall security execs to require quarantine passes, limit number of customers

Robie de Guzman   •   May 19, 2020   •   988

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday urged mall security managers to require quarantine passes from its customers to improve the implementation of social distancing measures and avoid mass gathering in malls.

Police Lieutenant Col. Guillermo Eleazar, chief of Joint Task Force Coronavirus (JTF CV) Shield, said mandating quarantine passes from customers entering malls will follow government’s guidelines in allowing only one person per household to go out and get essential goods and services amid the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).

The PNP met with security management in malls in the National Capital Region earlier in the day to discuss the implementation of health and safety protocols following reports of crowding and lack of physical distancing when the malls partially opened on May 16 in MECQ areas.

Eleazar said the mall security managers were also reminded to strictly limit the number of people allowed to enter the malls as stated in the government’s guidelines.

“So una yung maximum number of customers, dapat yun lang ang papasok lang sa loob… It could be computed base doon sa 1 customer per 2 square meters doon sa mga open areas,” he said.

Mall security managers have also been urged to designate drop off and pick up points to ensure that those entering malls are allowed to avail goods and services.

Metro Manila is under MECQ until May 31.

Under this setup, select businesses and offices will be allowed to resume 50% of operations and workforce, provided that minimum health standards will be implemented.

The guidelines also state that only essential and non-leisure shops will be permitted to open, including hardware stores, office supplies and clothing and accessories stores.

The number of customers allowed inside the stores will also be limited, and elevators will only be allowed to ferry 50% of its total capacity with occupants observing social distancing measures.

Free mall WiFi connection will be disabled and air condition temperature will be regulated to 26 centigrade to discourage loitering and lingering of peopleinside the mall.

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has earlier warned that malls partially opened during the MECQ will be ordered closed if they fail to implement social distancing measures. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Metro Manila, Baguio City, Davao City to stay under GCQ

Marje Pelayo   •   March 1, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Metro Manila remains under general community quarantine (GCQ) for another month starting March 1, as announced by Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.

Aside from National Capital Region (NCR), the following areas will also be under GCQ beginning March 1:

  • Baguio City (Luzon)
  • Davao City (Luzon)
  • Batangas (Luzon)
  • Apayao (Luzon)
  • Kalinga (Luzon)
  • Mt. Province  (Luzon)
  • Tacloban City (Visayas)
  • Iligan City (Mindanao)
  • Lanao del Sur (Mindanao)

Meanwhile, the rest of the country will remain under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) until the end of March.

DOJ wants review of cops’ administrative, criminal liabilities in anti-illegal drug ops

Marje Pelayo   •   February 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) Inter-Agency Review Panel has submitted to the President and furnished a copy to the Philippine National Police (PNP) its preliminary findings in the conduct of anti-illegal drug operations of law enforcement personnel. 

The review covered the 328 cases of the thousands of illegal drug operations conducted since President Duterte assumed office in 2016.

According to DOJ Undersecretary Adrian Sugay, their recommendations include a review of possible administrative and criminal liabilities of erring cops that result in the death of suspects.

The PNP is expected to release its report on the matter in the first week of March.

The DOJ assures that all policemen who are involved in such cases will be held accountable based on the result of their review.

This came after an incident that happened in Quezon City where members of the PNP and agents from the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) engaged in a shootout in an alleged anti-illegal drug operation.

“Any and all possible administrative/criminal liability against those involved in these anti-illegal drug operations where deaths occurred may be pursued depending on any further findings/recommendations,” Usec. Adrian Sugay stressed. (MNP with reports from Dante Amento)

P7.9-M worth of marijuana seized in Cordillera police ops

Robie de Guzman   •   February 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines Thousands of dried marijuana plants and seeds were confiscated in a series of raids conducted by police operatives in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Friday.

In a statement, PNP chief General Debold Sinas said the Cordillera police launched the operations on five clandestine marijuana farms in Kalinga from Thursday until Friday, as part of PNP’s “summer offensive” against cultivation of prohibited plants.

The police raid on the five plantation sites, with a total land area of 2,550 square meters, stemmed from a buy-bust operation conducted by joint elements of Special Operations Unit 2, led by PNP Drug Enforcement Group with the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA)-Isabela, the Isabela PIU, the SAF Kalinga and the 2nd Coy KPMFC on February 18, 2021, that resulted in the arrest of two persons.

The PNP said the operation yielded the arrest of two persons who told authorities about the illegal cultivation of marijuana in the mountainous area of Barangay Loccong, Tinglayan, Kalinga.

This information led to the clearing operations and destruction of marijuana plants in coordination with the PDEA, the PNP said.

Police said a total of 21,600 fully-grown marijuana plants were destroyed in the clandestine farms, including some 30 kilograms of dried marijuana stalks and one kilogram of marijuana seeds, all estimated to be worth P7,945,000 based on standard drug price used by the Dangerous Drugs Board.

“Let me reiterate that police operation against the cultivation, production, and trafficking of Marijuana will continue without let-up because under Philippine laws, Cannabis in the form of plants, products, and its derivatives is still a dangerous drug as defined under Republic Act No. 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002,” Sinas said.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.