PNP tracks associates of nabbed Indonesian terrorist

admin   •   March 26, 2018   •   5044

Mugshot photo of Indonesian terrorist Mushalah Somiba alias Abu Omar

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) believes Indonesian terrorist Omar was not alone in traveling to the Philippines. This is why the police continue to search for his other colleagues.

Omar was arrested by the Police Regional Office Region (PRO) XII in Palimbang Sultan Kudarat last March 10.

He is now under the custody of the Bureau of Immigration in Mindanao.

PRO 12 Director PCSupt. Marcelo Morales said they are now leaving it up to the immigration bureau the fate of alleged suicide bomber Mushalah Somiba alias Abu Omar.

“Yung naarestong terorista ay itinurn over namin sa Bureau of Immigration for violation of immigration law,” said the regional director.

(We already turned over to the Bureau of Immigration the arrested terrorist for violating immigration law.)

Local authorities were able to arrest Omar with the help of intelligence information given by Indonesian authorities.

Police said the suspect even attempted to trigger the explosion of the bomb attached to his body during the arrest.

He was previously detained in Indonesia but was able to go free.

The PNP suspects the alleged suicide bomber had plans to commit a crime in the Philippines.

He was supposed to meet with an active member of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighter (BIFF).

“Convicted na terorista sya sa Indonesia. Nag-serve siya ng one and a half years sa prison for crimes of terrorism sa Indonesia,” said Morales.

(He is a convicted terrorist in Indonesia. He served one a half years in prison for crimes of terrorism in Indonesia.)

Authorities confiscated from Omar an ATM card and more than 250,000 rupiah bills. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

PNP renders immediate help; AFP ready to assist earthquake victims in regions 11, 12

Maris Federez   •   October 17, 2019

Mlang Police Station personnel together with Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) personnel, Mlang local government employees conduct post-earthquake damage inspection of buildings in Cotobato, Mindanao on Thursday, October 17, 2019.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) Police Regional Office (PRO) 11 and 12 have deployed their personnel to the areas affected by the earthquake that hit several towns and cities on Wednesday night (Oct. 17).

They were sent to render assistance to the local government units in maintaining peace and order, and ensure that traffic will run smoothly to avoid delay in the supply of relief goods.

According to PNP spokesperson PBGen. Bernard Banac, police are also helping in the clearing operation in the affected buildings.

Banac added that the situation in the affected areas is still under control and there is still no need to send support units from the national headquarters.

“Ang kapulisan natin ay lumabas kaagad at nagbigay ng police presence para magbigay ng order, para maassure ang public na nandyan ang ating pamahalaan. Lahat ng available manpower. Yung iba ay umalalay sa local government units para mag rescue sa mga nasaktan na biktima,” Banac said.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), meanwhile, said it is ready to deploy its personnel from the Engineering Brigade should the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) requests for it.

“Lahat naman ng ating AFP units within the area are on ready standby and with the close collaboration with the NDRRMC ready to be deployed at short notice naman, so far according to the NDRRMC ay capable pa naman yung LGU’s natin in responding to any requirements,” AFP Public Affairs Office chief, Capt. Jonathan Zata said.

Wednesday night’s tremor left 29 structures in Regions 11 and 12 with significant damage.

These malls include SM, Veranza Mall and Gaisano Mall in General Santos City, and the KCC Mall in Koronadal City.

Other structures that sustained damage were:

  • the Municipal Hall of Magsaysay in Davao Del Sur
  • the Sangguniang Bayan Building in M’Lang, Cotabato
  • the Roldan Hospital in M’Lang, Cotabato
  • the Fire Station in Makilala, Cotabato
  • and the Municipal Hospital in Carmen, Cotabato

(with details from Lea Ylagan) /mbmf

PNP firearms head De Leon is new PRO-7 chief

Robie de Guzman   •   October 16, 2019

Police Brigadier General Valeriano de Leon

MANILA, Philippines – Police Brigadier General Valeriano de Leon is the new chief of Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7), the Philippine National Police (PNP) said.

PNP spokesperson Bernard Banac said De Leon will formally assume the post on Thursday, Oct. 17.

A turnover ceremony, to be witnessed by PNP Officer-in-charge Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa, will be held in Cebu City.

De Leon will replace Brigadier General Debold Sinas who has been designated as the new director of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO).

He is the current head of the PNP Firearms Explosives Office (FEO) and a member of the Philippine Military Academy Makatao Class of 1989.

PNP-FEO’s deputy commander Col. Westrimundo Obinque will take over De Leon’s post until the PNP has appointed the unit’s next chief. – RRD (with details from Lea Ylagan)

Philippine Army to recruit more soldiers this year

Robie de Guzman   •   October 16, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Army is eyeing to recruit more soldiers this year amid the intensified campaign of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to end local armed conflict and terrorism.

The Philippine Army said it will recruit additional members to augment troops and help meet the government’s deadline to end terrorism and expand its nation-building efforts.

President Rodrigo Duterte earlier ordered the military to eradicate terrorism and insurgency in the country before his term ends in 2022.

The recruitment also aims to further strengthen the Army force against internal and external threats while promoting nationalism among the Filipinos.

“Anyone who wants to serve our people is welcome to join as long as the Philippine Army’s qualifications are met. Qualified applicants will receive the same benefits during training and when they become part of the regular force,” Army Spokesperson Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala said in a statement.

The minimum requirement for a candidate soldier is that he or she must be 18 to 30 years old, a natural-born Filipino citizen, single, without a child, and is 5 feet to 6 feet and 4 inches tall.

An aspiring applicant must also pass the Armed Forces of the Philippines Service Aptitude Test, Physical and Medical Examinations, and Physical Fitness Test.

Interested applicants may visit the Army recruitment centers in Cagayan de Oro City, Cebu City, and Taguig City.

Applicants may also visit the nearest Army base in their localities for inquiries.

Zagala said the newly opened slots are allotted for both aspiring officers and enlisted personnel. The number of additional personnel to be recruited is on top of the 5,300 quota announced this year.

“We call on the best and the brightest to take this opportunity to be part of our nation-building efforts by serving the people and securing the land,” added Zagala.

Visit this link for more information on Army Recruitment centers.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.