Security guards in themed costumes
QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Security guards are no longer allowed to don themed costumes on duty.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) Supervisory Office on Security and Investigation Agency (SOSIA) on Wednesday (November 7) reminded security agencies that themed costumes will no longer be allowed to security guards on duty.
Themed costumes are common in commercial establishments during holidays.
Last Sunday (November 4) members of the PNP SOSIA accosted the administrator of a mall in Quezon City for letting their security personnel wear themed costumes.
According to PNP-SOSIA Enforcement Management Division OIC PSupt. Jaime Santos, such a practice is considered a security risk and only leads to confusion especially in times of emergency that is why it is strictly prohibited.
“Maaari kasing gayahin ito or magsuot ng ganito ang mga sindikato o grupo na gumawa ng krimen doon sa loob ng mall kaya malaking factor na di dapat sila magsuot ng ganyan dahil nangyari na iyan before sa isang mall na pinasok ng martilyo gang,” Santos said.
The security agency of security guards accosted by the PNP was ordered to pay P400,000. Authorities also confiscated the service firearms of their security guards.
“Kapag naging recidivist sila o habitual at di nila pinakikinggan ang aming sanction sa kanila ang mangyayari nya ay mag oorder ang chief SOSIA na i-tag, na i-suspend na ang kanilang license pati iyong mismong operator,” warned Santos.
Meanwhile, the PNP also noted that security measures in malls will be stricter this coming holiday season due to the expected influx of mall goers, the time when lawless elements are in their active operations.
“Muli ang aming paalala kapag may insidente at pangyayari sa mga business establishments, mga malls kaagad yung mga bantay sa entrances ay tumawag agad ng kanilang response team at wag nila iiwanan ang entrance dahil ang seguridad, maaaring diversionary tactics lamang ito … at tuloy tuloy na ang pasok ng mga magnanakaw,” advised PSSupt. Bernard Banac, SOSIA Assistant Chief.
The PNP is set to deploy patrol units at the outside vicinity of malls for quick response in case any untoward incidents happen inside the establishments. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
Father-and-daughter local execs ambushed in La Union, not in drugs watch list – PNP
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) revealed on Thursday (November 15) that Vice Mayor Alfred Concepcion and his daughter Mayor Aleli Concepcion were not on the police drug watch list.
The father and daughter tandem were ambushed in Balaoan, La Union on Tuesday (November 14).
According to PNP Chief Oscar Albayalde, there was no previous report of the two local executive’s involvement in illegal drugs trade.
“Wala naman so far. I just don’t know in the region,” Albayalde said.
So far, there are no witnesses surfacing to testify on the case while the PNP Region 1 police are doing the investigation.
“The more important thing here is the witness who can give full account or give suspects or persons of interest dito sa mga incidents na ganyan. Napakaimportante kasi na kapag may nakakita, kailangan pong pumunta sa pulisya para makunan ng statement at ma-solve ang crime,” the PNP Chief explained.
Albayalde noted that La Union is considered as among the election hot spots due to intense political rivalry. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
PNP to probe death of lawyer who assisted in Sagay farmers’ slay case
Atty. Benjamin Tarug Ramos Jr. | Image courtesy to Atty. Edre Olalia via Facebook
QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) condemns the killing of Atty. Benjamin Tarug Ramos Jr.
Ramos, a founding member of the National Union of People’s Lawyers, was among those who first assisted in the case of slain nine sugarcane farmers in Sagay city.
Ramos was gunned down in Kabankalan City, Negros Occidental on the evening of Tuesday (November 6) by unidentified perpetrators.
Police Regional Office 6 Director, PCSupt. John Bulalacao said the lawyer sustained three gunshot wounds on his chest and died on his way to the hospital.
“The victim sustained 3 gunshot wounds on his chest and was brought to Holy Mother Mercy Hospital in Kabankalan City but was pronounced dead on arrival by the attending physician,” he said.
An investigation on the murder of Ramos is underway. – UNTV News and Rescue
Duterte to reward policemen for every neutralized ‘narco-cop’
FILE PHOTO: President Rodrigo Duterte. | PCOO/Albert Alcain
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday (November 6) commended members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) who were able to neutralize an alleged “ninja-cop” identified as Supt. Santiago Ylanan Rapiz.
Rapiz was a logistics officer in Zamboanga Del Norte Provincial Police. He resisted arrest and was killed when he attempted to escape in a buy-bust operation in Dipolog City on Monday night.
Rapiz was among the personalities in President Duterte’s drug watchlist for being a protector of the slain drug lord Melvin Odicta.
President Duterte said he will reward those who were able to neutralize Rapiz.
Likewise, the President said he is willing to reward any policeman who will able to neutralize the “bosses” operating illegal drugs trade in the country.
“Tama iyon. I am going to reward that policeman, any policeman who will kill a superior because the superior is into drugs, I will give you a price. A trip to Hong Kong or (perhaps) you want to convert it into money,” the Chief Executive said.
The President clarified, however, that he is not withdrawing the P3M reward to whosoever can arrest or neutralize a “ninja-cop” involved in illegal drugs.
President Duterte reiterated his stand that illegal drugs will do no good to the country as it will only corrupt government officials and even policemen.
He considers the illegal drug menace as a national security issue and so he insists his power to call the military in order to extend help to the national police in resolving the matter.
“This is already a national conflagration. the police are there and everybody else pati kayong mga mayor, bantay kayo and also the barangay captains. I will get to you, one way or the other maabutan ko talaga kayo. pag magabot tayo sorry na lang,” the President warned. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)