PNP returns to normal operations as election period ends
Maris Federez • June 13, 2019 • 946
The Philippine National Police has lowered its alert status as the election period comes to an end.
PNP spokesperson PCol. Bernard Banac said only a few areas that have reports of the presence of threat groups such as the Abu Sayyaf, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, and communist groups, are still on full alert.
These include Police Regional Office 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
Banac, however, stressed that these areas are not under security threat.
“Wala namang security threat sa naturang mga lugar, nakafull alert pa din ang mga lugar na yun dahil martial law,” Banac said.
Banac added the past election period has been generally peaceful and validated election-related incidents had been low as compared with the 2016 Presidential Elections. (with reports from Lea Ylagan) /mbmf
The Philippine National Police-Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (PNP-BARMM) office is looking into the possibility that the group of Abu Sayyaf leader Hatib Hajan Sawadjaan could be the one behind the series of bombings in Sitio Tibongbong, Barangay Igasan in Patikul, Sulu on Tuesday (Aug. 13).
PRO-BARMM director PBGen. Marni Marcos said the bombs used in the bombing at the Jolo Cathedral, at a military camp in Sulu and in Patikul bear the same signature.
Based on the shredded pipe gathered at the bomb site, same type of pipes were used as bomb cylinder.
“Sino ba yung nagpe-perpetrate ng mga ganyang terrorist act in the area? Iisa lang naman yung grupong binabantayan natin [Who else would perpetrate such terrorist acts in the area? There’s only one group that we are monitoring],” said Marcos.
Nevertheless, the police are still conducting a thorough investigation to ascertain whether some groups are copying Sawadjaan’s style.
Gen. Marcos will also meet the local chief executives in Sulu to ask them to encourage their constituents to cooperate with the authorities in their investigation on the said series of bombings.
He added that they will also talk with the Ulama in the area.
“Yung concern natin sa terrorism yung landscape niyan ay nag iba na. Meron na tayong Filipino suicide bomber. And worst is, mga bata o young people yung nire-recruit (What we are concerned about is that the terrorism landscape has already changed. We now have Filipino suicide bombers. And worst is, they are recruiting the young people),” Marcos said.
“We should involve everybody. Hindi lang military o law enforcement unit ngayon ang inaano natin because it involves yung education, ano yung teaching at ano ba talaga yung tamang ituturo natin sa mga bata [We are not just focusing on military or law enforcement because it also involves education. What are the things that we should really teach the children],” he added.
Meanwhile, PNP chief PGen. Oscar Albayalde has admitted that there is a problem with security in the area and that they need the help and cooperation of the community.
“We have to be alert always. Very important po ang participation ng community dito. Napaka importante ng impormasyon na ibibigay ng community dito para maubos at matigil na ang insidente na ito sa ating bayan [The community’s participation is very important. The information that the community will provide us is very important in curbing or stopping these incidents in our country],” the PNP chief said.
A member of the 43rd K9 Platoon of the Philippine Army was among the injured in Tuesday’s Patikul bombing. (with details from Lea Ylagan) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte met with Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF)founding chairman Nur Misuari at the Malacañan Palace on Tuesday night (July 9).
In photos released to media, Duterte was seen giving a warm welcome to Misuari while surrounded by members of the Cabinet and other officials.
Among those seen in photos were Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol, Presidential Peace Adviser Carlito Galvez and Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea.
The Palace has yet to release any information on what was discussed during their meeting.
Misuari was the former governor of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, which is now called the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao following the signing of a peace agreement between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front.
Senator Ronald dela Rosa has issued a public apology for his “shit happens” remark last week.
The senator’s statement stemmed from the death of a three-year-old girl during an anti-illegal drugs operation of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Rodriguez, Rizal last June 29.
Dela Rosa admitted using wrong choice of words in detailing the said incident.
“Klaruhin ko na lang, hindi maganda ang dating doon sa parents ng bata na namatay. I would like to apologize to the family yung aking wrong use of term. Dapat ang sinabi ko doon instead na ‘shit happens’, dapat unfortunate [I would like to clear, it didn’t sit well with the parents of the dead child. I would like to apologize to the family for my wrong use of term. I shouldn’t have said “shit happens” but, rather, unfortunate],” Dela Rosa said.
The newbie senator promised to be very careful with his choice of words now that he is already a lawmaker. (with details from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.