PNP renders immediate help; AFP ready to assist earthquake victims in regions 11, 12
Maris Federez • October 17, 2019 • 558
The Philippine National Police (PNP) Police Regional Office (PRO) 11 and 12 have deployed their personnel to the areas affected by the earthquake that hit several towns and cities on Wednesday night (Oct. 17).
They were sent to render assistance to the local government units in maintaining peace and order, and ensure that traffic will run smoothly to avoid delay in the supply of relief goods.
According to PNP spokesperson PBGen. Bernard Banac, police are also helping in the clearing operation in the affected buildings.
Banac added that the situation in the affected areas is still under control and there is still no need to send support units from the national headquarters.
“Ang kapulisan natin ay lumabas kaagad at nagbigay ng police presence para magbigay ng order, para maassure ang public na nandyan ang ating pamahalaan. Lahat ng available manpower. Yung iba ay umalalay sa local government units para mag rescue sa mga nasaktan na biktima,” Banac said.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), meanwhile, said it is ready to deploy its personnel from the Engineering Brigade should the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) requests for it.
“Lahat naman ng ating AFP units within the area are on ready standby and with the close collaboration with the NDRRMC ready to be deployed at short notice naman, so far according to the NDRRMC ay capable pa naman yung LGU’s natin in responding to any requirements,” AFP Public Affairs Office chief, Capt. Jonathan Zata said.
Wednesday night’s tremor left 29 structures in Regions 11 and 12 with significant damage.
These malls include SM, Veranza Mall and Gaisano Mall in General Santos City, and the KCC Mall in Koronadal City.
Other structures that sustained damage were:
the Municipal Hall of Magsaysay in Davao Del Sur
the Sangguniang Bayan Building in M’Lang, Cotabato
MANILA, Philippines – Nagbabala ang Philippine National Police (PNP) na huhulihin ang mga lumalabag sa mga lokal na ordinansa kasabay ng pagpapaigting ng anti-criminality campaign nito sa gitna ng coronavirus pandemic.
Sinabi ni PNP chief Police General Archie Gamboa na bukod sa pagsawata sa krimen, babantayan rin nila ang mga sumusuway sa mga ordinansa ng bawat lungsod gaya ng curfew hours, pagbabawal sa paninigarilyo, at pag-iinuman sa labas ng bahay, at paglabas ng walang pang-itaas na damit.
Maging ang mga lumalabag sa minimum health protocols gaya ng hindi pagsusuot ng face mask at kawalan ng physical distancing ay huhulihin din.
“Yes we will apprehend and file appropriate case,” ani Gamboa.
Paliwanag ng hepe ng pambansang pulisya, layunin nito na mabawasan ang lalo pang pagkalat ng novel coronavirus disease sa gitna na rin ng dumaraming bilang ng kaso nito sa bansa.
“This is a national concern na dapat tulong-tulong tayo. So, sana huwag na pasaway para wala na kami hulihin,” sabi ni Gamboa.
Umaasa ang PNP chief na paiiralin ng publiko ang disiplina at susundin ang mga ipinatutupad na batas at ordinansa sa bansa sa gitna ng kinakaharap na krisis sa kalusugan. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines – The nine police officers involved in the killing of four military men in Jolo, Sulu in June will face the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) this week, Philippine National Police chief General Archie Gamboa said Monday.
Gamboa said the policemen will meet with the NBI for three days starting Monday for the investigation into the circumstances that led to the death of the soldiers.
The PNP chief also confirmed reports that only four out of nine cops had fired their guns during the incident that took place on June 29.
The NBI Forensic for Investigation Services earlier said that four of the nine policemen tagged in the killing tested positive for gunpowder nitrates following paraffin tests.
“They are also hoping na matapos din agad ang investigation kasi sabi nila kung walang kasalanan yung iba. Yung iba maiiwan pero yung walang kasalanan sana makabalik na sila sa kanila. But, of course, natural ito dahil may mga pamilya din sila doon sa Jolo na naiwan,” Gamboa said.
Meanwhile, Gamboa said that the Board of Inquiry, whose members consist of police and military officers, is still reviewing the tactics and protocols of the PNP and Armed Forces of the Philippines to see if these need to be improved and to prevent the incident from happening again.
“Of course ang magiging adjustment kung coordination ang problema is not only with the PNP. This will be a joint evaluation, joint resolution on how to go about yung coordination… Local coordination really is the secret para hindi na magkaroon ng mga insidente kagaya ng Jolo,” he said,
Last June 29, four soldiers were killed after they were accosted by local police officers.
The Philippine Army said the four men, who were wearing civilian clothes, were on an official mission when they were spotted by police officers on patrol.
When questioned by cops, the four men allegedly introduced themselves as members of the AFP. They were then asked to proceed to the Jolo Municipal Police Station for verification.
But initial police report said the soldiers attempted to escape prompting police to give chase. When the men got off their vehicle, they allegedly pointed their firearms at the police, which prompted the cops to fire at them, resulting in their death.
The NBI earlier said its investigation is ongoing and is already in possession of video footage of the incident. It has also gathered testimonies from witnesses, including two soldiers who served as sweepers when the shooting incident took place.
The caps tagged in the killing have since been placed under restrictive custody following the incident. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.