Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

PNP relaunches operation vs illegal drugs with the creation of P-DEG

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, March 7th, 2017

PHILIPPINES — The Philippine National Police (PNP) will resume conducting operations against illegal drugs after the creation of the PNP Drug Enforcement Agency (P-DEG) which replaces the now defunct Anti-Illegal Drugs Group (AIDG).

The new police unit applies not only on the national level, but also on the regional, provincial and municipal levels.

Knocking on doors of suspected drug personalities under the Project Tokhang of the Oplan Double Barrel Alpha Reloaded will also resume under the new campaign.

However, PNP Chief PDG Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa said the chief of police, as well as territorial heads like barangay chairmen and religious leaders will participate during the door-to-door knockings.

He added that this would help avoid violence during Oplan Tokhang operations.

“Para lalabas na mas credible itong ating kampanya, makikiusap tayo sa ating kaparian ba tulungan tayo (To make our campaign more credible, we will be asking priests to help us,” said PNP Chief Dela Rosa.

“Ikaw ba naman na drug personality pag kinatok ang bahay mo at pagsilip mo ay andoon ang cop, kapitan at pari siguro lalambot ang puso mo na magbago ka na o magpa rehab ka,” he added.

(If you were the drug personality, somebody knocks on your door and you see a cop, a barangay chief and a priest, it will probably move you to consider turning over a new leaf and going to rehab.)

The police chief also assures that they have thoroughly chosen those who will be part of P-DEG, which will be led by PSSupt. Graciano Mijares, the former deputy regional director for administration of Central Luzon.

“He’s from Mindanao. He’s focused on anti-organized crime. So he’s a veteran in the war against kidnappers and druglords in Mindanao. He had been shot several times, so he’s no longer afraid to die,” said Dela Rosa.

With the re-launch of the PNP’s fight against illegal drugs, the agency is optimistic about succeeding in the new anti-drug operation as there are now available rehabilitation centers for drug surrenderers.

Local government units also vow to help surrenders with non-serious conditions by having them undergo various activities. While those with serious drug addiction will be confined in a drug rehabilitation center in Nueva Ecija.

“This time after 8 months almost all local units have already established their rehab programs that will cater those who are willing to undergo rehab. Those with serious drug addiction we can refer them to Nueva Ecija. In other places where the LGU is weak, the PNP will shoulder the said program,” explained the PNP Chief.

In the 1.2 million recorded drug users across the country within 8 months, 90% of them do not have serious drug addiction, and thus, can be treated through community-based rehabilitation programs. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

PNP denies death of QC cop linked to Dengvaxia

by UNTV   |   Posted on Friday, March 23rd, 2018

PNP Health Service acting director PSSupt. Ma. Antonietta Langcauon answers question from the media regarding the death of a police allegedly vaccinated with Dengvaxia

MANILA, Philippines —According to the Philippine National Police (PNP), the cop who reportedly died of Dengvaxia did not receive the controversial dengue vaccine.

PNP Health Service acting director PSSupt. Ma. Antonietta Langcauon said that SP02 Vicente Arugay of the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) Station 6 was not on the list of Dengvaxia vaccinees.

“We have the lists in Camp Karingal. His name is not there,” said the police officer.

She noted that Arugay was already 50 years old. He is not included in the 9 to 45 years old required age to receive Dengvaxia vaccine.

The doctors of the PNP  said the cause of Arugay’s death was leptospirosis based on the symptoms he showed which include fever, a decrease in sodium and jaundice, which was why he could not talk.

He also suffered bleeding.

“Di tayo pwede mga imbento o gumawa ng istorya to cover up. Wala po kami mapapala dyan,” said the PNP chief Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa.

(We’re not allowed to invent or create a story to cover up. We will not benefit from it.)

Of the 1,548 individuals injected with Dengvaxia inside Camp Crame, none are staying at the PNP General Hospital since March 16.

A utility worker of the PNP GH reportedly died due to Dengvaxia vaccine but the PNP Health Service said the worker died of pneumonia. — Leslie Longboen | UNTV News and Rescue 


Tags: , ,

CIDG to submit new evidence vs. Espinosa, et al.

by UNTV   |   Posted on Thursday, March 22nd, 2018

FILE IMAGE: Kerwin Espinosa on a Senate hearing

MANILA, Philippines —  Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre has announced that the decision to dismiss the drug charges against big time drug lords Kerwin Espinosa, Peter Lim and others is void.

For this reason, the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) is set to submit additional evidence against the said drug personalities.

CIDG legal division chief PSupt. Joseph Orsos said that although they believe they have a strong case, they will still submit the transcript of the statement of Espinosa during a Senate inquiry where he admitted being a drug dealer and his extrajudicial confession to the PNP-Anti-Illegal Drugs Group (AIDG).

“As far as we are concerned, we have already shown that what is stated there is uncontested,” said Orsos.

The extrajudicial confession of Kerwin to the AIDG states that he was distributing illegal drugs while in detention through his men.

He also said he was introduced to other drug lords like Peter Co, Tony Co, and Peter Lim while in detention.

In line with this, the CIDG is confident that the police unit can win against the said drug lords.

“If you will read the resolution, if you scrutinize it, it’s really reversible,” said the legal chief.

However, Orsos said the fiscal have to explain why they have a contradictory decision regarding the case against Sen. De Lima. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

PNP’s subpoena power may pose threat – Makabayan bloc

by UNTV   |   Posted on Tuesday, March 13th, 2018

(L-R) ACT Teachers party-list Representative Antonio Tinio and PNP Chief Police Director General Ronald Dela Rosa

MANILA, Philippines — The Makabayan bloc of the lower house of Congress believes the number of human rights violations in the country may rise due to the subpoena powers given to the Philippine National Police.

“Our primary concern is that it will result into the abuse of human rights and civil liberties of the people,” ACTS Teachers Party List Representative Antonio Tinio said.

A group of lawyers, the National Union of People’s Lawyer (NUPL), shares the same view on the matter.

“It will open the opportunity to unlawful and illegal search, arrest and seizure of properties,” said NUPL president, Atty. Edre Olalia.

Tinio also raised alarm that the government might also soon give similar powers to the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

The Makabayan bloc said it is open to question the new law, but noted it will study first its possible violations of the Constitution.

On the other hand, PNP Chief Police Director General Ronald dela Rosa vowed that the police will not abuse the use of such powers.

He added that the subpoena powers will greatly help the PNP in investigating cases as it will speed up the release of required documents or persons.

PNP’s Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) legal division chief PSupt. Joseph Orsos, initially revealed that anyone who ignores the subpoena of the PNP can be detained.

“It can be considered as contempt of higher court, meaning RTC (Regional Trial Court). It’s not only a contemptuous act against the MTC (Municipal/Metropolitan Trial Court), meaning you can be incarcerated for up to 30 days,” said Orsos. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , ,