PNP puts top officials under 3-month probation after major reshuffle

Robie de Guzman   •   October 21, 2019   •   263

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) has put on hold promotions as it placed all its key officials under three-month probation starting Monday, PNP officer-in-charge Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa announced.

“Beginning today, all key positions are under probation for three months and all promotions will be on hold. I will make sure the ax will fall under where it should if these leaders will not deliver results,” Gamboa said in a media interview.

Gamboa made the announcement after a major reshuffle that moved more than 20 key officials, with General Oscar Albayalde’s move of stepping down as PNP chief and going on a non-duty status following accusations that he protected Pampanga policemen tagged in the ‘ninja cops’ issue.

The officials who were reassigned to new posts include former Criminal Investigation and Detection Group chief Major General Amador Corpuz, who was designated as director of Human Resource and Doctrine Development; Brigadier General Dionardo Carlos as acting director of the Highway Patrol Group; former Manila Police District director Brigadier General Vincente Danao Jr. as Calabarzon police chief; and Brigadier general Rhodel Sermonia as deputy director of Directorate for Police Community Relations.

The PNP OIC said the revamp was implemented upon the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte during a Command Conference on Oct. 15 which tackled the controversy on ‘ninja cops’ and other issues facing the police force.

Gamboa said that after the probation period, another reshuffle may be implemented after its officials are re-evaluated in January.

“So, I’m also giving a chance to other officers to perform. That’s why, mag-reshuffle tayo, to have a fresh idea, fresh start, and then, we’ll see what you will do in the next three months,” he said.

Malacañang said the president agreed with the recommendation to revamp PNP key officials during the command conference last week.

“Any revamp will always be good for any organization after a while because mahirap yung magkakaroon ng ugat sa mga posisyon ninyo. Tama lang yun,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Harlene Delgado)

PNP: Mission ends only until last foreign delegate leaves Phl

Aileen Cerrudo   •   December 12, 2019

The Philippine National Police (PNP) said security for the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games will remain until the last foreign delegate has left the country.

In a statement on Wednesday (December 11), PNP Officer-in-Charge Pol. Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa said he has ordered the PNP security contingent to continue police visibility and provide assistance to SEA Games delegates.

“This mission ends only until after the last foreign delegate has left the country,” Gamboa said.—AAC

TAGS   , ,

Tisoy death toll now at 13

Maris Federez   •   December 4, 2019

A handout photo made available by Greenpeace-Philippines shows villagers working among damaged houses in the aftermath of Typhoon Kammuri in Legazpi city, Albay Province, Philippines, 03 December 2019. EPA-EFE/BASILIO SEPE

MANILA, Philippines – The death toll on the onslaught of Typhoon Tisoy (International Name: Kammuri) has now reached 13.

According to the Philippine National Police (PNP) Region 5 data, five were confirmed dead in the Bicol region, with one person recorded injured.

The Mimaropa Public Information Office, on the other hand, reported four fatalities in Oriental Mindoro and one in the province of Marinduque.

Calabarzon recorded two deaths in Quezon Province, while Leyte reported one fatality in Ormoc City.

So far, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has not issued an official death toll on Tisoy’s aftermath.

NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal said they are still verifying the reported fatalities.

The families of deceased victims will be given P20,000 financial aid, while those who were injured by the typhoon will be handed out P10,000.

The agency is still conducting damage assessment in infrastructure and agriculture.

“Yung assessment po sa Bicol at sa Samar provinces na dinaanan ng bagyo, ongoing. At nakikita po natin na ‘yung mga reports na nagkaroon ng mga pagbaha doon sa area, ito po’y unti-unting pinapadala sa atin ng mga kasamahan natin from the ground,” Timbal said.

The latest data from the NDRRMC said more than 100,000 families or over 400,000 individuals in Regions 3, 5, 8, NCR and Mimaropa were evacuated from their homes.

The NDRRMC has assured that relief goods are available and ready to be distributed in case affected provinces, even those under a state of calamity, will signify their need for additional supplies. (with inputs from Harlene Delgado) /mbmf

DILG tells PNP to arrest vandals

Robie de Guzman   •   December 4, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Interior Secretary Eduardo Año directed the Philippine National Police (PNP) to go after all the vandals in the country for their “utter disregard of the law and defacement of government properties.”

Año issued the order following the arrest of four members of a left-leaning art group, Panday Sining, for vandalizing places in the city of Manila.

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) chief called the arrest of the four activists “just and lawful.”

“Nagsusumikap ang gobyerno na magkaroon ng kaayusan at kalinisan pero binababoy nila. They have been repeatedly warned and now they will face the consequences of their actions,” he said in a statement.

In November, Manila City mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso warned the group that he would make them wipe their spray-painted messages with their tongue if he happens to catch them committing vandalism.

The group earned Mayor Isko’s ire after they spray-painted messages on the newly-painted walls of Lagusnilad underpass and UN Avenue.

But instead of heeding the government’s warning, Año pointed out that the group defied authorities and went on with their protest in different places in Manila.

The DILG chief said members of the group spray-painted messages on a telecom box near the Manila City hall, the walls of Araullo High School in Manila, and a concrete post of LRT-2 in Recto Avenue, among others.

“Imbes na tumigil, tuloy pa rin sila sa pagsasalaula nila sa kapaligiran. Hindi na sila nakikinig sa awtoridad. Sobra na. Tama na. Tama lang na maturuan sila ng leksyon para magtanda,” he said.

On Nov. 30, Saturday, four members of Panday Sining, namely, Joven Laura, Jeanne Vaughn Quijano, Mikhail Collado, and another minor, were arrested by the police after they were caught painting on the walls of LRT-2 during protest rallies marking Bonifacio Day.

Vandalism is a prohibited act in the City of Manila under Ordinance No. 7971 which imposes penalties on any person who defaces public and private property.

Panday Sining has called for the release of their members, and accused the police of manhandling their activists.

Año stressed that that while the government “respects their groups’ freedom of expression, such freedom is bounded by rules and regulations in order to ensure law and order.”

“Huwag ninyo namang gawing malaking drawing board o canvas ang Metro Manila. Maraming paraan para ipahayag ang inyong saloobin at hindi kasama doon ang walang habas ninyong pagpipinta sa mga pader ng Maynila,” he said.

The DILG chief also lamented that the arrested Panday Sining members are young people who are supposed to be focusing their time studying and making their parents proud.

“Huwag kayong magpaloko sa mga organisasyong makakaliwa at huwag ninyong sirain ang kinabukasan ninyo sa mga walang kuwentang gawain. Magsipagtapos kayo sa pag-aaral ninyo at tumulong kayo sa pamilya at bansa,”he said.

DILG spokesperson and Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya also said that the public is likewise “outraged” by the group’s recent actions as evidenced by negative comments on social media and an online petition initiated by a non-governmental group.

“Even the people are fed up with your antics. Mag-isip-isip na kayo at magbago na habang bata pa kayo. Disiplina muna bago po tayo magreklamo at magprotesta. Ang pagbabago’y nagsisimula sa sarili,”he said.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.