Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

PNP names mastermind in Gen. Tinio, NE Mayor Ferdinand Bote’s slay

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, July 16th, 2018

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) has named the mastermind in the assassination of General Tinio, Nueva Ecija Mayor Ferdinand Bote.

According to Police Region 3 Director PCSupt. Amador Corpus, it was Christian Saquilabon, owner of Forthright Construction, who was behind the crime; adding that a conflict over a P69M-worth of contract for the construction of Minalungao Tourism Area was the motive of the killing.

“The motive of the incident is associated with projects and business contracts. Away sa negosyo, away po sa kontrata at projects,” said Corpus.

Corpus said the contract was awarded by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to Forthright Construction. However, the Mayor allegedly was pressuring the construction firm given that it was Mayor Bote who requested DPWH to develop the road way to Minalungao. PNP is still investigating if someone of higher authority than Saquilabon ordered the assassination. Saquilabon is a member of the religious group Iglesia ni Cristo (INC).

“That is part of our investigation. We don’t want to divulge that dahil ongoing pa. Ang ginagawa natin once na file ang kaso, we will be filing a hold departure order para hindi siya makalabas ng bansa,” Corpus said.

Meanwhile, according to PNP-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) Police Director Roel Obusan, authorities now identified eight individuals involved in the crime, three of them are now under the custody of the PNP.

Two of them were Florencio Suarez and Robert Gumatay who were arrested last week at a checkpoint in Camarines Sur while the third suspect was Architect Arnold Gamboa, the driver of the suspects’ getaway vehicle, who voluntarily surrendered to authorities. The black Toyota Avanza was seen entering the chapel gate of INC after the shooting.

“Sa investigation namin, si Arnold Gamboa, si architect ay tagaroon malapit lang sa kapilya ng Iglesia. Second, karamihan dito na nakikita ninyo ay members ng Iglesia ni Cristo that’s why the regional director of PRO3 ay in close coordination with the administration of Iglesia ni Cristo,” said Obusan.

Though the investigation is still underway, the PNP considered the case as solved. – Lea Ylagan / Marje Pelayo

 

 

Tags: , , ,

PNP to charge blogger Drew Olivar over bomb joke

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, September 24th, 2018

Blogger Drew Olivar during his interview with UNTV’s Get it Straight with Daniel Razon

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) is serious over filing charges against blogger Drew Olivar for his post that insinuated threats of a bomb explosion.

According to PNP Chief PDG Oscar Albayalde, Olivar will face charges in violation of Presidential Decree 1727 or malicious dissemination of false information of any threat concerning bombs, explosives or any similar device.

This, Albayalde said, even after Olivar expressed remorse on the matter.

“Si Drew Olivar has learned his lesson and he will be charged for violation of PD 1727 regarding bomb jokes. Hindi lamang siya maaaresto but he will be formally charged in court,” said Albayalde.

In his post on Friday, September 21,  Olivar warned of an alleged bomb explosion that might happen in EDSA coinciding with the commemoration of the declaration of martial law under the Marcos regime.

Last Saturday, Olivar appeared before PNP officials to apologize, saying his post was intended for his friends and family.

According to Section 1of the PD 1727, “Any person who, by word of mouth or through the use of the mail, telephone, telegraph, printed materials and other instrument or means of communication, willfully makes any threat or maliciously conveys, communicates, transmits, imparts, passes on, or otherwise disseminates false information, knowing the same to be false, concerning an attempt or alleged attempt being made to kill, injure, or intimidate any individual or unlawfully to damage or destroy any building, vehicle, or other real or personal property, by means of explosives, incendiary devices, and other destructive forces of similar nature or characteristics, shall upon conviction be punished with imprisonment of not more than five (5) years, or a fine or not more than forty thousand pesos (P40,000.00) or both at the discretion of the court having jurisdiction over the offense herein defined and penalized.” – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Tags: ,

‘Ompong’ death toll climbs to 81 – PNP

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, September 19th, 2018

Aerial view of the housing community in Baggao, Cagayan, where Typhoon Ompong, internationally known as Super Typhoon Mangkhut made its first landfall

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The number of deaths in the wake of Typhoon Ompong has now risen to 81, based on the latest count from the Philippine National Police (PNP).

Records at the PNP National Operations Center in Camp Crame revealed that as of Wednesday morning (September 19), additional six deaths were recorded in the landslide area in Barangay Ucab in Itogon, Benguet, bringing the tally to 66 in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).

This brings the partial total count as follows:

CAR: 66

Cagayan Valley (Region 2): 10

Central Luzon (Region 3): 3

NCR: 2

Ilocos (Region 1): 1

Meanwhile, the number of missing persons is now at 70 with the following breakdown:

CAR: 66

NCR:2

Ilocos Region: 2

— UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: ,

Death toll rises to 74 in the wake of Typhoon Ompong

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Tuesday, September 18th, 2018

Aerial view of the housing community in Baggao, Cagayan, where Typhoon Ompong, internationally known as Super Typhoon Mangkhut made its first landfall

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Death toll continues to rise as a result of the strong Typhoon Ompong.

Based on the 9:00 a.m. count from the Philippine National Police (PNP) Operation Center, the number of fatalities already reached 74.

The highest number was recorded in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) with 60 fatalities from the Itogon landslide. Region 2 (Cagayan Valley) followed with 10 deaths; Region 3 (Central Luzon) with 2 and National Capital Region (NCR) with 1 death recorded.

Meanwhile, the number of missing persons spiked to 55. The CAR marked the highest number with 52; two in Cagayan Valley and one in Metro Manila.

The number of injured persons counted to 74. From the said number, 42 was recorded in CAR; 17 in Cagayan Valley; 12 in Ilocos Region; 2 in Metro Manila; and one Central Luzon.

PNP Spokesperson Benigno Durana Jr. said the rescue teams are working round the clock to help the residents in affected areas. Members of the Special Action Force (SAF), meanwhile, are concentrated in assisting other rescue workers in the landslide area in Barangay Ucab, Itogon, Benguet.

“Sabi nga ng CPNP we will not lose hope and with your prayers, we will not stop until the last of our fellow Filipinos will be accounted for para mabigyan naman sila ng karapat-dapat na libing ng kanilang mga pamilya,” Durana said.

Police personnel is also hands-on in the repacking of relief goods as well as in the clearing operations in affected areas.

“Bahagi rin ang ating mga kapulisan sa repacking centers sa mga relief and distribution centers para makapagbigay pa rin po tayo ng mga dagdag na serbisyo sa ating mga kababayan lalong lalo na yung mga nasalanta ng bagyong Ompong,” Durana added.

The official also emphasized that the PNP is ready to help in the investigation of local government executives who may have neglected their responsibilities in the course of Typhoon Ompong should the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) request for it.

“Sa ngayon wala pa naman kaming natanggap na utos patungkol po doon. But if the DILG want us to be involved, definitely, because the PNP is also under the DILG,” he added. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Tags: , ,