PNP launches new, ‘more personal’ internal cleansing program

Robie de Guzman   •   July 10, 2019   •   1487

FILE PHOTO: Deployable personnel for for the Reactionary Standby Support Force (RSSF) as part of the PNP’s preparation for Typhoon Ompong | PNP-PIO photo

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police(PNP) on Tuesday launched a new and ‘more personal’ internal cleansing program for its officers with derogatory records.

PNP chief Police General Oscar Albayalde said the new, military-like program will employ a squad concept wherein a squad leader will train and guide their members.

The PNP chief added that the internal cleansing program will use a restorative approach which aims to focus on values formation to help change the attitude of policemen.

“You have a squad leader that will teach you and guide you. Parang sa military ito. May pinakamaliit na unit, squad; the squad concept,” Albayalde told reporters in a briefing at Camp Crame.

“This is more personal, more intimate,” he added.

Under the squad concept, each group will be composed of six to eight members with one trainer. Cops designated in each group, as well as their families, will undergo various training and seminars under the internal cleansing program.

A committee would also be formed to ensure the program’s proper implementation.

Police data showed that from July 2016 until June 20, 2019, a total of 2,400 policemen with various administrative cases were dismissed from service while 422 were removed due to drug-related charges.

Albayalde said cops whose videos have recently become viral on social media for hitting a child, and for engaging in illegal gambling and extortion activities will also undergo the new internal cleansing program.

The PNP chief said the program will be piloted in Metro Manila, and will also be implemented in other regions once it becomes a success. (with details from April Cenedoza)

PNP-CIDG includes Albayalde in ‘ninja cops’ complaint

Robie de Guzman   •   October 21, 2019

FILE PHOTO: PNP Chief Oscar Albayalde

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police’s (PNP) Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) has included former PNP chief Gen. Oscar Albayalde as a respondent in the criminal complaints in relation to the controversial 2013 Pampanga operations.

The PNP-CIDG on Monday filed an amendment to its original complaint to include Albayalde in the charges against Pampanga police officers who were tagged in the ‘ninja cops’ issue.

The amended complaint filed in the Department of Justice (DOJ) has added a case for violation of Section 92 of the Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act, graft, qualified bribery, falsification of public documents and dereliction of duty.

When sought for comment, Albayalde said he welcomes his inclusion in the complaint.

“At least I will be accorded due process on this,” the former PNP chief told reporters.

Albayalde is the 14th respondent in the complaint against the team of police officers led by Major Rodney Baloyo who were accused of planting evidence and recycling of illegal drugs confiscated from an operation in Mexico, Pampanga.

Albayalde, who was then the head of Pampanga provincial police, was accused of intervening in the case of the said cops.  

The original charges against the 13 policemen were dismissed but the DOJ reopened the investigation following a Senate inquiry on the controversial operation.

The Senate Blue Ribbon Committee in its report earlier recommended the filing of charges against Albayalde and 13 cops.

Albayalde last week relinquished his post as PNP chief amid the controversy and went on a non-duty status weeks before his supposed retirement on November 8. – RRD (with details from Correspondent April Cenedoza)

Over P500M worth of suspected shabu intercepted in Samar

Robie de Guzman   •   October 18, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – More than P500 million worth of suspected methamphetamine hydrochloride (locally known as shabu) was intercepted by authorities at a checkpoint in Gandara town in Samar on Thursday.

Operatives from the Philippines National Police (PNP) and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) seized the illegal drugs which were contained in 44 plastic packs, weighing more than 88 kilograms.

Authorities said the contraband was intercepted from two vehicles that were stopped at a checkpoint at Barangay Buñagan.

“During the checkpoint, mayroong nakalagay sa trunk, may nakalagay sa back seat… Medyo suspicious ‘yung action nung may bag sa likuran,” Eastern Visaysa Police Director Brigadier General Dionardo Carlos said.

The operation yielded the arrest of five suspects, including a pregnant woman, and the rescue of one minor.

Suspects presented to the media claimed they do not know each other, adding that they were just given instructions through a cellphone call to drive the vehicles and leave it when they reached the specified destination.

They were allegedly promised to receive P20,000 each after the transaction but they claimed to have not known about the identity of their client.

Drug-related charges are being readied against the suspects. — RRD (with details from Correspondent Jennelyn Gaquit-Valles)

NAPOLCOM recommends three names for next PNP chief

Marje Pelayo   •   October 18, 2019

(L-R) Police Lt.Gen Archie Gamboa, Deputy Chief for Operations Police Lt.Gen Camilo Cascolan and Directorial Staff Chief Police Major Gen Guillermo Eleazar

MANILA, Philippines — The National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM) has recommended three high ranking police officers to be the next Philippine National Police (PNP) chief.

Among the three is PNP officer-in-charge Police Lt.Gen Archie Gamboa who took over the PNP following the resignation of Police Gen. Oscar Albayalde.

Aside from Gamboa, Deputy Chief for Operations Police Lt.Gen Camilo Cascolan and Directorial Staff Chief Police Major Gen Guillermo Eleazar are also among NAPOLCOM’s top picks to become the next chief of the PNP.

NAPOLCOM Vice Chairman Rogelio Casurao clarified that the NAPOLCOM’s shortlist is just a recommendation.

The decision still rests with President Rodrigo Duterte as he may also choose someone who is not on NAPOLCOM’s list.

“Moral ascendancy, decency, integrity…these are the things that our system is longing for — iyong tatagal talaga sa trabaho (One who would last long in office) because people are feeling their trust and respect for their leader,” Casurao concluded.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.