PNP hunts down Jolo suicide bombers’ alleged daughter

admin   •   February 20, 2019   •   1401

Photo courtesy of Ahmad Sajan

QUEZON CITY, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) is on the hunt for the alleged 10-year-old daughter of the two suicide bombers responsible for the Jolo cathedral blast.

According to a suspect turned witness, the suicide bombers were an Indonesian couple and was with their daughter when they met at the airport in Tayhaji, Buto Tiyam Caltex from Zamboanga. They took the Indonesian family to Bastiong Langub, Patikul Sulu.

He also described the couple which matches the statement of eyewitnesses at the Mt. Carmel Cathedral saying the suicide bombers were a man and a woman.

The man was 5’4 in height and was wearing a black shirt and the woman was 5’2 and was wearing a hijab. Their daughter was wearing a turong.

“Based on account and intelligence information at other accounts ng other witnesses ay talagang merong isang babae at isang lalaki, ang lumalabas sabi nila yung babae ang nasa loob at lalaki ang nasa labas” PNP chief PDG Oscar Albayalde said. (Based on account and intelligence information and other accounts of other witnesses, there was really a man and a woman. They said the woman was inside while the man was standing outside.)

DILG Sec. Eduardo Año previously said the suicide bombers left their daughter to Abu Sayyaf sympathizers before the blast

Meanwhile, Albayalde wants to find the alleged daughter for DNA testing to prove if the suicide bombers are really her parents as well as to confirm their nationality.

“Iyong information na meron silang iniwan na anak dito sa Pilipinas hopefully makita natin dahil paglaki niyan posibleng maging potential suicide bomber din. Of course nakita nila sa kanilang parents.” (There is information that they left their child in the Philippines. Hopefully we can find her because she could end up becoming a suicide bomber herself as she had seen from her parents. )

Albayalde also wants an immediate action to prevent the child from getting influenced by terrorists.

He also confirmed that the two pairs of feet found in the blast site belonged to a man and a woman based on the test done by the PNP Crime Laboratory.

The woman’s feet also matches the DNA of the nape also found in the blast site.

“So the same person, yung isang pares na pangbabae at yung part ng batok na nakuha, at walang nag match sa mga ito doon sa 23 na namatay, walang nag match doon sa DNA nila.” (So one pair of feet and a part of the nape are the same person. It also did not match with the 23 fatalities, their DNAs did not match.)

The PNP chief also explained they have all the parts of the 23 victims but the man and woman whose feet were found recently remains to be unidentified.

“Iyong babae ang sabi nila ay hindi nagsasalita kasi base on witness and source ay bago bago lang siya dito sa Pilipinas, yung lalaki medyo matagal na kaya nakakapagsalita na sya ng konting Tausug.”(Witnesses and sources said, the woman hardly spoke because she hadn’t been in the Philippines long. The man, on the other hand, had been in the country for long so he could speak a little Tausug.)

He also confirmed that the Indonesian Police, who also investigated the 2002 Bali Bombing, arrived in the country and had already taken DNA samples from the blast site. — Aileen Cerrudo

11 fallen heroes in Sulu encounter return home ⁠—AFP

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 20, 2020

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has brought the remains of 11 soldiers who were killed in the recent Sulu encounter to their respective hometowns.

In a statement, the AFP said eight of the soldiers are from Luzon, one from Visayas, and two from Mindanao.

The fallen soldiers were given honors by Philippine defense leaders at Colonel Jesus Villamor Air Base, Pasay, City on Saturday (April 18).

“In honor of their sacrifice for the nation, we assure the bereaved families that we will take care of them and extend to them the necessary assistance that their families will need.” according to AFP Commanding General, Lt. Gen. Gilbert I. Gapay.

READ: 11 soldiers killed, 14 wounded in Sulu encounter

Eleven soldiers of the AFP were killed while 14 others were wounded during an encounter with suspected Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) members in Sulu on Friday (April 17).

11 soldiers killed, 14 wounded in Sulu encounter

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 18, 2020

Eleven soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) were killed while 14 others were wounded during an encounter with suspected Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) members in Sulu on Friday (April 17).

The AFP reported that the military encountered around 40 ASG terrorists believed to be led by ASG leaders Radullan Sahiron and Hatib Hadjan Sawadjaan.

The number of ASG casualties is yet to determined but bloodstains were seen on their side of the battle after they scampered towards the northeast direction.

The said encounter lasted for an hour in Brgy. Danag, Patikul, Sulu.

The AFP said they lost six R4 rifles, a K3 SAW machine gun, an R4 rifle with a grenade launcher, and a hand-held radio in the encounter.

The military said flags in all military camps around the country will be flown at half-mast for the 11 Army heroes who died during the encounter.

AFP Chief General Felimon Santos, Jr. expressed his condolences to the family of the fallen heroes. He also ensured that all necessary assistance will be extended to their loved ones.

Meanwhile, Commander of the Army 11th Infantry Division based in Sulu MGEN Corleto Vinluan said pursuit operations in the area are ongoing. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

4 suspected Abu Sayyaf members arrested in Zamboanga City

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 26, 2019

Four suspected members of Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) were arrested during the joint operation of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Zamboanga City on Thursday (September 26).

The arrested individuals were identified as Aljiver Habibula, Omar Julaspih, Rody Marail, and Nash Amik who are all from Sulu province and are currently residing at Barangay Baliwasan, Zamboanga City.

Recovered from the operation are ingredients for Improvised Explosive Device (IED).

According to the PNP, they have been monitoring the suspects for several days. They also clarified they have not received any threats of bombing in Zamboanga City.

“Batay sa briefing ng ating intelligence division ay wala naman talaga tayong threat tungkol diyan. Hindi rin natin masasabi kung ito ba ay may plano (attack) para sa ating fiesta pilar (Based on the briefing of our intelligence division, there are no threats. We also cannot say if they have a planned attack for our festival),” Police Regional Office 9 Spokesperson PMaj. Helen Galvez said.

However, according to AFP Western Mindanao Command Spokesperson Maj. Arvin John Encinas, they received a report last month about the ASG’s plan to bomb various areas in the country.

Encinas said this is a part of ASG’s retaliatory attack because their number continues to decrease.

“Maliit na lang iyan pero mayroon silang kakayahan to conduct IED attacks (They may be small but they still have the capacity to conduct IED attacks),” he warned.

Due to this, he reminded the public to immediately report to the authorities any suspicious individuals in their area.

They can contact the PRO-9 office at 0917 506 2000.—AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.