PNP hails Court’s guilty verdict on Ampatuan massacre case; to double manhunt efforts on still at-large accused
Maris Federez • December 19, 2019 • 664
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) has hailed what it called as “the landmark decision of a Quezon City Court that meted the guilty verdict to several accused and accessories in the celebrated Ampatuan massacre of 2009”.
The PNP issued its statement on Thursday (Dec. 19), following the promulgation of the consolidated partial decision by the QC RTC Branch 221, penned by Hon. Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes.
PNP Officer-in-Charge PLtGen. Archie Francisco F Gamboa said, “this triumph of justice sends a strong message that the majesty of the law does not bow to the rich and powerful.”
In the statement, Gamboa said the PNP will double all efforts to account for Ampatuan massacre accused who are still at-large as the police force “is duty-bound to implement all actionable orders of the court when it meted the guilty verdict to the accused in the murder of 58 persons in Ampatuan, Maguindanao ten years ago on November 23, 2009”.
Gamboa has directed the CIDG, the IG and the BARMM PNP to launch massive manhunt operations for the 80 fugitives who have yet to surrender to the court in the whole duration of the entire trial.
The PNP has included in the manhunt accused dismissed Police Inspector Michael Joy Ines Macaraeg who did not appear during the promulgation of the decision.
The Court has issued an arrest warrant against him.
“Considering the nature of their crime and their continued flight from justice, we presume these fugitives to be armed and dangerous,” Gamboa said. /mbmf
The Philippine National Police (PNP) assured to conduct strict monitoring of cemeteries across the country amid closure from October 29 to November 4.
Commander of the Joint Task Force COVID Shield Police Lt. Gen. Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar said they will deploy security at all entrances of the cemeteries and similar places. They will also conduct regular patrol of the vicinity.
“The real intention here is to discourage the influx of large number of people during Undas as part of the measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus,” he said.
Police Assistance Desk will be set up outside cemeteries to ensure that people will not be allowed even if they insist on entering the premises. A total of 2,967 Police Assistance Desks have been set up.
As of October 29, a total of 15,629 policemen were tasked to secure various cemeteries, columbaria and memorial parks while 4,958 more policemen were deployed as road safety marshals.
“Their task is to ensure that no person would be allowed to enter the cemeteries, memorial parks and columbaria from October 29 to November 4 and to ensure that peace and order and observation of minimum health safety standard protocols when these areas reopen on November 5,” Eleazar said.
The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) had previously ordered local government units (LGU) to close all private and public cemeteries, memorial parks, and columbaria, as ordered by President Rodrigo Duterte.
“We are asking for the people’s cooperation by not going to the cemeteries, staying at home on October 29 to November 4, 2020 and visiting their departed relatives days before or weeks after the closure,” according to DILG Secretary Eduardo Año. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines – More than 1,000 members of police search and rescue teams have been deployed to assist in areas heavily battered by Typhoon Quinta, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Monday.
PNP chief General Camilo Cascolan said the search and rescue teams will particularly help local government units in the implementation of forced evacuation in regions severely affected by the typhoon, as well as in areas highly susceptible to landslide and floods following heavy rains.
“We also have to re-echo the directive that we should be able to force evacuate those who are in high risk areas, most specially for flooding,” Cascolan said.
The PNP chief also ordered the deployment of additional 200 policemen to monitor residential areas whose homeowners were forced to evacuate due to the storm.
“We have policemen guarding these areas to prevent looting incidents from happening in those residences,” Cascolan said.
He added that more than 6,000 more police officers are on stand by for deployment.
Cascolan said he has also ordered police ground commanders to help in the distribution of food packs to families in evacuation centers through the PNP’s Food Bank program.
Typhoon Quinta caused flooding in some areas and forced thousands of residents to flee their homes.
Around 12 fishermen were also reported missing in Catanduanes.
The state weather bureau said the storm is expected to exit the Philippine area of responsibility on Tuesday morning. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.