PNP dissolves all drug enforcement units, retains PDEG
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, October 12th, 2017
MANILA, Philippines – In line with the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte to transfer the conduct of all anti-drug operations to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), the Philippine National Police (PNP) has dissolved all of its drug enforcement units at all police stations across the country.
Some personnel of the drug enforcement units will now become detectives or police intelligence officers in their respective areas of jurisdiction to help in further preventing the spread of crimes.
However, the PNP said it will not dismantle its drug enforcement group (PDEG), but its functions will now be limited to drug-related intelligence gathering.
PDEG will transfer to PDEA the pending drug related cases it handles.
“All units are now directed to focus all operations on number 1 anti-criminality, internal security operations, anti-terrorism through our provisions and strategy in our enhanced managing police operations,” PNP PIO P/CSupt. Dionardo Carlos said.
The PNP also suspends all Oplan Tokhang and Oplan Double Barrel Operations.
Based on a memorandum order, the PNP is prohibited from conducting any operation plan related to illegal drugs.
However, the PNP insists it can still provide assistance in the government’s war on drugs.
All police stations will still receive complaints or information regarding illegal drug dens, pot sessions, and locations of shabu laboratories.
Cops can also participate in the operations of PDEA.
Based on the latest figures of the PNP, the police had conducted almost 80,000 drug-related operations from 1st of July in 2016 to August 29 of this year.
It has also arrested more than 100,000 drug personalities and killed almost 4,000 suspects in its anti-drug operations. – Mon Jocson | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News | Posted on Friday, February 9th, 2018
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is unshaken by the threat of Communist Party of the Philippines founding chair, Jose Maria Sison that New People’s Army (NPA) rebels can kill one soldier every day.
In his meeting over snacks with 215 former NPA rebels in Malacañang on Wednesday night, the President said he would have five NPA rebels killed for every soldier slain.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Sison should not belittle what the government can do against the communist rebels.
“I think the message is: you don’t threaten us, Joma Sison. We are the state, if we haven’t eradicated you, it’s because we opted not to eradicate you as Filipinos. But if you want war, we are ready to go to war,” said Roque.
Meanwhile, President Duterte wants the 48 former female rebels to tour Hong Kong and China and be exposed to capitalism.
He will bring them with him on his next visit in China where he will discuss with the Chinese government the Philippines’ concerns about the Philippine Rise.
Meanwhile, 683 former NPA rebels from various parts of Eastern Mindanao have returned to the fold of the law and the first batch of them has toured Rizal Park, Intramuros and Malacañang.
President Duterte promised them security, shelter, jobs and education for their children. – Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News | Posted on Friday, February 9th, 2018
MANILA, Philippines – Labor groups were dismayed when President Rodrigo Duterte did not sign the proposed executive order that would end contractualization in the country in their meeting in Malacañang Wednesday night.
The meeting was attended by representatives of Nagkaisa Labor Coalition, Associated Labor Unions – Trade Union Congress of the Philippines, Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU), Sentro, Federation of Free Workers and Partido Manggagawa.
The militant groups believe the EO, which was drafted in May last year, is now long overdue.
“Nalungkot at siyempre may galit dahil pauulit-ulit naman na yung meetings namin. At yun nga napaasa kami kahapon dahil marami nang pakikipag-usap na nangyari sa secretary of labor,” KMU Chairman Elmer Labug said.
(We were saddened and of course, angered because we’ve been doing these meetings time and again. And we were hopeful yesterday because there had been a number of talks already with the Labor secretary.)
“Hindi pinirmahan ni Presidente Duterte at ang aming fear nga diyan yung time nahinihingi ay mawawater down yung version habang tumatagal,”Labug added.
(President Duterte did not sign. With the extended time being asked, we fear that the proposed version [of the executive order] will be watered down as time goes by.)
“Akala naming yun na na happy kami, pwede na kami mag-inom then nag-inom kami sa dismaya,” TUCP Partylist Cong. Raymond Mendoza said.
(We thought the time has come. We were happy and that we can finally drink a toast, but we ended up drinking in dismay.)
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque clarified that the President asked for more time to decide on the issue of endo.
“Well it was closed doors and although I was invited, I have previous engagement. But I was made to understand that he asked for more time to issue the executive order on endo. And that’s all that I was informed by head of protocol,” he said.
The President asked the groups to give him until March 15 to think about the EO and to have a meeting with the groups again regarding this.
But KMU Chairman Elmer Labug fears that if the EO will be kept pending, the hope for it to be signed will soon be gone.
“Hindi ako naniniwalang may sincerity kasi ang sinasabi niya ay kakausapin pa niya yung mga grupong kapitalista (I don’t believe there is sincerity because he said he needs to talk with the capitalist groups) ,” he said.
“Kapag kinausap niya ito, di talagang sasabihin nila na investors sila therefore kailangang masunod yung mga demands nila,” Labug added.
(When he talks to them, they will surely say they are investors therefore there demands should be followed.)
On the other hand, the Employees’ Confederation of the Philippines said they do not want to meddle with the issue on endo.
ECOP President Donald Dee said it is up to the President to decide.
“Na-explain na namin ang impact niyan (We have already explained its impact) so therefore, we’ll have just to wait ,” Dee said.
by UNTV NEWS | Posted on Thursday, February 8th, 2018
FILE PHOTO: Canada’s Minister of international trade Francois-Philippe Champagne speaks during an interview with Reuters in Danang, Vietnam November 8, 2017. REUTERS/Jorge Silva
OTTAWA (Reuters) – Just one day after signing a $233 million agreement to sell 16 helicopters to the Philippines, the Canadian government on Wednesday ordered a review of the deal amid concerns the aircraft could be used to fight rebels.
Trade Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne said that the deal – formally signed on Tuesday – had been struck in 2012 on the understanding the helicopters would be used for search-and-rescue missions.
Philippine Major-General Restituto Padilla, military chief of plans, told Reuters on Tuesday the helicopters would be used for the military’s internal security operations, adding they could also be deployed in search-and-rescue and disaster relief operations.
“When we saw that declaration … we immediately launched a review with the relevant authorities. And we will obviously review the facts and take the right decision,” Champagne told reporters, without giving more details.
The Bell 412EPI helicopters were due be delivered early next year as the Philippine military prepares to step up operations against Islamist and communist rebels.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, asked later whether he was concerned the helicopters might be used against Filipino citizens, replied “Absolutely.”
Canada has very clear regulations about to whom it can sell weapons and how they can be used, he said during a question and answer event at the University of Chicago.
“We are going to make sure before this deal or any other deal goes through that we are abiding by the rules … that Canadian governments have to follow,” he said.
In November, Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte publicly criticized Trudeau at a regional summit in Manila for raising questions about his war on drugs.
Nearly 4,000 Filipinos have been killed by police in the campaign since June 2016. Human rights groups accuse police of carrying out illegal killings, staging crime scenes and falsifying reports, a charge they deny.
“Human rights is a key element of our foreign policy and of our trade policy,” said Champagne.
In 2016, the Liberal government was criticized for deciding to honor a contract to sell light armored vehicles to Saudi Arabia, despite human rights concerns. Like the helicopter contract, the deal had been arranged by Canada’s former Conservative administration.
Reporting by David Ljunggren; Editing by Peter Cooney and Cynthia Osterman
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.