PNP deploys SAF troops after police station attack in Sulu

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 15, 2020   •   661

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has deployed Special Action Force (SAF) troops to Sulu after a municipal police station was attacked by armed men on Saturday (June 13).

PNP Spokesperson PBGen. Bernard Banac said the PNP deployed SAF commandos and Regional Mobile Force Battalion troops to hunt down the suspects which are suspected to be Aby Sayyaf members.

“Hindi natin maiaalis ang posibilidad na may ilang maaaring kasabwat dito mula sa grupo ng Abu Sayyaf, ang mga lawless element sa lugar na iyan ay magkaka-kilala rin kaya isa iyan sa tinitingnang anggulo ng ating imbestigasyon, (We cannot remove the possibility that there are cohorts from the Abu Sayyaf group. The lawless elements in that area also have connections so that is one of the angles we are looking into in our investigation),” he said.

The PNP also condemned the said attack amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. Two policemen died during the encounter at the Parang Municipal Police Station which lasted for 30 minutes. Two more policemen were injured.

“Iyong mga namatay nating kasama ay bibigyan ng financial assistance, benefits. Lahat ng kanilang mga benepisyo ay ibibigay para sa kanilang pamilya, (Financial assistance and benefit will be given to our fellow troops who died. All of the benefits will be given to their families), Banac assured.

Meanwhile, all police troops in the region are on high alert to prevent similar incidents. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

PNP assures police visibility amid strict closure of cemeteries until Nov. 4

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 29, 2020

The Philippine National Police (PNP) assured to conduct strict monitoring of cemeteries across the country amid closure from October 29 to November 4.

Commander of the Joint Task Force COVID Shield Police Lt. Gen. Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar said they will deploy security at all entrances of the cemeteries and similar places. They will also conduct regular patrol of the vicinity.

“The real intention here is to discourage the influx of large number of people during Undas as part of the measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus,” he said.

Police Assistance Desk will be set up outside cemeteries to ensure that people will not be allowed even if they insist on entering the premises. A total of 2,967 Police Assistance Desks have been set up.

As of October 29, a total of 15,629 policemen were tasked to secure various cemeteries, columbaria and memorial parks while 4,958 more policemen were deployed as road safety marshals.

“Their task is to ensure that no person would be allowed to enter the cemeteries, memorial parks and columbaria from October 29 to November 4 and to ensure that peace and order and observation of minimum health safety standard protocols when these areas reopen on November 5,” Eleazar said.

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) had previously ordered local government units (LGU) to close all private and public cemeteries, memorial parks, and columbaria, as ordered by President Rodrigo Duterte.

“We are asking for the people’s cooperation by not going to the cemeteries, staying at home on October 29 to November 4, 2020 and visiting their departed relatives days before or weeks after the closure,” according to DILG Secretary Eduardo Año. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

PNP deploys search and rescue teams to Quinta-hit areas

Robie de Guzman   •   October 26, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – More than 1,000 members of police search and rescue teams have been deployed to assist in areas heavily battered by Typhoon Quinta, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Monday.

PNP chief General Camilo Cascolan said the search and rescue teams will particularly help local government units in the implementation of forced evacuation in regions severely affected by the typhoon, as well as in areas highly susceptible to landslide and floods following heavy rains.

“We also have to re-echo the directive that we should be able to force evacuate those who are in high risk areas, most specially for flooding,” Cascolan said.

The PNP chief also ordered the deployment of additional 200 policemen to monitor residential areas whose homeowners were forced to evacuate due to the storm.

“We have policemen guarding these areas to prevent looting incidents from happening in those residences,” Cascolan said.

He added that more than 6,000 more police officers are on stand by for deployment.

Cascolan said he has also ordered police ground commanders to help in the distribution of food packs to families in evacuation centers through the PNP’s Food Bank program.

Typhoon Quinta caused flooding in some areas and forced thousands of residents to flee their homes.

Around 12 fishermen were also reported missing in Catanduanes.

The state weather bureau said the storm is expected to exit the Philippine area of responsibility on Tuesday morning. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Police nab 1 of 13 Caloocan jail escapees

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 22, 2020

Police authorities caught one of the 13 detainees that escaped from Caloocan Custodial Facility Unit Extension on Thursday (October 22).

The detainee, identified as Aries Dunacao, was caught in his home Thursday morning.

Caloocan Chief of Police PCol. Dario Menor said they still continue their manhunt operation for the other 12 whose crimes involve illegal drugs, illegal possession of firearms, and robbery.

Menor said the 13 detainees were under quarantine for 51 days and were supposed to get transferred to the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) Facility which might have pushed them to escape.

Alam kasi nila na ililipat sila sa BJMP, kasi natapos na po sila ng quarantine ng 51 days, mayroon kasi kami na ginawa na rapid test noon (They know they will be transferred to the BJMP because their 51-day quarantine has been finished. We conducted a rapid test there),” he said.

Based on the rapid test for coronavirus disease (COVID-19), two of the 13 escaped detainees are positive for COVID-19, however they tested negative on the confirmatory or swab test.

Meanwhile, two police officers assigned to the Caloocan custodial facility were removed from their posts.

“They will be facing an investigation. In fact, we are now conducting the investigation,” according to Menor. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.