PNP conducts inspection in provincial bus terminals

Maris Federez   •   April 17, 2019   •   2160

The Philippine National Police (PNP) is now on full alert status in Metro Manila and other key tourist destinations until the end of the Lenten season.

Although authorities have not received threats in the country’s peace and order, around 91,000 police personnel are now deployed nationwide.

Police General Oscar Albayalde, NCRPO Chief Guillermo Eleazar and several PNP personnel on Wednesday (April 17) led the inspection at the Araneta Center Bus Terminal in Cubao and Victory Liner bus terminal in Pasay City.

The PNP officials personally checked the security plans of these terminals in accommodating passengers during the Lenten season. –Maris Federez

NCRPO seizes shabu worth P81.6-M in Taguig City

Maris Federez   •   May 24, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) has recorded one of the biggest amounts of methamphetamine hydrochloride, commonly known as “shabu”, confiscated by local police during an anti-illegal drug operation on Friday night, May 22, along C6 Road in Lower Bicutan, Taguig City.

The combined anti-illegal drug efforts of the Regional Intelligence Division/Regional Special Operations Unit- NCRPO, Regional Drug Enforcement Agency, District Intelligence Division- Southern Police District and Taguig City Police Station together with Philippine National Police- Drug Enforcement Group Special Operations Unit 4, all under the leadership of PMGen. Debold Sinas resulted in an armed encounter against the two (2) armed suspects.

The NCRPO chief identified the suspects as Ryan Labandaria and Ervyn Querubin.

The arrest was made through a buy-bust operation wherein a police operative acted as a poseur buyer.

The suspects, however, noticed that they were dealing with the police and a scuffle ensued. The suspects then fled the scene on board a black Nissan Navarra with the police on their tail.

The police said the suspects were subsequently apprehended and the operatives yielded twelve (12) large packs of dangerous drugs wrapped in Chinese Tea Bag packaging with an estimated weight of more or less 12 Kilograms of suspected shabu, and with an estimated DDB Value of Php 81.6-million.

Aside from the drugs, the police were also able to confiscate the following:

  • one .45 caliber pistol with one magazine loaded with six (6) live ammunitions;
  • one KG9 sub machine gun with one live ammunition for chamber load inserted with banana type magazine loaded with nine (9) live ammunitions; and,
  • one extra banana type magazine loaded with nine (9) live ammunitions

Police said an ambulance was called to bring the wounded suspects to hospital for medical treatment.

All evidence had also been brought to the RSOG-NCRPO for safekeeping, while the illegal drugs will be submitted to the Crime lab for examination.

Sinas, meanwhile, commended the operating teams for what the chief called a remarkable accomplishment of Team NCRPO’s war against illegal drugs.

“This accomplishment is reflective of Team NCRPO’s dedication and unwavering support of the marching order of the President and the Chief, PNP to cleanse the Metro from proliferation of illegal drugs,” Sinas said.

“With the largest amount of shabu busted by Team NCRPO so far this year, we have also minimized its possibility of destroying the lives and future of our fellowmen,” he added. — /mbmf

No PNP Chief yet? Duterte threatens to take over

Marje Pelayo   •   November 29, 2019

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (L) and former National Police chief Director General Oscar Albayalde (R) during the 117th Philippine National Police (PNP) police service anniversary in Quezon city, Philippines, 08 August 2018. EPA-EFE/STR

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has not decided yet as to who will assume the position vacated by former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, retired General Oscar Albayalde.

The President said he is carefully assessing the credentials of potential candidates to head the country’s main law enforcement arm.

Without an honest, corruption-free man to assume the job, the Chief Executive hinted on taking over the PNP.

“Ang akin, (for me) if they have even a single case of corruption, wala na, (it’s a no), you’re out,” the President warned.

“I would rather not appoint anybody for that matter. Ako na ang hahawak noon (I will take over). I will be the one directing the guidance and direction,” he added.

The President previously said he wants to be conscientious in choosing the next chief of the national police following controversies that tainted the credibility of Albayalde in relation to his alleged involvement with the so-called ninja cops or drug recycling issue that compelled him to resign.

President Duterte acknowledged, meanwhile, that there are a lot of things within the PNP that needs improvement and overhaul.

“But verily itong pulis maraming problema, pati generals nila kasali sa droga (Verily I say these policemen are the problems themselves, even their generals are involved in drugs),” the Chief Executive noted.

“Iyan ang ayaw ko diyan, pati generals. Hindi lumabas iyan hanggang hindi ako naging president (That’s what I hate, that even the generals [are involved]. Not until I became president that this was exposed),” he added. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Solons probe on missing P20M reward money in Batocabe slay case

Marje Pelayo   •   November 21, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – When AKO Bicol Party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe and his police escort PO3 Rolando Diaz were murdered on December 22, 2018, President Rodrigo Duterte offered P20 million reward for the capture of the assailants.

In addition, Batocabe’s colleagues in the House of Representatives (HOR) collectively gave P13 million, while the Albay Provincial Government sent out P2 million, making the overall amount of cash bounty to P35 million pesos.

But during the inquiry of the House Committee on Public Accounts on Wednesday (November 20), PNP-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group Dir. P/BGen. Joel Coronel revealed that only P13M from the said amount were handed to the CIDG and the Intelligence Group which they distributed to credible witnesses in the crime.

From the said amount, P6M was given to witness Emmanuel Judavar and to seven other witnesses who requested anonymity.

Two of them received P2M each, another two received P1M each, one witness received P500,000, and another two witnesses received P250,000 each.

But the CIDG couldn’t present a breakdown of the distribution of the P20M cash reward that the President provided.

Coronel said the money, which they believed was received by then PNP Chief now-retired General Oscar Albayalde, was not turned over to them.

“The records of the distribution and liquidation of which were submitted directly to the Office of the President and I do not have the record, it did not pass through the CIDG,” explained Coronel when asked by Senator Koko Pimentel as to what happened to the reward money.

Pimentel argued that the said amount must be liquidated because it came from the Office of the President, therefore, it is ‘tax money.’

In response to a text message from UNTV, Albayalde sternly denied that he accepted the missing reward money.

“Lahat iyan na kay CIDG at IG. Wala akong hinawakan na reward money! Huwag nilang hanapin sa akin yan! (They are with CIDG and IG. I did not accept any reward money! They shouldn’t ask me that),” he said in a text message.

AKO Bicol Party-list Rep. Alfredo Garbin Jr. did not buy CIDG’s argument thus he said he is determined to push through with the investigation.

“We have a second hearing wherein former Chief PNP will be invited at ang tatlo pang (and the three other) witnesses na nakatanggap ng (who also received cash) bounty, at ang PD ng (as well as the Police Director of) Albay, Col Asueta to shed light on the P2-million,” Garbin said.

“Three suspects din sila (They are considered three of the suspects) and we have to confirm on them kung magkano talaga ang kanilang na-receive (how much they really received),” he added.

During the inquiry earlier today (November 21), lawmakers agreed that General Albayalde should also be subpoenaed and be cited in contempt should he refused to appear in the next hearing.

The recent retraction of the three suspects favoring former Daraga Albay Mayor Carlwyn Baldo dismayed the late Batocabe’s son Atty. Justin Batocabe.

The younger Batocabe suspected that money is working behind their backs.

“Iyan na nga po ang nakakabahala dyan. Nasulot (That’s what I was expecting. They were swayed to pull back),” he said.

“Ang balita sa akin ay nabayaran daw para bumaliktad at tinakot and at the same time binigyan ng abogado (I was informed that they were bribed to retract their statements and they were even provided with lawyers),” he said referring to the suspects. – MNP (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.