PNP chief orders probe on COVID-19 vax drive sabotage

Maris Federez   •   August 8, 2021   •   255

 MANILA, Philippines — Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar has ordered the investigation into the alleged sabotage of the COVID-19 vaccination program in some parts of Metro Manila through fake news dissemination.

In a statement released on Sunday (August 8), the PNP said that circulated wrong and malicious information on social media have caused massive crowds to rush to the vaccination centers to get COVID-19 jabs.

The said fake news has alleged that unvaccinated persons would not be allowed to go outside and would not receive cash aid while the National Capital Region is under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).

“We are already looking into this and part of it is to trace the identity of the source of disinformation on vaccination being circulated on social media and text messages,” Eleazar said.

The PNP chief reiterated that there is no order to prevent unvaccinated people from going out of their homes during the ECQ.

Eleazar added that Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año himself made the assurance earlier that qualified beneficiaries of the cash assistance in Metro Manila will be given the ‘ayuda’, regardless if they are vaccinated or not.

“Nais ko din magbigay ng paalala sa publiko na huwag basta-basta maniniwala sa mga kumakalat na impormasyon. Libre magtanong sa ating mga LGUs at mga ahensya. Maaari din tayong sumilip sa mga official websites ng mga government agencies at basahin ang mga announcements,” said Eleazar.

“Puwede din naman makibalita tayo sa mainstream media: sa TV, radyo o dyaryo.  Maraming nanamantala sa pandemya at nagpapakalat ng maling impormasyon para makapanggulo lang kaya dapat ay maging mapanuri tayo,” he added.

Ombudsman junks CIDG petition vs Abayalde anew

Maris Federez   •   November 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Ombudsman has rejected anew the motion filed by the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) seeking the reversal of the decision to acquit former PNP chief Police General Oscar Abayalde of graft charges filed against him.

In its resolution, the Ombudsman said the CIDG’s motion still lack sufficient evidence that will pin down Abayalde to the case.

The resolution added that the CIDG did not submit new arguments that will prove the involvement of the retired general in the case.

The CIDG filed graft charges against Abayalde for his alleged involvement in the anomalous drug operation of police authorities in Pampanga in 2013. —/mbmf

NTC, makikipag-ugnayan sa PNP at NBI para matunton ang nasa likod ng text scams

Robie de Guzman   •   November 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Makikipag-ugnayan ang National Telecommunications (NTC) sa pulisya at sa National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) para imbestigahan ang mga nasa likod ng text scams.

Ito ay kasunod na rin ng mga reklamo ng ilang mobile subscribers ukol sa natatanggap nilang mga text messages mula sa mga ‘di kilalang phone numbers na nag-aalok ng trabaho, o kaya ay pautang.

Ayon sa NTC, maraming paraan para makuha ang phone number ng isang indibiduwal na pinapadalhan ng spam texts.

Kabilang na dito ang listahan ng mga number na nagpapaload sa mga tindahan at sa contact tracing system ng mga establisimyento.

Pero giit ni NTC deputy commissioner Edgardo Cabarios, ipinagbabawal ang pagbibigay ng impormasyong ito sa ibang tao at paggamit rito para sa text scams.

“We can coordinate perhaps with NBI at police para surveillance, ano, ma-determine sino yung mga yan—grupo ba sila or individual, et cetera, et cetera,” ani Cabarios.

Payo ng NTC sa publiko, huwag magbigay ng personal na impormasyon kung makakatanggap ng mga ganitong mensahe.

Maaari namang i-block ng NTC ang phone number ng mga gumagawa ng ganitong aktibidad kung hihilingin ng mga magrereklamo.

Kung makakatanggap ng text scams, maaari itong ireport sa NTC Central Office Consumer Welfare and Protection Division sa mga numerong (+63) (02) 8920-4464; (+63) (02) 8926-7722; at (+63) (02) 8921-3251.

Maaari ding magpadala ng mensahe sa e-mail address ng NTC na consumer@ntc.gov.ph. (Mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

DOLE to hire additional data encoders for COVID-19 vaccination program

Maris Federez   •   November 17, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Wednesday announced that the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is in the process of hiring additional data encoders for the COVID-19 vaccination program of the government.

DILG spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said the DOLE will open an internship program to train and hire data encoders that will be deployed to the local government units.

The DOLE will initially open 100 slots for data encoders for the LGUs in the National Capital Region that need additional manpower.

The Department of Information and Communications Technology has earlier cited the insufficient number of data encoders as the reason for the delay in the release of digital vaccination certificates.

“Kasi nga po habang tumataas yung ating vaccination we need more encoders to be encoding the vaccination list na pinadala sa DICT at DOH. So, nakipag-ugnayan po tayo sa Department of Labor and Employment at ang maganda naman pong balita ay binuksan po ng DOLE ang kanilang government internship program para po makapag-hire tayo ng additional encoders,” said Malaya. —/mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.