PNP chief orders crackdown on cops using seized, unregistered vehicles

Robie de Guzman   •   September 16, 2020   •   58

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief General Camilo Cascolan has ordered a crackdown on police officers using vehicles that are unregistered, stolen, and impounded as evidence in criminal cases.

PNP Public Information Office (PIO) chief Colonel Ysmael Yu said Cascolan also directed all police unit commanders to conduct inspection and inventory of all motor vehicles as well as surprise camp lockdowns to catch personnel who are using such vehicles.

The PNP’s Highway Patrol Group and Integrity Monitoring and Enforcement Group have been tapped to lead the crackdown, Yu added.

“The chief Philippine National Police is national in scope with his directive so it is automatically nationwide, so everyone from the region could adhere to the mandate of the chief Philippine National Police,” he said.

Cascolan also wants all vehicles impounded in police camps and stations to be accounted.

Police personnel are prohibited from using vehicles that are recovered, unregistered, and impounded, as well as removing any parts of such vehicles.

The PNP chief warned to slap charges and sanctions against cops who are found doing such act.

“Criminal liability has to be determined but automatically, since they are the member of the Philippine National Police, they will be charged, and investigated administratively for the purpose,” Yu said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Cyber security expert cautions PH telcos amid Huawei crackdown

Robie de Guzman   •   May 21, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Major telecommunication companies in the Philippines should exercise caution amid the ban imposed by the United States (US) on Chinese tech giant Huawei, a cybersecurity expert said.

The US last week barred American firms from dealing with Huawei without a government license, in a latest blow against China amid escalating trade war.

The US accused Huawei of posing an international security threat, saying the telecom company is being used by China for surveillance and to “spy” on Americans.

Huawei, the world’s biggest supplier of telecommunications equipment, gets critical technology and components from a number of US firms for its devices.

On Sunday, news emerged that Google will comply with a US government order and suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware, software and technical services except those publicly available via open source licensing.

Reports said the move will render Google services inaccessible on Huawei smartphones that run on Android. Future versions of Huawei mobile devices will also lose access to popular services, such as Google Play Store, Gmail and YouTube apps.

In a statement, Android clarified that existing Huawei devices can still have access to Google services.

READ: Existing Huawei devices safe from Google app restrictions—Android

Local telecommunication companies, in a separate statement, also assured its subscribers that existing Huawei handsets and devices will continue to function normally on their network.

READ: Purchased Huawei products will function properly on our network – PLDT

But cyber security expert Roselle Reig said the ongoing crackdown and increasing number of countries banning Huawei should alarm local telcos.

“They need to be cautious because it seems there a lot of countries that are against Huawei. Our Telcos should listen and be aware of what is happening outside the country and to safeguard our Huawei users,” she said.

Reig also stressed that an intensive study should be conducted to determine the implications of the issue to the national security should spying allegations against Huawei are proven to be true.

The US State Department earlier accused the Tech Giant of sharing some vital information to their clients in the Chinese government.

“Should there be backdoor access that could spy the device or Huawei devices can be used to spy the government or communication (system) in the country, it’s a big threat to the security of every Filipino and Internet user,” she said.

Reig also expressed fear that the processes of systems in terms of transportation, electricity and banking, among others may be put in danger due to cyber hacking.

On the part of Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT), acting secretary Eliseo Rio Jr. said the US blacklist on Huawei would not affect its policy of allowing private telcos choose their equipment supplier.

Telcos are also required by the government to provide assurance that their networks will not pose any threat to national security.

“If it does, if an incident happens, then they can lose their business, if their network has been the cause of breach that endangers our national security,” said DICT Acting Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr.

Despite the ban, Huawei assured to keep sending software updates to its devices for the next three months after receiving a temporary license until August 19, 2019.

READ: U.S. temporarily eases trade restrictions vs Huawei

The US government also temporarily eased restrictions on Huawei for 90 days to minimize disruption for customers and to allow telcos relying on the Chinese firm to make other arrangements. (with details from April Cenedoza)

DFA: Crackdown sa mga undocumented migrant worker sa Malaysia, simula na ngayong Martes

admin   •   January 20, 2014

“This facilitation will continue and consular outreach missions will also proceed as scheduled in order to reach and serve as many Filipinos as possible.” — Department of Foreign Affairs Spokeperson Raul Hernandez

“This facilitation will continue and consular outreach missions will also proceed as scheduled in order to reach and serve as many Filipinos as possible.” — Department of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson Raul Hernandez

MANILA, Philippines – Nakahanda ang Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) na tulungan ang mga Pilipino na maaapektuhan ng crackdown ng Malaysian government sa mga undocumented foreign worker na magsisimula ngayong Martes, Enero 21.

Ayon sa DFA, may 700-libong Pilipino ang nasa Malaysia ngayon, at tinatayang nasa 20-libo hanggang 30-libo dito ang undocumented o walang papeles.

Sinabi ni DFA Spokesman Asec. Raul Hernandez na simula noong Setyembre hanggang Disyembre 2013, mahigit limang libo na ang sumailalim sa voluntary repatriation program ng pamahalaan.

“This facilitation will continue and consular outreach missions will also proceed as scheduled in order to reach and serve as many Filipinos as possible,” pahayag nito.

Ayon pa sa DFA, kung ibibilang ng gobyerno ng Malaysia ang Sabah sa isasagawang crackdown, posibleng mas maraming Pilipino pa ang maapektuhan.

Sa ngayon ay hindi pa matiyak ng DFA kung ilan sa 400-libong Pilipino na nasa Sabah ang walang papeles.

Ani Hernandez, “Well, if we include the Filipinos in Sabah, there will be more because there are so many Filipinos in Sabah.”

Muli namang nanawagan ang DFA sa mga undocumented migrant Filipino worker na boluntaryong sumuko sa awtoridad upang hindi bumigat ang kaso.

Nakahanda naman ang kagawaran na tulungan ang mga ito upang makauwi ng bansa. (Pong Mercado / Ruth Navales, UNTV News)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.