by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Tuesday, March 19th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) considers the murder of 16-year old Christine Lee Silawan as case solved but not yet closed, following the arrest of one of the suspects in the brutal killing.
The main suspect was arrested by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) at his house in Barangay Maribago in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu on Saturday (March 16), several days after Silawan’s mutilated body was found on Monday (March 11).
Based on a report of UNTV News and Rescue’s Ito ang Balita by Lea Ylagan on Tuesday, PNP Spokesperson Senior Supt. Bernard Banac said a case has already been filed against the arrested suspect, identified as the 17-year old former boyfriend of the slain Cebuana teen.
Banac added that they are not yet closing the case since they are still looking into the possibility that the male suspect received help in carrying out the crime.
“Nagkaroon na ng murder charges laban sa suspect na nahuli ng NBI at ito ay isinagawa kahapon at meron pang dalawang suspek kaya’t patuloy ang pagsuporta ng PNP. Masasabi na natin ngayon na the murder case is solved but not yet closed,” Banac said in a press briefing at Camp Crame.
Based on CCTV footage retrieved by NBI from the city’s security cameras, the suspect was seen with Silawan before she was killed on March 10.
Authorities believe the victim was killed around six or seven p.m. Her body was found early Monday morning, naked waist down and half of her face was skinned. She also suffered multiple stab wounds and her tongue, throat and upper part of the neck were removed.
The NBI said they have gotten hold of a Facebook conversation between the victim and a boy which led them to believe that it was the same person as the one they have arrested.
“Based on Facebook chats, the victim and the POI (person of interest) are there to meet. Parang may ibinigay siya na items, teddy bear at ‘tsaka cellphone. ‘Yung ka-chat niya sa Facebook. In-assume namin na siya ‘yun kaya nga we are still determining whether isa lang ba ‘yung tao na ‘yun,” NBI Central Visayas Assistant Regional Director Atty. Dominador Cimafranca said.
Police said intense jealousy may have triggered the brutal killing of the young victim.
“Base sa pahayag ng NBI ay nagkaroon sila ng impormasyon na ito ay crime of passion dahil sa relasyon ng suspek doon sa biktima,” Banac said
“Subalit hindi naman doon titigil ang investigation team. Of course, titingnan pa rin lahat ang posibleng anggulo ng imbestigasyon,” he added.
Investigators have also concluded that Jonas Bueno has no involvement in the gruesome murder of Silawan.
Bueno was arrested in Davao City last March 15 (Friday) following suspicion on his link to the crime. He was the prime suspect in the killing of 60-year old Trinidad Batucan on January 11 in Danao City, Cebu, with the skin on her face and chest removed.
However, Bueno will remain in detention as he is facing charges for Batucan’s murder.
Meanwhile, the Silawan family hopes the real perpetrators of Christine’s killing will be brought to justice. – Robie de Guzman
by Maris Federez | Posted on Monday, July 8th, 2019
Senator Ronald dela Rosa has issued a public apology for his “shit happens” remark last week.
The senator’s statement stemmed from the death of a three-year-old girl during an anti-illegal drugs operation of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Rodriguez, Rizal last June 29.
Dela Rosa admitted using wrong choice of words in detailing the said incident.
“Klaruhin ko na lang, hindi maganda ang dating doon sa parents ng bata na namatay. I would like to apologize to the family yung aking wrong use of term. Dapat ang sinabi ko doon instead na ‘shit happens’, dapat unfortunate [I would like to clear, it didn’t sit well with the parents of the dead child. I would like to apologize to the family for my wrong use of term. I shouldn’t have said “shit happens” but, rather, unfortunate],” Dela Rosa said.
The newbie senator promised to be very careful with his choice of words now that he is already a lawmaker. (with details from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Tuesday, June 25th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) has reshuffled officers in several key positions effective June 25.
Police Colonel Domingo Cabillan is now the acting deputy regional director for administration of the Police Regional Office 11 or Davao region.
Meanwhile, Police Colonel Florendo Quibuyen is now the acting executive officer of the Directorate for Research and Development from his former post as officer-in-charge of the Eastern Police District.
Police Brigadier General Nolasco Bathan will take over as the director of the Eastern Police District replacing PBGen. Christopher Tambungan who was relieved for spanking a lady cop.
According to PNP Directorate for Personnel and Records Management Director PMGen. Lyndon Cubos, the newly assigned officers were recommended by the Senior Officers Promotion and Placement Board following assessment of their merits and performances on duty. – (with details from Lea Ylagan)
by Maris Federez | Posted on Monday, June 17th, 2019
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Sunday (June 16) released the co-owner of a dialysis center in Quezon City after being in detention for 6 days in connection with alleged fraudulent claims, his lawyer, Rowell Ilagan, said.
Dr. Bryan Sy, co-owner of WellMed Dialysis Center, was arrested on Monday (10) for allegedly ordering former employees to make claims for dialysis treatment from state-run Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth) on behalf of patients who had already died.
A Manila court on Saturday (June 15) ordered Sy’s release after his camp posted a P72,000 bail.
He was not, however, released immediately due to the absence of signatories from the NBI, said his lawyer.
Ilagan said Sy had to wait one more day and walked free from detention around 10:30 a.m. on Sunday.
The Department of Justice indicted Sy on June 14, along with former employees Edwin Roberto and Leizel Aileen de Leon, for estafa through falsification of official documents.
Roberto and De Leon jointly bared the alleged WellMed racket, revealing that it made P800,000 in ghost PhilHealth claims from 2016 to 2018.
WellMed lawyer, however, denied the ‘ghost claims’ with PhilHealth.
They wrote DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra and NBI Director Dante Gierran on Thursday to demand Sy’s release because his detention had exceeded 36 hours.
Under Article 125 of the Revised Penal Code, authorities have a maximum of 36 hours to detain a suspect without filing any charge in court. /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.