PNP: Car theft incidents dropped by over 50% in May 2019

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 19, 2019   •   2007

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has reported an over 50 percent drop in car theft incidents.

According to PNP Spokesperson PCol. Bernard Banac, they recorded 19 car theft incidents in May 2019 which is a 56.8 percent lower compared to the same period last year.

There were 44 reported car theft incidents in May 2018.

The PNP also reported zero car theft incidents in Regions 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13 and in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).

There is also zero car theft incident in CALABARZON which ranked second in the highest number of car theft incidents last year.

The PNP attributed the good record to the heightened operations of the PNP Highway Patrol Group against carnapping syndicates.—AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

PNP personnel to receive year-end bonus

Robie de Guzman   •   November 15, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Friday said it has released over P7 billion for the year-end bonuses of its personnel, both uniformed and non-uniformed, in active duty.

In a press release, the PNP said about P P7,481,118,702 will be given to 205,189 PNP personnel nationwide.

PNP Director for Comptrollership Maj. Gen. Jose Victor Ramos said the year-end bonus is equivalent to the amount of the monthly basic salary of each personnel along with the mandated P5,000 cash gift from the national government.

The year-end bonus has been credited to the individual ATM payroll accounts of each police personnel through the Land Bank of the Philippines, the PNP said.

For police personnel who are yet to be enrolled in the PNP’s ATM payroll system, Finance Service Director Brig. Gen. Joselito Vera Cruz said they will receive their individual cheques through their Regional Finance Service Offices.

Meanwhile, the release of year-end bonuses for police personnel with pending administrative and criminal cases will be deferred in accordance with its disciplinary policy.

DILG tells PNP to fast track probe on ambush of Lanao del Sur mayor

Robie de Guzman   •   November 13, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Wednesday directed the Philippine National Police (PNP) to speed up its investigation into the ambush of Masiu, Lanao del Sur Mayor Nasser Pangandaman Jr.

DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said the PNP, in coordination with its military counterparts, should exert all efforts to ensure the immediate arrest of the suspects behind the ambush.

“The DILG condemns this atrocity which is a huge affront to the efforts of the government through our law enforcement groups to ensure peace and order in our communities. The PNP, in coordination with its military counterparts, should exert all efforts to arrest the suspects of this dastardly act,” Año said in a statement.

Pangandaman and his convoy were ambushed by unidentified men on Sunday, Nov. 10, while on their way to a council meeting.

The mayor survived the attack but his police escort, Corporal Jabbar Pangandaman was killed while two others were injured.

Following the incident, Año called for intensified security measures from police and the military such as regular foot and mobile patrols and setting up checkpoints.

The DILG chief also said that a manhunt operation has been launched against the suspects.

Investigators are also looking into possible motives behind the ambush, including “rido” or feud between warring clans in Lanao del Sur.

“The PNP is exploring several leads and interviewing witnesses so that we can easily track down the suspects behind this ambush. We assure the Pangandaman family that all hands are on this case,” Año said.

The DILG chief has expressed his condolences to the family of Corporal Pangandaman, and assured them of the government’s assistance.

PNP eyes to complete procurement of body cams before the year-end

Robie de Guzman   •   November 11, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) is eyeing to complete the procurement of body-worn cameras to be used during anti-illegal drug operations.

PNP Officer-in-charge Lieutenant General Archie Gamboa on Monday said a post-qualification process is being conducted to six bidders to meet all the requirements.

The body cameras are expected to be delivered in the second or third quarter of 2020.

Initially promised to be rolled out in 2018, Gamboa said the procurement of the P334 million worth of body cameras was delayed for over a year due to an alleged extortion case involving three police officers.

“The funds were released 2018. Nagkaroon ng bidding, may eight proponents but in the middle of the post-qualification, I found out that three of my men in the technical working group were asking money from the proponents,” Gamboa told reporters in a briefing.

He said the anomaly was exposed after one of the losing bidders in the project complained to him as the then chairman of the PNP Bids and Awards Committee.

Gamboa identified the three policemen as Major Emerson Sales, Major Rholly Caraggayan, who are now both AWOL (absent without leave), and Major Angel Beros, who is still in active service.

“Nung na-disqualify, nag-complain sa’kin ‘yung proponent, and then, from then on, I caused the investigation,” he said.

Gamboa said the involved police officers will face criminal and administrative raps and will be dismissed from service.

“Honestly, it’s a setback on the part of the Bids and Awards Committee because I was believing myself na malinis kami,” he said.

“But of course, very isolated naman ‘yung case na ‘yun,” he added.

Vice President Leni Robredo, the newly-installed co-chairperson of the Inter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs, earlier reiterated the need for law enforcers to wear body cameras during operations to protect the agents and the operation’s integrity.

Despite the delay, Gamboa said the re-bidding process has already resumed for the project.

The acting top police official stressed the procurement process must be done before the year ends as the 2019 budget is going to expire by December 31. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Harlene Delgado)

Latest News

Do or Die Sunday at UNTV Cup

November 15, 2019   •   9 hours ago

China lifts almost 5-year ban on import of US poultry

November 15, 2019   •   9 hours ago

Bello tells OFWs: Be entrepreneurs

November 15, 2019   •   9 hours ago

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.