PNP appoints 6 senior officers to new posts

Robie de Guzman   •   September 12, 2019   •   414

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Police General Oscar Albayalde has designated six senior police officials to new posts in another round of reorganization in the PNP leadership, police spokesperson BGen. Bernard Banac said Thursday.

In a press statement, Banac said Albayalde approved the new designations upon the recommendation of the PNP Senior Officers Placement and Promotion Board.

The reorganization, triggered by the recent retirement of some PNP officers, will affect some key positions in the National Support Units and Police Regional Office, the police official said.

According to Banac, Brigadier General Joselito Esquivel Jr. is now the director of Police Regional Office 13; Brigadier General Gilberto Cruz will be the acting Director for Integrated Police Operations in Northern Luzon; and Brigadier General Alfred Corpus is the new director of Police Regional Office 12.

Meanwhile, Brigadier General Omega Jireh Fidel was appointed director of the Engineering Service; Brigadier General Rey Lyndon Lawas was designated as director of the Training Service; and Colonel Ronnie Montejo was named acting director of Quezon City Police District.

Banac said the new designations take effect Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019.

PNP renders immediate help; AFP ready to assist earthquake victims in regions 11, 12

Maris Federez   •   October 17, 2019

Mlang Police Station personnel together with Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) personnel, Mlang local government employees conduct post-earthquake damage inspection of buildings in Cotobato, Mindanao on Thursday, October 17, 2019.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) Police Regional Office (PRO) 11 and 12 have deployed their personnel to the areas affected by the earthquake that hit several towns and cities on Wednesday night (Oct. 17).

They were sent to render assistance to the local government units in maintaining peace and order, and ensure that traffic will run smoothly to avoid delay in the supply of relief goods.

According to PNP spokesperson PBGen. Bernard Banac, police are also helping in the clearing operation in the affected buildings.

Banac added that the situation in the affected areas is still under control and there is still no need to send support units from the national headquarters.

“Ang kapulisan natin ay lumabas kaagad at nagbigay ng police presence para magbigay ng order, para maassure ang public na nandyan ang ating pamahalaan. Lahat ng available manpower. Yung iba ay umalalay sa local government units para mag rescue sa mga nasaktan na biktima,” Banac said.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), meanwhile, said it is ready to deploy its personnel from the Engineering Brigade should the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) requests for it.

“Lahat naman ng ating AFP units within the area are on ready standby and with the close collaboration with the NDRRMC ready to be deployed at short notice naman, so far according to the NDRRMC ay capable pa naman yung LGU’s natin in responding to any requirements,” AFP Public Affairs Office chief, Capt. Jonathan Zata said.

Wednesday night’s tremor left 29 structures in Regions 11 and 12 with significant damage.

These malls include SM, Veranza Mall and Gaisano Mall in General Santos City, and the KCC Mall in Koronadal City.

Other structures that sustained damage were:

  • the Municipal Hall of Magsaysay in Davao Del Sur
  • the Sangguniang Bayan Building in M’Lang, Cotabato
  • the Roldan Hospital in M’Lang, Cotabato
  • the Fire Station in Makilala, Cotabato
  • and the Municipal Hospital in Carmen, Cotabato

(with details from Lea Ylagan) /mbmf

Senate asks DOJ for protection of witnesses vs. ‘ninja cops’

Maris Federez   •   October 17, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Senate Blue Ribbon Committee on Wednesday (Oct. 16) requested the Department of Justice (DOJ) to give protection to the witnesses in the Agaw-Bato operations of the so-called “ninja cops”.

In a phone interview, Blue Ribbon Committee chairman Sen. Richard Gordon said they want to ensure that the testimonies of the witnesses are filed before the Court.

“[It] means that they will go to the court and they will execute an affidavit there. And in which case, if anything happens, hopefully not, that will be admissible in court,” Gordon added.

Among the witnesses that Gordon was referring to were the barangay officials that Johnson Lee sought help from when he was arrested in the police buy-bust operation in November 2010 in the province of Pampanga.

Other witnesses were the police personnel in Mexico, Pampanga, where the alleged cover-up took place when the barangay officials brought Lee to the station.

Lee reportedly paid P50-M to the police for his release.

After releasing Lee, the police arrested another Chinese suspect.

Gordon said they will leave it to the DOJ to determine whether these officers deserve to be under the government’s witness protection program (WPP).

The senator also said they will let Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong, retired police Rudy Lacadin, and the other police officers decide if they want to undergo the said process.

Justice Sec. Guevarra said they shall await the Senate’s formal request before they set into action.

Meanwhile, Gordon said they will try their best to complete the committee report on their investigation on the said illegal operation in the police force.

The Blue Ribbon Committee chairman said that included in the report are the possible recommendations as to who must be held liable on the said illegal activity.

He stressed that resigned-Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Oscar Albayalde will still be facing charges relative to the said controversy.

“Tanungin ninyo ako kung pwede pa siyang kasuhan (Ask me if he can be charged). The answer is yes. Tanungin ninyo ko kung criminal. (Ask me if it’s a criminal [case]).  The answer could be yes, kung may enough evidence kami (if we have enough evidence). And I think we do,” Gordon said. (from the report of Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf

PNP firearms head De Leon is new PRO-7 chief

Robie de Guzman   •   October 16, 2019

Police Brigadier General Valeriano de Leon

MANILA, Philippines – Police Brigadier General Valeriano de Leon is the new chief of Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7), the Philippine National Police (PNP) said.

PNP spokesperson Bernard Banac said De Leon will formally assume the post on Thursday, Oct. 17.

A turnover ceremony, to be witnessed by PNP Officer-in-charge Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa, will be held in Cebu City.

De Leon will replace Brigadier General Debold Sinas who has been designated as the new director of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO).

He is the current head of the PNP Firearms Explosives Office (FEO) and a member of the Philippine Military Academy Makatao Class of 1989.

PNP-FEO’s deputy commander Col. Westrimundo Obinque will take over De Leon’s post until the PNP has appointed the unit’s next chief. – RRD (with details from Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.