Plane carrying first batch of Filipinos from virus-hit Japan cruise ship on way back to PH – DFA
Robie de Guzman • February 25, 2020 • 466
MANILA, Philippines – The first batch of Filipinos repatriated from the novel coronavirus-hit M/V Diamond Princess cruise ship has taken off Haneda Airport in Tokyo, Japan, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Tuesday.
In a Twitter post, the DFA said the first Philippine Airlines chartered flight is expected to arrive in Clark International Airport in Pampanga before 9 p.m.
In a separate tweet, DFA Undersecretary Brigido Dulay said 309 Filipinos from the cruise ship have boarded the first flight.
Around 143 more Filipinos, including two DFA officers and five medics from the Department of Health (DOH), have boarded the second flight.
Dulay said Japan’s Ground Self-Defense Forces assisted in the boarding procedures of Filipinos.
The DFA said the second plane is expected to arrive home sometime before midnight.
Upon arrival in the Philippines, the Filipino repatriates will be transported to a facility in the New Clark City in Capas, Tarlac to undergo a 14-day quarantine period.
A total of 538 Filipinos – 531 crew members and seven passengers – were aboard the cruise ship. Eighty of them so far have been found to be infected with the virus.
The cruise ship, moored off the Japanese coast in Yohohama near Tokyo, was placed on a quarantine after one of its passengers tested positive of the novel coronavirus disease.
The vessel, which carried 3,700 passengers and crew, reported over 690 confirmed cases of virus infection with three deaths.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) through the Philippine Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon has confirmed that no Filipinos have been reported injured or killed so far in the massive explosion that happened on August 4.
The powerful explosion which occurred at the Port of Beirut resulted in several fatalities and dozens of injuries as well as widespread damage to properties throughout the city.
Lebanon’s health ministry said the death toll has risen to at least 50 while authorities are still investigating the cause of the blast.
The Philippine Embassy calls on Filipinos in Beirut to reach out for assistance following the explosion.
MANILA, Philippines — For the second time this month, there had been no new confirmed cases and no new fatalities due to COVID-19 recorded among Filipinos abroad.
In a statement posted on Twitter, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said the report is based on the data gathered across 65 countries in the Americas, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa.
From the total confirmed cases of 9,001, the number of cases verified by the Department of Health-International Health Regulation (DOH-IHR) across regions is now at 1,478.
It added that from the total number of overseas Filipinos who are COVID-19 positive, 5,321 have already recovered and been discharged; while 3,046 are still undergoing treatment.
The DFA report also showed that the most number of COVID-19 cases was recorded in the Middle East with 6,483. This was followed by Europe with 1,070, the Asia-Pacific Region with 771, and the Americas with 698.
“While today’s figures bring hope in our fight against the pandemic, the DFA, together with its Foreign service posts, remains relentless in assisting our people who are adversely affected, and steadfast in bringing our stranded nationals home as the DFA breached the 9,400 marks in our repatriations for the past five months yesterday,” the statement further read. — /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.