Pinoys in New Zealand advised to stay indoors after mass shooting
Aileen Cerrudo • March 15, 2019 • 11597
Filipinos are urged to stay indoors following the mass shootings in two mosques in Christchurch on Friday.
According to the Department of Foreign Affairs, the Philippine Embassy in Wellington said they are currently monitoring the situation and has advised over 5,000 Filipinos in New Zealand to remain indoors.
The DFA also sends its support to New Zealand.
“The Philippines stands in solidarity with New Zealand following the tragic shootings in Christchurch this morning. Our thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of those who lost their lives in the tragedy,” the DFA said in a statement.
Meanwhile, the New Zealand Police continue to respond to the incident and has confirmed a number of fatalities. They are also in custody of four individuals involved in the incident.
During a press conference, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described the incident as “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”—Aileen Cerrudo
Two New Zealand hikers survived for more than 18 days in a densely-forested national park before being found alive on Wednesday (May 27), rescue officials said.
Jessica O’Connor and Dion Reynolds, both 23, hiked into Kahurangi National Park in the northwest of New Zealand’s South Island on May 9, and were expected to return in five days. They were reported missing by a friend on May 18.
A search helicopter located the pair on Wednesday afternoon, and they were taken to be medically assessed at a hospital, police said.
Police said initial indications were that the pair became lost in fog during the first few days of their hike. They decided to stay put and had run out of food by the time they were found.
At 452,002 hectares (1116921.27 acres), Kahurangi National Park is New Zealand’s second largest national park. It was also one of the locations for the filming of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. (Reuters)
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Embassy in Wellington on Friday urged Filipino workers in New Zealand to take precautionary measures after the country confirmed its first case of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
In an advisory, the embassy told Filipinos to follow the safety measures outlined by New Zealand’s Ministry of Health to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
These measures include:
Avoiding close contact with people with cold or flu-like symptoms
Covering coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing
Washing of hands for at least 20 seconds with water and soap and dry them thoroughly:
before eating or handling food
after using the toilet
after coughing, sneezing, blowing your nose or wiping children’s noses
after caring for sick people
New Zealand on Friday confirmed that its first case of coronavirus is a person who recently returned from Iran.
In a statement, New Zealand’s Health Ministry said the patient, who is in their 60s, tested positive in results conducted earlier.
It added that the patient is also currently receiving treatment and is in improving condition.
“The Ministry of Health of New Zealand assured that the chances of community outbreak remain low as the patient is in isolation in a negative pressure room to prevent any spread of the disease,” the Philippine embassy said.
Authorities also urged those who have been in contact with the patient or those who took the final leg of the flight back to Auckland on board the Emirates flight EK450 on February 26 to contact New Zealand’s COVID-19 Healthline number 0800 358 5453.
The Philippine Embassy in Wellington assured it is monitoring the situation and advised Filipinos requiring assistance to immediately contact the dedicated COVID-19 health line number.
New Zealand confirmed its first case of the new coronavirus on Friday (February 28) in someone who returned from Iran but said the chances of a community outbreak remains low.
The patient — in their 60s — tested positive for COVID-19 earlier in the day. The person is being treated in Auckland City Hospital and their condition is improving, New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern said.
Public health officials have begun tracing the patient’s contact history and will test the individual’s family members for the virus.
The person traveled on an Emirates Airline flight that originated in Tehran, stopped in Bali, Indonesia, and ended in Auckland on Feb 26.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.