Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

PINK taxis for women and PWD’s officially launched by LTFRB

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, March 12th, 2015

Some of the PINK taxi units launched by the LTFRB (UNTV News)

MANILA, Philippines – After the launching of the pink jeepneys, UVs and buses in Metro Manila, 60 pink taxis were officially launched by Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) on Wednesday as a part of their Pink4 Project.

“The four “K”, that was [sic] I mentioned a while ago, “K” raised to the fourth, because these sectors of our society have a hard time transporting,” LTFRB Chairman Winston Ginez said.

Pink taxi will be rendering service to women, youth, senior citizens and persons with disabilities.

LTFRB Chairman calls on the attention of operators to cooperate and be a part of this project.

“We are continuously encouraging operators to join this project so that there will not just be 60 units of LBR taxi which are part of this project,” Ginez said.

Actor and TV host Luis “Lucky” Manzano, one of the owners of LBR taxi also arrived at the launching of the pink taxi.

He said that it is just to serve and help the four sectors of our society with this pink project.

“It’s a way of giving back, we have been really blessed. It’s ok to lose some as long as we can help passengers from point A to point B,” Manzano said.

As stated in JAO 2014-01 of LTFRB, officials of LTFRB reminded taxi drivers that there will be appropriate actions for taxi drivers who will not render proper service to passengers.

The launching of pink taxis is in line with the celebration of the International Women’s Month to give priority to women especially the persons with disabilities (PWDs) in public vehicles. (Aiko Miguel /UNTV News)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Groups to ask court to halt new UV Express point-to-point policy

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Wednesday, June 12th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Several transport and commuter groups are looking to file a petition before the court that will seek to suspend the new point-to-point policy for UV Express Service units.

The memorandum circular 2019-025 of the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) requires UV Express Service vehicles to operate on a terminal-to-terminal basis only.

This means that UV Express drivers will no longer be allowed to pick up and drop off passengers at any place between the designated stops.

The LTFRB initially set its implementation at the start of this month but deferred it to the middle of June to give way to consultations with stakeholders.

READ: LTFRB suspends point-to-point ops of UV express

The new order has earned oppositions from commuters and transport groups, who continue to argue that it will only bring further inconvenience to the riding public aside from affecting the income of UV Express drivers.

“Imagine, point-to-point tayo na ibaba nila sa Buendia at from Buendia ay babalik sila sa QC Circle, bakit? Hindi sila pwede bumaba sa Philcoa eh,” said Ariel Inton, president of the Lawyers for Commuters Safety and Protection group.

Jun Magno, head of the Stop and Go Transport Coalition, also echoed Inton’s sentiments.

“’Pag ‘yun po ay natuloy, ‘yan po ang UV express ay ito po ay natural death patayan na ang UV Express ‘yan maniwala kayo,” said Magno.

Some commuters also aired their concerns about the additional fare they would have to pay and the travel time they would have to take due to the altered transport service.

READ: LTFRB urged to set UV express loading, unloading zones

Transport groups have renewed their call to the LTFRB to designate loading and unloading zones for UV Express service units.

They have also started a signature campaign against the policy, which they say has garnered 10,000 signatures so far. The groups were aiming to collect at least one million signatures for the campaign.

Aside from filing a petition before the Quezon City Regional Trial Court, the groups also plan to bring their complaint to the next Congress and launch a transport strike against the policy. (with details from Grace Casin)

Tags: , , , ,

No renewal of franchise for hatchback TNVS units – LTFRB

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Tuesday, June 11th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Several groups of transport network vehicle service (TNVS) marched in protest on Tuesday (June 11) against the deactivation of their franchise from Grab PH’s systems of operations.

The protesters were drivers of hatchbacks units with no existing franchise. They said they were working to complete the needed requirements but the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) wouldn’t allow them to renew their franchise.

But LTFRB Chairman Martin Delgra argued that they already announced some time ago that they wouldn’t renew the franchise of hatchback units once their registrations expire.

Delgra added that they considered hatchback units before out of consideration for the drivers and to augment the services of regular TNVS units.

But they made it clear that hatchbacks should be replaced with standard units within the given transition period.

“So as not to disrupt the service and in consideration of hatchbacks at that time ini-allow natin in transition ang hatchbacks,” Delgra explained.

“But only until after their franchises expired, such that under the new rules even at the time when we open up the 10,000 last December and the 20 earlier this year and even the 10,00 yesterday wala na po tayong hatchback kasi po it’s really not up to standard,” he added.

Based on LTFRB regulation, units with motor engines of 1200cc such as hatchbacks shall no longer be accepted to operate as TNVS due to safety issues.

Such regulation disappointed hatchback drivers.

“Ang mga sasakyan po namin karamihan ito po ay loan sa bangko, hindi pa po tapos ang pagbabayad namin dito kung papalitan po namin hindi po basta basta ang pera sa amin,” argued Leonardo De Leon, president of the Hatchback Community.

Earlier today, representatives of Grab PH met with officials of the LTFRB to discuss the deactivation of 8,000 Grab drivers as well as the other complaints such as not giving discounts to students, senior citizens, and persons with disability.

Brian Cu, president of Grab PH, clarified that they deactivated only 5,000 drivers or those removed from their system.

The other 3,000 were able to submit their complete documents and so Grab will help facilitate their franchise application.

With all these issues, Grab assured there will be no surge rate hike although a fare increase might be possible.

“Prices will not be affected. The current fares should stay the same ngayon,” Cu said.

“I-mo-monitor namin yan. We will closely monitor that should prices go up we will adjust fares downwards as we still have commitments to the PCC,” he added.

Meanwhile, Grab clarified that they have been giving discounts to students, senior citizens, and PWDs because the passengers account especially age and status are reflected in their system.

Grab admitted that if a senior citizen is booked by a different person, no fare discount will apply.

The company, however, assured that it is finding ways to resolve the issue.

“We are further developing or exploring possibilities to make it easier and to make the process simpler for seniors, PWDs and students but at the same time still safeguarding from fraud and possible abuse,” explained Atty. Jenicka Hosaka, Grab PH’s Public Affairs Manager.

The LTFRB has asked Grab PH to submit a complete list of drivers without franchise as well as details regarding discounted fares.

Tags: , , , ,

Grab drivers, operators to protest deactivation of 8,000 TNVS accounts

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Tuesday, June 11th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – A group of transport network vehicle service (TNVS) drivers and operators is set to hold a protest action against Grab Philippines’ deactivation of 8,000 TNVS accounts.

The ride-hailing company earlier announced that it is removing at least 8,000 accounts by June 10 for failing to submit proof of provisional authority to operate from the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB).

READ: Grab to deactivate at least 8,000 driver accounts by June 10

The group of TNVS drivers and operators, Hatchback Community, said the protest caravan against Grab PH’s deactivation plan will be held on Tuesday at the Quezon City Circle.

Leonardo de Leon, the head of the Hatchback Community, questioned the move because their members have been working to submit the required documents.

The group also wants to air their grievances about LTFRB’s way of processing their franchise application.

“Ang problema po ay ang LTFRB, hindi po nila tinatanggap ang aming aplikasyon ng mga hatchback units,” he said.

“Based po sa Memorandum Circular na inilabas nila noong February 2018, binibigyan ng three years [na] transition period ang hatchback pero ito, kung may 3 taon na transition period, dapat po tanggapin nila yung mga nagaapply na nasa platform na ni Grab,” he added.

In its order last year, the LTFRB allowed hatchbacks to operate as TNVS but only within Metro Manila. A three-year transition period was also set before their vehicles will be phased out in 2021.

The group also complained about LTFRB’s tedious process in submitting of documents including bank conformity, proof of financial capability and assume balance issue.

They also allegedly encountered difficulty in attending hearings for the issuance of a certificate of public convenience.

On Tuesday (June 11), officials from the Grab PH will face the LTFRB to explain about the deactivation of 8,000 TNVS accounts from its system.

Grab PH earlier admitted their reduced number of vehicles servicing commuters will inconvenience many passengers, worsen the current lack of drivers and spur fare spikes due to higher demand.

The ride-hailing service firm also urged those among the deactivation list to take advantage of the 10,000 TNVS slots that the LTFRB will open starting Monday, June 10. (with details from Joan Nano)

Tags: , , , ,