Pimentel supports President Duterte on replacing Smartmatic
Maris Federez • June 1, 2019 • 2095
Senator Aquilino Pimentel III has expressed his support to President Rodrigo Duterte when he said he wants the Commission on Elections (Comelec) “to dispose of that Smartmatic and look for a new one that is free of fraud.”
The chairman of the Senate Committee on Electoral Reforms said he holds the same sentiment on the matter.
“I was thinking along the same lines. But we are only up to recommending to the Comelec,” Pimentel said.
Pimentel added that he had long been pushing for hybrid elections which was prompted by the investigation that his committee had conducted on the alleged cheating in the 2010 elections that used the Smartmatic system. (with details from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf
The Senate Committee on Electoral Reforms has started its hearing on the proposed postponement of the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections from May 2020 to October 2022.
The hearing also tackled on other proposals relative to the elections, such as the use of a hybrid election system.
The members of the committee agreed that the said election should be set for another date.
“So everybody agree that there should be postponement. Ngayon ang diskusyon, ang gusto ng minority as represented by Sen. Drilon kanina ang sinasabi nya 2021 Mayo para di na dikit sa 2022. Pero sa kabila nun kami naman ang sinasabi namin ni Sen. Bong Go, ipostpone na natin pagkatapos ng national dahil ang daming dapat gawin [Now, the discussion is on what the minority as represented by Sen. (Franklin) Drilon said earlier that they want it to happen in May 2021 so it will not be too close to 2022. But on the other hand, what we were saying, along with Sen. Bong Go, is to postpone it until after the national elections as there are still lots to be done],” Senate Committee on Electoral Reforms chairperson Imee Marcos said.
The committee will consult its counterpart in the House of Representatives on the proposed postponement. (with details from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf
Youth groups congregated in front of the office of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to protest against the congressional bid of former National Youth Commission (NYC) chairman Ronald Cardema under the Duterte Youth party list.
Kabataan Partylist, Youth Act Now Against Tyranny and other youth groups voiced their opposition to Cardema’s bid and appeal to Comelec to junk the former official’s petition for a seat in Congress.
This, they say, will give Comelec the opportunity to prove that the last election was indeed fraud-free.
The group stressed that Cardema is not qualified to represent a youth group.
Comelec commissioners Rowena Guanzon and Luie Tito Guia had earlier stated Cardema cannot take a seat in Congress under the Duterte Youth party list for several grounds:
that Cardema was not able to comply with the submission of documents when the Duterte Youth filed their Certificate of Nomination and Acceptance (CONA); and
that Cardema already past the age requirement of 30 for a youth representative
Comelec is yet to come up with a final decision. (with reports from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has yet to come up with a final decision on the case of National Youth Commission (NYC) chairman Ronald Cardema as a new petition has been filed before the poll body against his nomination as Duterte Youth representative.
Former Comelec chair Sixto Brillantes Jr. and election lawyer Romulo Macalintal on Monday (June 17) filed a petition before the poll body to reject Cardema’s substitution bid.
Comelec First Division resumed hearing on Wednesday.
“Pangalawa na po ito at pirmado ng mga Abugadong si Atty Sixto Brillantes at si Atty Romulo Macalintal. Dahil dito may hearing po ang First Division,” Commissioner Rowena Guanzon said.
She added, “maaaring ma- consolidate o isasabay na ang pagdedesisyon sa mga kasong ito para mapadali ang pag- resolusyon.”
Guanzon also said that they will not release their final decision until the hearings on all the petitions against Cardema’s bid for a congressional seat.
Guanzon and Commissioner Luie Tito Guia also stressed that Cardema cannot assume the position as the representative of Duterte Youth because he and the party-list group were not able to comply with the submission of documents when they filed their Certificate of Nomination and Acceptance (CONA).
The two Comelec officials added that Cardema is already past the required age of 30.
Under Republic Act 7941 or the Party-list System Act, youth party-list representatives must be within 25 and 30 age range.
Cardema’s camp, on the other hand, had earlier reiterated that Duterte Youth does not only represent the young people but also the young professionals that is why he is still qualified to sit as its first nominee. (with reports from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.