Philhealth to shoulder medical expenses of hospitalized COVID-19 patients

Robie de Guzman   •   March 27, 2020   •   1156

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (Philhealth) on Thursday said it will shoulder the medical bills of Filipinos who will get hospitalized due to novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Philhealth President and CEO Ricardo Morales said the agency will pay for the medical expenses of COVID-19 patients confined in public and private hospitals, especially health workers who are on the frontline of the fight against the viral disease.

He, however, clarified that COVID-19 patients who are under self-quarantine are not covered by the program since the agency could not compute their medication expenses.

“Mayroon tayong mga naka-quarantine sa bahay, hindi natin masasagot yun dahil unang-una, hindi naman natin alam kung ano yung kanilang ginamit na gamot o yung kanilang ginamit na process,” he said in a televised briefing.

“Yung lang nako-confine yung lang ang masasagot ng Philhealth kasi prescribed yung mga gamot at saka yung ginamit na process sa pasyente,” he added.

Morales said the state health insurance agency has so far released P1.6 billion to hospitals as prepositioned fund in response to COVID-19 pandemic. This amount is part of the P30 billion budget that the agency earlier allocated for the public health crisis.

The government earlier ordered the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes to transfer more than P420 million to Philhealth to be used for its COVID-19 packages.

For more information, Philhealth may be reached through its Action Center at 02-84417442. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)

Face shields required for public transport passengers starting August 15

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 5, 2020

To protect public transport commuters against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), they will be required to wear face shields, beginning August 15, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said.

Based on a memorandum circular of the DOTr, transport sector leaders are directed to implement a “no-face shield, no- ride” policy which will be effective in areas under General Community Quarantine (GCQ) and Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ).

DOTr Spokesperson Goddes Hope Libiran said transmission is very critical in public transportation.

“Nag-add tayo ng stricter health and sanitation protocol, iyong pagsusuot ng full-face shield sa pasahero (We added stricter health and sanitation protocol which includes wearing full-face shields), she said.

Meanwhile, Taytay, Rizal has already released an ordinance on mandatory face shields.

Several commuters, however, raised concerns over additional expenses amid the pandemic. The DOTr said it is better to purchase face shields instead of paying for hospital bills later due to infection. AAC (with reports from Asher Cadapan Jr.)

DepEd to virtually launch learning continuity plan ahead of class opening

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 5, 2020

In preparation for the opening of classes, the Department of Education (DepEd) will conduct a virtual launch that will feature schools’ localized implementation of the Basic Education Learning Continuity Plan (BE-LCP).

DepEd’s ‘Handang Isip, Handa Bukas’ will be launched on Monday (August 10) where 10 schools of different types nationwide are set to show how they have contextualized the BE-LCP through simulation activities.

Mga pampublikong paaralan, ipapakita ang kanilang kahandaan para sa SY 2020-2021Agosto 4, 2020 — Habang papalapit ang…

Posted by DepEd Philippines on Monday, August 3, 2020

The schools that will participate will include: Navotas National High School, Mangayon Elementary School, Don Ruben E. Ecleo Sr. Memorial National High School, Calay IP School, Malaya Elementary School, Don Luis Hidalgo Memorial School (Rural-Complete School), Sucao ES (Multigrade School), Santiago City NHS (Urban-Medium), Shining Light Academy (Private), and TAGUMpay Palengskwelahan ALS Center (Community Learning Center).

Parents and learners that will participate will also provide testimonies of their experiences during the dry runs.

The program will be livestreamed on DepEd’s Facebook page, government channels, and other regional local channels. AAC

Over 120K repatriated OFWs return to their provinces

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 5, 2020

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on Tuesday (August 4) reported that more than 120,000 repatriated overseas Filipino workers (OFW) are now back in their respective provinces.

DOLE Secretary Silvestre Bello III said that according to the Overseas Workers Welfare Administratio (OWWA), the department has assisted and sent home 122,369 OFWs since May.

“We will not get tired of assisting our returning OFWs, and facilitate their transport to the provinces and be with their families. This is just a small way to repay their enormous contribution to our country,” Bello said.

The labor chief also said that the labor department has almost exhausted the P2.5-billion AKAP assistance fund being extended to both on-site and repatriated OFWs affected by the pandemic. AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.