PH inks deal with Japanese firm for procurement of 2 PCG patrol ships

Robie de Guzman   •   February 7, 2020   •   388

DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade (L) and Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. president and CEO, Koji Okura (R) led the signing of the contract for the supply and delivery of two (2) units of Multi-Role Response Vessels (MRRVs) under the Maritime Safety Capability Improvement Project, Phase II, 7 February 2020.

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Transportation (DOTr) on Friday said it has signed a deal with Japanese firm Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. to supply and deliver two units of multi-role response vessels (MRRV) for the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG).

DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade and Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. president and CEO, Koji Okura led the signing of the contract held earlier in the day.

During the ceremony, Tugade said the development, which is under phase II of Maritime Safety Capability Improvement Project, is a breakthrough towards the government’s thrust of modernizing and upgrading the country’s maritime protection and border control.

“The modernization of the Philippine Coast Guard has been going fast and quick and very meaningful… The government of Japan has contributed very much, and to which I express my appreciation for your continued support,” he added.

The MRRVs are measuring approximately 94-meters, have a maximum speed of not less than 24 knots and an endurance of not less than 4,000 nautical miles.

The additional patrol vessels are seen to further boost the PCG’s response to maritime incidents in the country’s waters, up to the exclusive economic zone (EEZ), such as search and rescue operations, maritime security operations, and marine environmental protection, among others.

“It is a big stride to the development of this country in the context of maritime security and maritime safety,” PCG Commandant Admiral Joel Garcia said.

The new vessels are expected to be delivered to the country by 2022.

President Koji Okura, meanwhile, expressed his intent to continuously work with the Philippine government in delivering various projects, and initiatives.

“We look forward to working with you all, in this important project and we sincerely appreciate your continuous cooperation to make this project successful,” he said.

7-year-old cancer patient allowed to travel to Cebu for treatment amid lockdown

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 7, 2020

The Port Management Office of Lanao del Norte has allowed a 7-year-old cancer patient to travel to Cebu for his treatment amid the community quarantine.

Iligan City was placed under community quarantine last March 16 to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the area.

In a statement, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said the patient left Iligan on April 5 through the assistance of the local government unit (LGU) and the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG).

The DOTr said that the community quarantine has caused a delay in the child’s medical check-up and it was imperative for them to allow him to travel to Cebu due to his already serious condition.

“Hindi na maaari pang ipagpaliban ang pagpapagamot sa bata dahil na rin sa kanyang maselang kalagayan (The child’s treatment can no longer be delayed because of his serious condition),” the DOTr said. AAC

DOTr to turn 2GO passenger vessels into quarantine ships

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 6, 2020

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) has partnered with 2GO shipping for the use of the latter’s passenger vessels as quarantine ships.

In a statement on Facebook, the DOTr announced that they will use 2GO’s passenger vessels as quarantine ships for returning seafarers and Overseas Filipino Worker (OFWs) who will undergo the 14-day quarantine.

2GO shipping has agreed to convert two of their ships which can accommodate up to 1,500 patients and are set to be operational by next week.

According to DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade, most of the hospitals in Metro Manila have already reached their full capacity and are seeking assistance.

“Most hospitals in Metro Manila have already pleaded for help in attending to COVID-19 patients. We will deploy these ‘quarantine ships’ to help our hospitals, our health workers, and our countrymen,” he said. AAC

TAGS   ,

MRT-3 orders sanction on security guard caught jogging on train tracks

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 27, 2020

The management Merto Rail Transit (MRT-3) has ordered Kaizen Security Agency to sanction the security guard caught on video jogging on the MRT-3 train tracks.

Based on the management’s initial investigation, the individual in the viral video is a security guard from Kaizen Security Agency who is assigned at MRT-3 Ortigas Station.

“This action is prohibited and will not be tolerated. Thus, the MRT-3 Management has immediately directed Kaizen to apply the necessary sanctions against the guard involved,” their statement reads.

The MRT-3 reminded their personnel to be more cautious of their actions and “follow all rules and regulations enforced by the management to avoid this kind of scenario.” AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.