PH envoy to Brazil could face charges for staff abuse
Marje Pelayo • October 28, 2020 • 362
MANILA, Philippines — Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Locsin Jr. on Wednesday (October 28) vowed to address ‘to the fullest extent of the law’ the incidents of physical abuse by former Philippine Ambassador to Brazil Marichu Mauro against her household staff.
In a series of tweets, Locsin said the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) will be “firm in meting out the appropriate sanctions and administrative or criminal charges” on the former envoy if results of the investigation on the matter would demand as such.
Locsin broke the news of Mauro’s recall from post on Monday (October 26).
The incident of physical abuse by Mauro against her staff was aired over Brazilian news outlet GloboNews with dates listed on the video footage as taken in March, August and October this year.
As the Philippine Ambassador to Brazil, Mauro also held concurrent jurisdiction over Colombia and Venezuela.
MANILA, Philippines – A formal charge has been served on former Philippine Ambassador to Brazil Marichu Mauro over her alleged acts of abuse against her Filipina household service staff, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said Monday.
On his Twitter account, Locsin said the formal charge was served on Mauro on Monday morning and that he has already informed President Rodrigo Duterte about it.
“Charge served on her at 8:25 a.m. today. I sent a Memo to the President on it,” he said.
“The Hearing Panel’s report and charge will be passed upon and approved/disapproved by the Board of Foreign Service Administration; and finally by the Secretary. It shouldn’t take too long,” he added.
Mauro returned to the Philippines last week after she was recalled from her post following the release of video footage showing her berating and mistreating her household staff.
Locsin earlier said he has formed a panel to look into the series of alleged physical abuse that Mauro committed against her household helper.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Tuesday denied a report that a group of former diplomats is supporting the embattled ex-Philippine Ambassador to Brazil.
The DFA issued the statement following confirmation that the country’s former envoy Marichu Mauro has returned to the country to face an investigation into her alleged acts of abuse towards her household service staff.
“The Department of Foreign Affairs is not aware of the existence of the so-called ‘Department of Foreign Affairs Career Officers Corps’ and the ‘Retired Ambassadors Association,’” the department said.
“The reported statement of such organizations on the case of the former Philippine Ambassador to Brazil does not, in any way, reflect the position of the Department nor the sentiment of its career corps,” it added.
Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go earlier said Mauro has arrived in the country late Monday night.
She is expected to face the panel formed by the DFA to look into the series of alleged physical abuse she committed against her household helper as shown in CCTV videos released by a Brazilian media last month.
The DFA earlier assured the conduct of a thorough investigation and to mete out appropriate sanctions based on its findings.
“The Department stands by its resolve to respond to the matter in accordance with, and to the fullest extent of the law,” it said.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.